Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Ward forced to move up or did he outgrow SMW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ea22 View Post
    He weights one pound less than Kovalev on fight night and he hasn't made 168 in a while, I think an objective person would say he outgrew 168.
    You have a poor understanding of the word "objective". He's not failed to make 168. He's had 2 tune-ups in the lat 3 years. He made 167.8 in one of them and the other was set at a catchweight. Your theory is unfounded and full of shyte.

Comment

Originally posted by Æthelstan View Post
      Outgrew 168 couldn't make weight anymore..

He was too big for the weight anyway, he fought at 178 in the amateurs
      He fought at 178 so Dirrell could fight at middleweight man...he turned pro at 160

Comment

He outgrew the division, it doesn't look like he's gained much bulk, and he's still lean at 185.

Comment

In my opinion I think he hinted that he was forced to move up due to the GGG connection, personally am glad he moved up, he should have done so after the super six. I think HBO just wanted to avoid the heat with the whole GGG thing really, but at the same time we are getting a potential better fight if him and Kov comes off .

Comment

Ward has been fighting at that weight for too long. So when he says in order for him to be great he had to move up already since prime ages make a difference before it's too late. Especially when everybody writes about him fighting Kovalev.

Comment

I wanted GGG first, and then Kovalev! Stevenson would be an interesting match up!

Comment

He definitely outgrew the division, he even admitted so in the fighthype on youtube interview titled: "ANDRE WARD NOT WORRIED ABOUT WEIGHT AT 175; EXCITED ABOUT CHALLENGE OF FIGHTING BIGGER GUYS "

Go to the 1:42 mark

"I'm not worried about the weight. My opponents outweighed me by about 8-10 lbs on fight night, Edwin Rodriguez was 192,193 Paul Smith was about 192"

So Ward was probably entering the ring likely around 182 on fight night.

There are some ******s who assumed that he was walking around like 172, and that was his fight night weight and that he was the same size as Golovkin lol. Not the case, he's clearly big enough for 175 lb weight class.

Enough with this notion that he was forced to move up. He had to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                  I wanted GGG first, and then Kovalev! Stevenson would be an interesting match up!
                  I think I'm one of few who thinks Ward GGG will happen.

Ward beats Kovalev, GGG beats Canelo and we have on our hands a genuine mega fight between 2 P4P fighters in their prime.

Can't think when was the last time something like this occurred maybe Rigo - Donaire or Gonzalez - Estrada. But those weren't big fights

Comment

Inactivity and age made 168 too difficult. He could probably do it, but leave a part of himself at the scales. It is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
                      I think I'm one of few who thinks Ward GGG will happen.

Ward beats Kovalev, GGG beats Canelo and we have on our hands a genuine mega fight between 2 P4P fighters in their prime.

Can't think when was the last time something like this occurred maybe Rigo - Donaire or Gonzalez - Estrada. But those weren't big fights
                      Excellent analysis! Would love to see that happen!

Comment

Working...
                      X