No announcement yet.

Who's your pick for the NBA's MVP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STEVE URKEL View Post
    Who's your pick for the NBA's Most Valuable Player?
    kb24.....hands down.....

Comment

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
      Dwayne Wade.

Does the most with the least.

Kobe and Lebron were expected to be in their positions with their teams.

The Heat exceeded expectations because of one single player.

Dwayne Wade.

not disputing your facts, they're solid

however

if the NBA set a precedent by not giving Kobe the MVP when he took a rag-tag laker squad consisting of smush, cook, kwame, and walton to the playoffs in a LOADED western conference, then you cant award it to Wade for doing the same thing

this award goes to Bron this year

Comment

For those who aren't aware,

Kareem once won the award,

on a team with a losing record, that didn't make the playoffs.

They finished 40-42, 4th place in the Pacific Division during the 75-76 season.

Its an individual award, not a team record award.

But that was back when players had a vote in the award.

I just place more importance on the guy who has achieved more with less.

Take Kobe and Lebron off their respective teams, and those teams still make the playoffs.

Take Wade off of his, well, we seen what happens when hes not there. Just like the Lakers without Kobe in 04-05. Losing teams that don't make the playoffs.

Comment

For those who aren't aware,

Kareem once won the award,

on a team with a losing record, that didn't make the playoffs.

They finished 40-42, 4th place in the Pacific Division during the 75-76 season.

Its an individual award, not a team record award.

But that was back when players had a vote in the award.

I just place more importance on the guy who has achieved more with less.

Take Kobe and Lebron off their respective teams, and those teams still make the playoffs.

Take Wade off of his, well, we seen what happens when hes not there. Just like the Lakers without Kobe in 04-05. Losing teams that don't make the playoffs.

Yes but that is no longer the practice and I can guarantee it will not happen again.

By that logic, Shaq should have won MVP every year he was in the league up until a few years ago because he was the most dominant player I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
            Yes but that is no longer the practice and I can guarantee it will not happen again.

By that logic, Shaq should have won MVP every year he was in the league up until a few years ago because he was the most dominant player I have ever seen.

By that token, the award should be renamed, "The best player on a team with a great record award", because really,

thats what its based on these days, the team record. It doesn't take into account any other factors other than record.

Its not based on anything else but.

lol Shaq most dominant, I have to disagree as he has never once won a rebounding title, much less even DPOY. I think hes one of the biggest and most agile players ever, but most dominant, not quite.

Most arrogant perhaps.

Lets sift through it real quick,

Dirk has an MVP because his team had a great record.
            Steve Nash has 2 because his team had over 50 wins, two years in a row.

Even last year was a sham. It should have been Chris Paul.

Comment

By that token, the award should be renamed, "The best player on a team with a great record award", because really,

that's what its based on these days, the team record. It doesn't take into account any other factors other than record.

Its not based on anything else but.

lol Shaq most dominant, I have to disagree as he has never once won a rebounding title, much less even DPOY. I think hes one of the biggest and most agile players ever, but most dominant, not quite.

Most arrogant perhaps.

Lets sift through it real quick,

Dirk has an MVP because his team had a great record.
              Steve Nash has 2 because his team had over 50 wins, two years in a row.

Even last year was a sham. It should have been Chris Paul.

Few points here, first off...

Shaq WAS the most dominant player of our time. He had no perimeter game, shot 40% from the FT line and still avged close to 30 pts per game. Granted he didn't win the rebounding title but that's because he was scoring as much as he was.

He won 4 titles, 3 with LA and 1 with Miami because his PRESENCE was enough to force teams to double and triple team him. That's dominance any way you look at it. No other player of our era, including Jordan demanded the attention and shot at such a high % like Shaq did.

To the second point....

I used to think just like you did about the meaning of MVP and I changed my mind for this basic reason. When you describe the prerequisites the way you do, it becomes very confusing in determining who will receive the MVP. Because stats don't tell the whole story and the actual "value" of a player to his team is very hard to determine when NOT taking their record into account.

For example, people say "if you were to take Kobe away from the Lakers or take Wade away from the Heat, who would be worse off?"

That's not a logical argument because Wade is going to have better numbers because he's option #1, #2 and #3 on the Heat. Where as, Kobe now has a better team around him and doesn't need to score as much as he normaly would but that doesn't mean that Kobe isn't as valuable to the Lakers as Wade is to the Heat.......get what I'm saying?

So they have to go on something and record of the respective team is always the tie breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
                not disputing your facts, they're solid

however

if the NBA set a precedent by not giving Kobe the MVP when he took a rag-tag laker squad consisting of smush, cook, kwame, and walton to the playoffs in a LOADED western conference, then you cant award it to Wade for doing the same thing

this award goes to Bron this year

I agree but my Lakerness does not all me to type that....

Comment

Originally posted by RicDaRula View Post
                  I agree but my Lakerness does not all me to type that....

i can...under the caveat that kobe uses it as a motivational tool to light up bron and the cavs in the finals...much like hakeem did to D-Rob

Comment

Larry Bird.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                      Few points here, first off...

Shaq WAS the most dominant player of our time. He had no perimeter game, shot 40% from the FT line and still avged close to 30 pts per game. Granted he didn't win the rebounding title but that's because he was scoring as much as he was.

He won 4 titles, 3 with LA and 1 with Miami because his PRESENCE was enough to force teams to double and triple team him. That's dominance any way you look at it. No other player of our era, including Jordan demanded the attention and shot at such a high % like Shaq did.

To the second point....

I used to think just like you did about the meaning of MVP and I changed my mind for this basic reason. When you describe the prerequisites the way you do, it becomes very confusing in determining who will receive the MVP. Because stats don't tell the whole story and the actual "value" of a player to his team is very hard to determine when NOT taking their record into account.

For example, people say "if you were to take Kobe away from the Lakers or take Wade away from the Heat, who would be worse off?"

That's not a logical argument because Wade is going to have better numbers because he's option #1, #2 and #3 on the Heat. Where as, Kobe now has a better team around him and doesn't need to score as much as he normaly would but that doesn't mean that Kobe isn't as valuable to the Lakers as Wade is to the Heat.......get what I'm saying?

So they have to go on something and record of the respective team is always the tie breaker.
                      I'll save the Shaq talk for another topic as this one relates to MVP.

I get what you're saying, however, I just don't feel a teams record is solely a justifiable means of determining an individuals value to a team. Its a part of it, but not the whole which is what most voters base their choice on.

"well, his team won't get to 50 wins so we can't really include him".

Imo, that just sounds ridiculous when judging an individual award that is based on opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X