Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say all heavyweight greats were in the same era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'll save it. But I'd like to see it on a 40 inch TV if possible. Is it on ESPN Classic's playlist?

And I can see now that one big difference we have is that I saw that fight live with considerably higher expectations.
    Totally get that. After I, the greatest Heavy fight ever IMO, it's hard to decline. I saw it in a vacum of having seen I and III lots. It's never on ESPN Classic. It's one of Arum's library. Got dusted off for the Versus Classic series a while back; used to be an ESPN Superbouts staple (as was Pryor-Arguello I).

Damn.

That needs to be licensed again.

Comment

• Obviosly the belt would change hands pretty regularly if all the greats where in the division at the same time, every top 20 fighter is a hall of famer. But the guy I think could hold it for the longest periods of time is Holyfield, because he could box the bigger less skilled guys like a liston or a Foreman and still had the heart to out fight the Frasiers and the Marcianos and the Louis's. The only guy that would give him real trouble is Ali due to the fact he probley coudn't catch ali but Ali would struggle with the real big Heavyweights like a lewis or even A klithcho.

Comment

• Well if its a dream I'll dream of a night in the "Garden" with the 8 round opener of; "A Night at the Fights"

Lennox Lewis vs Max Baer

Jack Dempsey vs Rocky Marciano 10rds

Jersey Joe Walcott vs Jack Johnson 10rds.

Ali vs Joe Louis 15rds. main event! all fighters wear red 8oz gloves and the oldest of the two has the choice of blk or wht. trunks.

semi wind up;

Tyson vs Firpo 4 rds. gloves optional!
        matchmaker- Ray Corso

Comment

• Very intriguing thread!

I'd say Ali is the best of all of them so would be great in any era, probably even greater in an era where all the greats fought at the same time. Ali was at his best against the best opposition, he just wasn't motivated enough against bums.

Ali's toughest opponent would be Lewis, due to Lewis' exceptional jab and ability to time opponents and counter them with a thunderous right hand. A knockdown might be on the cards and Ali might even lose one in three but he would eventually overcome, adapt and a prime version would be just too quick for Lewis to catch.

I don't see Holyfield, Louis or Walcott beating ALi but they would have great fights with each other and Tyson. How would Louis' chin hold up against PRIME Iron Mike and how would a prime Tyson handle the relentless pressure of Rocky Marciano?

Comment

• Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
            If Johnson was as smart and savvy as they say he was then him. If we're going through a tournament then Demosey or Marciano because of Dempsey's guts and determination and Marciano's work ethic. Ali would be another favorite.
            Last edited by La_Vibora; 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Btw, I would probably have to go with either Ali or Johnson on this one, maybe Larry Holmes because I think those guys have a style as well as physical qualities that I could see being competitive against any style. I think it would come down to matchups though, I mean if Tyson, Marciano, or Frazier were able to avoid Foreman and Liston then anyone of those guys could potentially win it. If George Foreman could avoid Ali or Holmes then he might also have a shot. So who really knows. I just wish I could have seen it.

Comment

• Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post

Comment

• Tyson v Dempsey ... come on you know you want to see it

Comment

• Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                    Tyson v Dempsey ... come on you know you want to see it
                    With the winner to fight Rocky. Then the winner of that to fight Holy. Then the winner of that to fight Foreman. Then the winner of that to fight Holmes. Then the winner of that to fight Lewis. Then the winner of that to fight Johnson. Then the winner of that to fight Louis. Then the winner of that to fight Ali...

Please, let the gods sanction these bouts in the afterlife.. Or Kratos will kick their ass!!!!!!!

Comment

• I get good vibes from Holyfield for some reason.... I don't think he'd win it, but he'd be a good underdog.

Joe Louis is possibly the most skilled fighter there, but he's quite small. Wikipedia says he's 6'2 but I thought he was about 5'11.

You wouldn't bet against Ali, although there's definitely a handful of fighters who could beat him on their day.

Comment

Working...
                      X