Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LET'S SCORE: Paul "The Punisher" Williams vs. Erislandy "The American Dream" Lara

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I can't think of any off the top of my head.

CJ Ross got practically fired for scoring Mayweather Canelo a draw but that was after that fight of course.
    Interesting to see how some members scored the fight. From my point of view, there was never any doubt as to who won, no conceivable debate. Some fights are difficult to score, and we can argue till the cows come home over them. Close rounds are especially prone to subjectivity, so a close fight can be scored lop-sided, depending on one's prejudices. Lara-Williams isn't even close to being one of them, IMO. The commissioner of the NJSAC obviously agreed, to the point of calling the judges into his office and having them explain themselves...then subsequently suspending them.

The CJ Ross card in that fight is another good example of horrendous scoring in the face of an obvious decision. I'm glad that in recent times some boxing judges have been called on the carpet for incompetent or corrupt decisions. Their ineptitude is all kinds of bad for the sport, its athletes and fans. Nothing worse in competition than nebulous scoring. What's the point of watching two combatants spill their guts if the end result is essentially decided by a coin flip? Amongst other things, it cheapens the decisions that came before.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Interesting to see how some members scored the fight. From my point of view, there was never any doubt as to who won, no conceivable debate. Some fights are difficult to score, and we can argue till the cows come home over them. Close rounds are especially prone to subjectivity, so a close fight can be scored lop-sided, depending on one's prejudices. Lara-Williams isn't even close to being one of them, IMO. The commissioner of the NJSAC obviously agreed, to the point of calling the judges into his office and having them explain themselves...then subsequently suspending them.

The CJ Ross card in that fight is another good example of horrendous scoring in the face of an obvious decision. I'm glad that in recent times some boxing judges have been called on the carpet for incompetent or corrupt decisions. Their ineptitude is all kinds of bad for the sport, its athletes and fans. Nothing worse in competition than nebulous scoring. What's the point of watching two combatants spill their guts if the end result is essentially decided by a coin flip? Amongst other things, it cheapens the decisions that came before.
      And what's worse is I had money on Lara

There's absolutely no question who won. That's one of the biggest robberies in recent times

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        And what's worse is I had money on Lara

There's absolutely no question who won. That's one of the biggest robberies in recent times
        Haha I feel your pain. I had money on Abril over Rios (another of the biggest robberies).

In my opinion, no one with a rudimentary understanding of how fights are scored could've favored P Will over Lara. Hence the suspensions.

Comment

No need lol, am not watching that atrocious decision in modern day boxing history. If I have to nominate a fight which boxing can over turn it's decision over the last 25 years then this fight would be on to of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            So if I'm really trying to get the most out of this.. should compare the scorecards with my own scores

So the consensus rounds are:
            Lara - 1, 7, 9
            Williams - 3, 5, 6, 10
            Seems a little generous but not outrageous for Rd 3 to be a consensus Williams round. EDIT: BM donobagaV made me realize that one judge actually scored rd 3 even.

The remaining:
            Round 4 - Two for Williams, which I thought was a clean Williams round
            Round 8 - Two for Williams, seems off to me
            Round 11 - Two for Williams, seems off to me
            Round 12 - One for Lara & two even, can't complain too much about that.

So my real pain points with the judges are with rounds 8 and 11. And after rewatching those rounds another time I haven't changed my mind about them. Especially 11 which was a super clean Lara round.
            Exactly..looking at my scorecards and the judges i cant scream robbery as there were a lot of close swing rounds..

Comment

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
              Exactly..looking at my scorecards and the judges i cant scream robbery as there were a lot of close swing rounds..
              Idk, the only way I can see a Williams scorecard is if you gave him 2-6, 10, and 12. But then you're giving Williams the edge in literally every round he was competitive in whatsoever. That any real judge forked over rounds 8 and 11 to Williams is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by larry x.. View Post
                you have a similar card to 3 judges who were suspended for beign terrible judges. congrats?

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                  Idk, the only way I can see a Williams scorecard is if you gave him 2-6, 10, and 12. But then you're giving Williams the edge in literally every round he was competitive in whatsoever. That any real judge forked over rounds 8 and 11 to Williams is crazy.
                  Yea i gave 8 and 11 to Lara..but there were some real close rounds..Williams was doing good body work and working with his free hand in clinches

Comment

I thought lara won...pwill really couldn't avoid that left hand.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      you have a similar card to 3 judges who were suspended for beign terrible judges. congrats?
                      Can i see your scorecard? i actually rewatched the fight and scored round by round in a thread asking posters to do as such..and you as usual just come in, not participate and try to criticize those who do

Comment

Working...
                      X