Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bivol is better boxer but he is too small he should move to 168

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
      Obviously not right now. But if they build up their resumes and clean the rest of the division as a result, and add Alvarez, Beterbiev, Badou Jack or Kovalev wins then it has a case to be a superfight. Every fight where the king of the division is determined is special. Canelo/Golovkin, Usyk/Gassiev, Ward/Kovalev. Potential Loma/Mikey and Bud/Spence matchups. I can see Bivol/Gvozdyk being in the same category eventually
      Those are not super fights dude. Floyd/manny is a super fight. Loma/Mikey and Spence/Bud will be major events, but you don't get superfights unless both men are transcendent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Those are not super fights dude. Floyd/manny is a super fight. Loma/Mikey and Spence/Bud will be major events, but you don't get superfights unless both men are transcendent.
        You talk about super fights in terms of profit, I talk about super fights in terms of sport and competitiveness. Damn McGregor/Floyd was super fight too then. Not for me

When you have two guys who got the same claim for the top spot at their weight class and they fight each other to find out who's the king of the division, that's big. Usyk/Gassiev was that fight, Canelo/Golovkin, Ward/Kovalev were these fights. Wilder/Joshua was supposed to be that fight before Tyson got back. Garcia/Loma and Spence/Bud are that kind of matchups too
        Last edited by g27region; 12-10-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

You talk about super fights in terms of profit, I talk about super fights in terms of sport and competitiveness. Damn McGregor/Floyd was super fight too then. Not for me

When you have two guys who got the same claim for the top spot at their weight class and they fight each other to find out who's the king of the division, that's big. Usyk/Gassiev was that fight, Canelo/Golovkin, Ward/Kovalev were these fights. Wilder/Joshua was supposed to be that fight before Tyson got back. Garcia/Loma and Spence/Bud are that kind of matchups too
          No I talk about superfights in terms of the notoriety and level of the men in the fight. None of those fights equals Ali/Frazier, Floyd/Manny, or Lenoard/Hagler.

Even if they collectively clean out the division it will be a unification fight that may or may not headline a major card.

A super fight transcends the sport. That fight wouldn't. None of the fights you list would either. The closest is Wilder/AJ and right now that isn't on the level of those fights.
          Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-10-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

No I talk about superfights in terms of the notoriety and level of the men in the fight. None of those fights equals Ali/Frazier, Floyd/Manny, or Lenoard/Hagler.

Even if they collectively clean out the division it will be a unification fight that may or may not headline a major card.

A super fight transcends the sport. That fight wouldn't. None of the fights you list would either. The closest is Wilder/AJ and right now that isn't on the level of those fights.
            Your set of standards too high. Spence/Bud is a superfight, Mikey/Loma is a superfight and Gvozdyk/Bivol can be up there.

I don't mean fights that make those who don't watch boxing talk. I mean fights that's big for boxing fans, not casuals. If you think of Floyd/Manny type of fights appealing to casual crowd then it's not what I meant, these types of fights you can count on one hand. Sometimes these fights that transcends the sport and all that ain't even interesting in terms of competition
            Last edited by g27region; 12-10-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I’m not sure but I just think it’s pretty cool a few years ago we were all talking about Alvarez, beterbiev, Gvozdyk and Bivol and now they’re all world champions.

Comment

Your set of standards too high. Spence/Bud is a superfight, Mikey/Loma is a superfight and Gvozdyk/Bivol can be up there.

I don't mean fights that make those who don't watch boxing talk. I mean fights that's big for boxing fans, not casuals. If you think of Floyd/Manny type of fights appealing to casual crowd then it's not what I meant, these types of fights you can count on one hand. Sometimes these fights that transcends the sport and all that ain't even interesting in terms of competition
                I just disagree. It is insane to suggest any of these fights will capture the public's attention like the true super fights I mentioned. Put it this way-Canelo/GGG wasn't a superfight and was bigger than all of these.

A superfight is big for casual fans, not just boxing fans. These fights are all huge for us as fans but will not generate the type of buzz outside the sport that the fights I listed did.

Yes, you can count superfights on one hand. It is hard to have supefights nowadays that the sport is more of a niche sport.

I will say this-depending how things play out, maybe Wilder/AJ becomes that kind of fight but I don't see it as I'm typing this.

Comment

I just disagree. It is insane to suggest any of these fights will capture the public's attention like the true super fights I mentioned. Put it this way-Canelo/GGG wasn't a superfight and was bigger than all of these.

A superfight is big for casual fans, not just boxing fans. These fights are all huge for us as fans but will not generate the type of buzz outside the sport that the fights I listed did.

Yes, you can count superfights on one hand. It is hard to have supefights nowadays that the sport is more of a niche sport.

I will say this-depending how things play out, maybe Wilder/AJ becomes that kind of fight but I don't see it as I'm typing this.
                  Disagree with what? Like where did I even say or suggest these fights will generate the same public attention as Ali and Frazier lol

We had different definitions on what superfight is. I was thinking about Bud/Spence type of thing, a joy to watch for boxing fans, you were thinking of global events than bigger than sport. I talk about oranges, you talk about apples. We talk about different things so there's no point in arguing further

The question is, do you believe that Gvozdyk/Bivol can eventually be as intriguing and exciting for boxing fans as Spence/Bud, Loma/Mikey and Joshua/Wilder? If your answer is yes, then you agree with the thread
                  Last edited by g27region; 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

It’s a great fight. I doubt it will gain enough traction and interest amongst the larger audience to become a super fight though.

A WBSS involving the 4 LH champions would be epic

Comment

Disagree with what? Like where did I even say or suggest these fights will generate the same public attention as Ali and Frazier lol

We had different definitions on what superfight is. I was thinking about Bud/Spence type of thing, a joy to watch for boxing fans, you were thinking of global events than bigger than sport. I talk about oranges, you talk about apples. We talk about different things so there's no point in arguing further

The question is, do you believe that Gvozdyk/Bivol can eventually be as intriguing and exciting for boxing fans as Spence/Bud, Loma/Mikey and Joshua/Wilder? If your answer is yes, then you agree with the thread
                      I don't know how we can have different definitions of what a super fight is if we are both boxing fans with an account on this site. I think its clear what a superfight is.

I just think you have an outsized view of how big this fight is. No, I don't think it will be as exciting for boxing fans because niether one of them is a top p4p fighter like Spence, Bud, Mikey and Loma are nor would they be fighting for the undisputed HWT championship of the world, like Wilder/AJ.

This is a solid fight that may or may not headline a card. As far as fights in the LHW division, it will not be as big as Ward/Kov because those men were considered top p4p guys as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X