Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pryor's Arguello (I) beats prime Kostya: Agree or Disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take Lexi all day long over Tszyu, never was impressed by him! He never fought anyone of merit who wasn't at the end of their careers. Being KO'd by Hatton isn't exactly a huge credit to his chin. Lexi wasn't at his best at 140 but I believe if he went to that weight sooner it would have helped immensely!

respen46: obviously you don't care for Mr. Prior or think he accomplished very much, thats your right!
    I remember Aaron in the amatuers being a terror that no one wanted to fight because of his style (unpredictable) and determination! He brought both to the pros and did very well for an undiciplined fighter! He fought for the title and he beat a living legend! I know the circumstances and I'll bet anything I'm the only person on this board who knows P. Lewis!! That said Prior is not an ATG fighter but he was a comer and if you let your guard down he'd get you! He came in brightly and seemed to disappear quickly! Not sure how good he was for the sport or how bad but I know people loved to see him box and everyone hated boxing him!! Ray

Comment

Arguello...
      It would only be a matter of time till Tszyu gets hit by a savage right hand...

Even at 140 and on the slide Arguello still punched and he had a hell of a lot of experience...
      Last edited by lightsout_finit; 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I'd pick Tszyu without giving it a second thought. If it were at a lighter weight it would be a different story.
        Last edited by Scott9945; 06-21-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

tend to think Tzu would b too strong for arguello at 140 tho I do see the point in Tzu getting caught coming in with a bomb. as for pryor, I don't wanna b the kinda poster who seems like he wants to argue but whoever said pryor didn't wanna fight lightweight don't know wtf he talkin about. pryor woulda fought anyone. its the 135lb who didn't wanna giv him a shot. in his prime pryor got dropped by whoever n then got up to deal out a beating. so y some don't like him? or do they really just don't know what it was back in the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            I'll take Lexi all day long over Tszyu, never was impressed by him! He never fought anyone of merit who wasn't at the end of their careers. Being KO'd by Hatton isn't exactly a huge credit to his chin. Lexi wasn't at his best at 140 but I believe if he went to that weight sooner it would have helped immensely!
            At least watch the fight before commenting on it Ray.

Comment

Sorry but the home cooking almost all the Brit fighters had offered to them didn't help them when they stepped up! If you "protect" these guys after they fought the trial horses and have 20 bouts its time to get "off the Isle" and go fight! Take a strong look at Calzaghe and Hatton and Tszyu and they don't stack up to the best fighters in their weight classes! Lexi has twice the fights and far better competition and skill wise and technique wise is a superior boxer to Tszyu its pretty easy to see its in black & white and the videos in color!
              Your welcomed to your opinion but the greats have 70+ fights not 35 or 40 and they aren't under the protection unbrella their entire careers! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Sorry but the home cooking almost all the Brit fighters had offered to them didn't help them when they stepped up! If you "protect" these guys after they fought the trial horses and have 20 bouts its time to get "off the Isle" and go fight! Take a strong look at Calzaghe and Hatton and Tszyu and they don't stack up to the best fighters in their weight classes! Lexi has twice the fights and far better competition and skill wise and technique wise is a superior boxer to Tszyu its pretty easy to see its in black & white and the videos in color!
                Your welcomed to your opinion but the greats have 70+ fights not 35 or 40 and they aren't under the protection unbrella their entire careers! Ray.
                You make a valid point Ray.

Comment

points taken corso n given your time n connection to the game I wouldn't cross u but the original thread was the older version of arguello at 140 v Tzu. I remember how dominant arguello was at 130 n how powerful n whatever the word composed n workmanlike he was at 135, just like a seasoned assassin. but at 140, really didn't do so much n I speculate that he wasn't near as good at 140 as he was in his lighter divisions. now check this out n u of all ray might have an opinion on this, did u find it peculiar that we never did see hatton with his gloves off after the zoo fight? I mean a good half hour later he still had them on, mayhave even walked bak to the dressing room with them on. generally people think theres the opponents rep n maybe commission watching the tapin n glovin of the fighters but we know that's not always the case n I say perhaps even moreso in a fighters hometown. u feel me? ''we done already taped the gloves. come on man he cool. u think we try that? just squeeze his hands n see but not to hard cuz u might mess his hand up''

Comment

I loved watching Pryor fight, as I said, I saw most of his pro fights in person, & most of his amateur boughts, but again, once you've seen someone yourself so often in person, you get a pretty good idea of what they can & can't do, whether you like them or not, & everyone in Cinci, including myself, loved having a Champ from our city, but no matter how much you enjoy, love or respect a fighter, I still know enough about boxing, to give a very good educated choice on who that fighter can & can't beat, & Arguello still carried enough power to have put him down, but didnt because he was on something, so Tszyu having much more power than Arguello at that weight, I think surely would have taken Pryor out, & Kostya was also an excellent boxer, he just never had to use it much at all in the Pros, don't forget, Pryor avoided every single power guy he could his whole career, why because his camp knew what all of us in Cinci knew, he could but put down & out by a top flight guy with top power, which he never fought his whole career, Arguello had good power at JWW but was on his 4th move up in weight, so not considered to have great power there, Pryor fought no one else, he even avoided Mamby, who had no power but was the #1 contender & good box and was a natural JWW, that's why Pryror ran for the hills an the JWW division instead of taking on a stacked & more lucrative LW division, why didnt he stay at LW and fight big paydays against Mancini, Watt, Bramble, Kenty, O'Grady, Ganigan, Arguello at LW, even Blake & Arroyo would have been good fights, G. Gonzalez had the power to Ko Pryor, Elizondo, a war with Frias, Howard Davis Jr., & I think there are some I'm missing, why go to an empty JWW division, with no names to fight, because his people were afraid he would lose, they wanted to drain him before the drugs did.too many others are the ones with hard ons for Pryor, he couldnt beat Duran if they fought, nor Tszyu, Loi, Cervantes in his Prime, Chavez, Canzoneri, Hearns & Leonard surely beats him, & if he moves up to WW, he loses to Palomino, cuevas & any all time great, like Napoles and others, so people get off pryor, keep him top 5 maybe but that's it, at JWW, he beat no one.

Comment

I go with Tszyu because he had too much finesse.

Comment

Working...
                      X