Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Heavy Bags for training...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Heavy Bags for training...

Does anyone know of a good heavy bag that comes on a stand, that doesn't hang? My room is small with no garage and it would be nice to just hit the bag in the house, when i can't make it to the gym.

as many guys will say most freestanding bags are not the best. i have had the century wavemaster. you cant wail on it becuase it wont last. title just put out a new line of freestanding bags, the skyscraper its called, dying to hear some reviews. it looks good but you never know with freestanding.

Comment

I had an everlast freestanding and broke it in the first month of work. Dissapointed

Comment

Problem with the stands is that the legs hinder movement, so you can't circle the bag without having to watch out for the legs.

I don't have a place to hang my bag because my house is not brick. I use the Wavemaster XXL. Read up on Rosstraining, he goes through how to maximise the Wavemaster XXL. took me a few hours, but I filled up over 100kg of sand and water, it still moves though not a lot, but it doesn't trick for now.

Comment

dont buy those free standing bags. thats not a real workout. you cant hit them hard, they always glide around. avoid them

Comment

I agree with everyone that hanging heavy bags are better than free standing bags. First, the center of gravity is different on a free standing heavy bag and you don't get the same kind experience when you strike it. Second, hanging bags tend to move around a little. This can help you work on your timing and speed. Free standing bags don't move in the same way so you don't get this advantage.

Also, nearly all the free standing heavy bags I've used have been pretty bad Only Century seems to make decent free standing bags, so if you need to go with one I'd stick with Century. The Wavemaster XXL is a decent bag or you could also check out the BOB bag if you want something a little more realistic. This site seems to have a pretty objective review of the BOB bag.

Comment

If you HAVE to get a freestanding heavy bag, the Wavemaster XXL is the best one. I've had it and it lasted me a while but people are right, you can't hit it full power without it going all over the place. You can still get a good workout though.

The best option for a heavy bag that doesn't hang is the Century Cornerman. This is what I currently use and I love it. Nothing beats a bag that hangs, but this is the next best thing.

Pros
              You don't need to load it with weights
              Because of it's long and wide base, it doesn't move that much
              It hangs down and swings so you can actually practice footwork
              It can hold 100lb bags

Cons
              There is really only one con, which is it takes a lot of space. Requires a lot of space and tall ceilings

http://www.centurymma.com/assets/images/15162-lg.jpg

Comment

The heavy bag is primarely used to add strength, so hitting the bag at the height of your own chest to shoulders is the shortest straightest punch which should be your most powerfull shot!
                You don't "aim" shots at a bag (to the head) you simply build strength and stamina.
                Also once you hit the body really hard for a few rounds that head movement will slow down then its easier to hit that!!! HA!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                X