Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honestly is Martinez even worth 20 percent of PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

martinez has a pretty good fanbase right now...the numbers he did pre chavez jr fight dont apply as his argentinian and mexican following has dramatically increased by the looks of all the media attention he's been getting

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Probably not. Not at 154. I don't pay that much attention to what fighters make, so I don't know if 5% of the PPV from fighting Mayweather would be compared to the money he usually gets.

If he did agree to that low an offer, it would only be because he expects the exposure he gets to make him riches afterwards, like Mayweather did with Oscar.
      Possibly but as crazy as it sounds, money is not the only motivator for some boxers. I mean sure, it is a factor but Sergio has an old school mentality more so than some of these other guys and appears to want to establish a legacy more than anything else. The dude grew up drinking tea for dinner, that's how poor he was so I think at this juncture he is richer than he could ever have imagined he'd be at this point in his life.

I guess my point is that I don't think Floyd could push him away from the fight using money as a means. Sure beating Mayweather would earn him a bunch of exposure and dramatically increase his earning potential but it would also add Mayweather's name to his resume, which I feel would mean more to Sergio than an extra couple of mill.

Fighting/beating Floyd and earning big money go hand in hand so it does appear quite difficult to defend against money being a prime motivator.

Comment

Maybe my question wasnt clearly laid out well. Im not denying skill wise that Martinez deserves a good payday but in all honesty is he worth it being that he hasnt really blipped on casual fans radar even after the run hes been on since pwill 1. Does anyone honestly thknk Floyd will give him 20 percent when he hasnt even done that for proven draws?

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          That's what I'm saying....even if Floyd tries to "spit in his face" so to speak and only offers him 2 mil, let's say, Martinez won't be any worse off financially than he would otherwise be fighting any other boxer. Throw in the fact that he has a chance to be THE GUY to beat Floyd Mayweather, yeah.......I can't see him walking away from that fight. I can see Floyd feigning an injury to get out of it though, lol.
          Yeah, but I'm guessing Floyd and his people would offer Martinez something in the vicinity of 5 million+ which wouldn't be that bad of an offer. Still, I just can't see this fight taking place this year (or possibly ever), not when Floyd has Canelo all but lined up for September. Which is the easier fight and the bigger PPV blockbuster.

Comment

YES U IDIOT
            because mayweather martinez woul do way more ppv than guerrero could ever do just because hes actually a top 5 p4p fighter
            purse would be bigger
            duno if it applies to ppv but
            floyd can make 60-70% (duno what the ghost split is) of 1 million buys

or 80% of 1.5 million

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTrue View Post
              Maybe my question wasnt clearly laid out well. Im not denying skill wise that Martinez deserves a good payday but in all honesty is he worth it being that he hasnt really blipped on casual fans radar even after the run hes been on since pwill 1. Does anyone honestly thknk Floyd will give him 20 percent when he hasnt even done that for proven draws?
              On paper, no. But it's obvious this fight could be marketed well and could be a big PPV fight. Martinez has an interesting personality and has gotten plenty of exposure with Latinos since the Chavez Jr fight. It's also evident this fight could be Floyd's most dangerous fight to date, which will get casual fans interested. So it's not really "does he deserve the money", but does the fight sell? And the answer is yes. Remember, before Floyd fought Oscar he was doing around 300-350k in PPV sales, not bad numbers but how did he go from that to making 1 million+ per PPV? Think about it, sometimes a fighter just needs the platform to showcase what he's got.

Like I said though, Floyd would offer him a flat rate instead of giving him a % of anything.
              Last edited by _original_; 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

He wants to fight Mayweather for the paycheck. Don't get confused, man.
                Chavez was mostly for the pay-check, but I think Mayweather is more for the legacy. Sergio knows that his name will ring bells if he beats Floyd. Who doesn't want to beat the guy on the throne??

If Martinez only wants Floyd for the paycheck, can't that be said for EVERY other potential opponent as well?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTrue View Post
                  he broke the attendance record at thomas and mack
                  and there where alotta Argentinian fans there
                  pretty sure that was 3rd biggest ppv of year too

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Possibly but as crazy as it sounds, money is not the only motivator for some boxers. I mean sure, it is a factor but Sergio has an old school mentality more so than some of these other guys and appears to want to establish a legacy more than anything else. The dude grew up drinking tea for dinner, that's how poor he was so I think at this juncture he is richer than he could ever have imagined he'd be at this point in his life.

I guess my point is that I don't think Floyd could push him away from the fight using money as a means. Sure beating Mayweather would earn him a bunch of exposure and dramatically increase his earning potential but it would also add Mayweather's name to his resume, which I feel would mean more to Sergio than an extra couple of mill.

Fighting/beating Floyd and earning big money go hand in hand so it does appear quite difficult to defend against money being a prime motivator.
                    I do like Martinez, and think he's a great fighter, but I don't take his want for a Mayweather fight seriously anymore. If it was all about proving he was the best, he would move down and prove he can make the weight, and put the pressure on Mayweather to make the fight.

With every fight where he doesn't do that, I personally believe he isn't nearly as concerned with beating Mayweather as he is with making the money involved.

Comment

I do like Martinez, and think he's a great fighter, but I don't take his want for a Mayweather fight seriously anymore. If it was all about proving he was the best, he would move down and prove he can make the weight, and put the pressure on Mayweather to make the fight.

With every fight where he doesn't do that, I personally believe he isn't nearly as concerned with beating Mayweather as he is with making the money involved.
                      ii couldnt agree more why this fight with murray when he couldve moved down and fought k9 or angulo.

Comment

Working...
                      X