No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome display here..........

This was AWEsome to watch man! Where is the rest of the fight analyzed like this?? It took Cotto a couple of rounds to get in to the fight. He was trying to gauge Floyd's hand-speed to see what he could land on him clean I think. Floyd easily won the first couple of rounds and then Cotto warmed up a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
      So what it about their respective styles that makes you think that Paq-May is an even fight?
      1. Manny steps in on the front foot leading with awkward angle combinations. Floyd leans back and rolls his shoulder and counters with a right hook or pullback straight. Advantage: Manny. Why: Manny doesn't have problems with guys who box tall. Kinda funny but he's always had fits with guys who fight with their heads low, especially when he rushes in( usually he gets a head to the groin...ouch ). Marquez made three fights hard for Manny just by dipping and throwing right leads every time Manny does a rabbit jab and stays put. Floyd's great, but he doesn't do that. His thing is to duck or lean back and roll with the Philly...while JMM spreads his legs, borderline leads with his head and fires of right straight leads. Leaning back against Manny doesn't mess with his momentum or rhythm the way a guy who mirrors his body position( three letters:JMM ) would. Speaking of which...Timmy Bradley might have a better-ish chance of adopting that particular JMM move.

2. Floyd's not as good a combination puncher as JMM, although he's way ahead on the single shot department. That's another reason why Manny struggles to get his rhythm when it's Marquez. It's like JMM saying, "You throw combos, I'll throw combos too." Combos make Manny defend, landed or not. After seeing him with Cotto, it's still pretty obvious that Floyd's more comfortable with the potshots than bunches. I mean, a twenty-something total connect percentage for a guy who bats in the forties for a decade is just...blah. So, advantage: Manny. Up two-nil.

3. Floyd springs punches, he hardly telegraphs. He hits you just when you're thinking, oh he's not gonna throw and wow, that girl next to the clapper guy is soooo--POW! Manny got hit with "trap" punches in the Clottey fight( which was boring with a big B ) because Clottey doesn't follow a rhythm and lets fly in an erratic, stop-and-go way that's a chore to read. Of course, he didn't get hurt but he did get hit. Advantage: Mayweather.

4. Floyd switches( or tries to, anyway ) style like a chameleon. When this isn't working, he'll just fall on that. He's got like, back-up plans marked A to Z. He adapts like the Ebola germ( oops, bad example ). I'm not sure if the adjustments would work on Manny's style like it did on the unlucky forty-TWO( he fought Castillo TWICE--God, some people just keep forgetting that--even Floyd^o^)but they might. Advantage: Mayweather. Back to centre.

5. Oscar vs. Bob Arum on the undercard. Twelve rounds of professional blathering for your bemusement. My call: toss-up. Bob will use his custom colostomy bag as a secret weapon and Oscar would fake a low blow to get Bob disqualified.

So there! Even Steven.
      Last edited by Clove97; 05-19-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clove97 View Post
        1. Manny steps in on the front foot leading with awkward angle combinations. Floyd leans back and rolls his shoulder and counters with a right hook or pullback straight. Advantage: Manny. Why: Manny doesn't have problems with guys who box tall. Kinda funny but he's always had fits with guys who fight with their heads low, especially when he rushes in( usually he gets a head to the groin...ouch ). Marquez made three fights hard for Manny just by dipping and throwing right leads every time Manny does a rabbit jab and stays put. Floyd's great, but he doesn't do that. His thing is to duck or lean back and roll with the Philly...while JMM spreads his legs, borderline leads with his head and fires of right straight leads. Leaning back against Manny doesn't mess with his momentum or rhythm the way a guy who mirrors his body position( three letters:JMM ) would. Speaking of which...Timmy Bradley might have a better-ish chance of adopting that particular JMM move.

2. Floyd's not as good a combination puncher as JMM, although he's way ahead on the single shot department. That's another reason why Manny struggles to get his rhythm when it's Marquez. It's like JMM saying, "You throw combos, I'll throw combos too." Combos make Manny defend, landed or not. After seeing him with Cotto, it's still pretty obvious that Floyd's more comfortable with the potshots than bunches. I mean, a twenty-something total connect percentage for a guy who bats in the forties for a decade is just...blah. So, advantage: Manny. Up two-nil.

3. Floyd springs punches, he hardly telegraphs. He hits you just when you're thinking, oh he's not gonna throw and wow, that girl next to the clapper guy is soooo--POW! Manny got hit with "trap" punches in the Clottey fight( which was boring with a big B ) because Clottey doesn't follow a rhythm and lets fly in an erratic, stop-and-go way that's a chore to read. Of course, he didn't get hurt but he did get hit. Advantage: Mayweather.

4. Floyd switches( or tries to, anyway ) style like a chameleon. When this isn't working, he'll just fall on that. He's got like, back-up plans marked A to Z. He adapts like the Ebola germ( oops, bad example ). I'm not sure if the adjustments would work on Manny's style like it did on the unlucky forty-TWO( he fought Castillo TWICE--God, some people just keep forgetting that--even Floyd^o^)but they might. Advantage: Mayweather. Back to centre.

5. Oscar vs. Bob Arum on the undercard. Twelve rounds of professional blathering for your bemusement. My call: toss-up. Bob will use his custom colostomy bag as a secret weapon and Oscar would fake a low blow to get Bob disqualified.

So there! Even Steven.
        Respect even though I disagree. I honestly don't think that a Paq-May fight would be as a competitive as the May-Cotto fight was, and I had that fight 10-2 9-3. I say that because I think that May is much more comfortable at 47 than 54. While May purposely chose to lay on the ropes at times, Cotto was successful at bullying him to the ropes and keeping him there at others. Paq won't have the size and strength advantage that Cotto had. While I agree that paq's awkwardness could allow him to catch May with something early on, I think that's his best bet. You underestimate May's combination punching and ability to adapt. He's a better combo puncher than Marquez because he's more accurate, faster, has better timing, and has better defense. Marquez simply throws more combinations, but that doesn't mean that he's better at it. May can land his combos without getting hit in return a lot better than Marquez can. I also don't see May doing too much shoulder/rolling unless it's on the inside which is somewhere that Paq doesn't want to be. May won't stand there on the outside shoulder rolling waiting on Paq to get off first. I expect him to walk Paq down for the majority of the time while setting traps in an effort to get Paq to walk into stuff. Noway this is a toss up fight in
        My opinion my man, May is a clear favorite. I'll reevaluate after Paq-Bradley but I just don't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
          ^^^ This. I can't stand fans who are like him.
          I agree, some people just can't admit when they are wrong. But after a fight, the proof is right there for you to re-watch over and over. How can anyone dispute the facts? Floyd landed more punches, harder punches, and got hit less. He controlled the pace of the fight, and was in control for most of it as well. There are no signs of him getting old, people bringing up his bleeding from the nose and the fact that he chose to fight on the ropes as signs of aging or a decline in performance is just ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
          X