Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs Miguel Cotto: Who is the real "A" side?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by In Motion View Post

Some key components to follow.

Relevant PPV/revenue landscape - Miguel Cotto

Cotto vs Martinez - 315,000
    Cotto vs Mayweather - 1,500,000
    Cotto vs Pacquiao - 1,250,000
    Cotto vs Margarito II - 600,000

Relevant PPV landscape - Saul Canelo Alvarez

Canelo vs Angulo - 350,000
    Canelo vs Mayweather - 2,200,000
    Canelo vs Lara - 300,000
    Canelo vs Mosley - Part of the Mayweather vs Cotto co-feature.
    Canelo vs Kirkland - Free; most viewed cable bout since 2006 with a 2.3 mil peak.

I'm too lazy to record the live gate for some of their most recent bouts so maybe someone else could record those. I know that they sold some real cheap tickets for Canelo's fights against Trout and Lara, but the turnout was pretty good for very large venues. As far as complete sell-outs, I'm not sure.

I'm also aware that there was a poor turnout for Cotto's fights against Martinez and Trout.

Perhaps someone could find out which fighter has had more consecutive sell outs?
    The bold really needs to be put in its proper context. Lets not act like the Floyd vs Manny replay didn't play a MAJOR part in those numbers.

To answer the question IMO Cotto is the "A" side

Comment

• Canelo, people who say Cotto don't understand boxing today. Cotto has been around longer that's why his numbers look better on paper but right now, Canelo is the bigger draw.

Think about the amount of people he gets anywhere West of the Mississippi. Cotto only sells out MSG.

Comment

• Originally posted by tredh View Post
        Lets not act like the Floyd vs Manny replay didn't play a MAJOR part in those numbers.
        And let's also not act like HBO put Canelo with that fight by mistake.

The answer to this question is easy, just look at HBO....

They gave Canelo a long term deal, and just paid him $3.5 million for his last fight.

They wouldn't even take Cotto's next fight unless by itself.

Comment

• Both did just 30OK PPV buys in their last fights. So maybe this is a 50-50 split with no A-side. Both are class B anyway for being beaten by Mayweather, just like #48.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spit Dialect View Post
            Canelo, people who say Cotto don't understand boxing today. Cotto has been around longer that's why his numbers look better on paper but right now, Canelo is the bigger draw.

Think about the amount of people he gets anywhere West of the Mississippi. Cotto only sells out MSG.
            Cotto never sold out MSG eh? And Canelo has never even been on the East Coast, such epic failure in this post lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
              Not necessarily. Has to be that you can't comprehend simple English.
              I fixed it for you! Thank me later.

Comment

• Lot's of interesting opinions.

Comment

Working...
                X