Collapse
No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've stated before, my biggest concern with this Fight Night is conditioning. I have to be careful HOW I condition so I don't provoke my calf and have to back off, or even cancel. With that in mind I have to discover how to best approach things.

It is still unknown if the sudden push off, or the landing, is what provokes things. I try to very conscious on how I land so I minimize the force but maybe that's not enough? When I do box step-ups, is it the step-down that is the issue? Maybe, so I'm eliminating box steps. I may walk stairs which may seem like a contradiction but with the smaller size of the stairs and how I can land more mid-sole instead of ball of foot there is a difference in impact.

I'm going to do a steady program of wall balls. This won't condition the calves for volume but it IS good cardio and will help with the leg and lung capacity.

The rower will be used. Both steady state and intervals.

I'm also currently doing a resistance program. Nothing major as I don't feel it helps my main problem but it's activity when my body (calf/leg) needs to recover.

And on and on. I'll report here on things I'm doing. Feel free to read and chime in if you feel the urge.

Comment

Today I did a workout designed to tryout a few things to see what would provoke my calf/leg. The first part was resistance and I know that's ok but after that I did wall balls (4x10) and medicine ball shot put tosses. Both at cruising effort just to see how it goes. After that, I did more work with small hand weights to condition the shoulders. 9x1minute to the front, then burnouts to the front and side.
      Last edited by WonderMonkey; 08-28-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Oh wall balls thou doeth suck
        Squatting deep to parallel.
        Tossing that ball 10 feet up
        Up and down to hella hell.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
          Oh wall balls thou doeth suck
          Squatting deep to parallel.
          Tossing that ball 10 feet up
          Up and down to hella hell.
          I remember throwing one of those balls up, having it land on my head and knocked me silly.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I remember throwing one of those balls up, having it land on my head and knocked me silly.
            Another reason they suck. Next time I do them I will curse them in your name.

Comment

I sparred for the boxing coach to evaluate me recently but that wasn't full on sparring. When I was going to do the Fight Night last time we did full on sparring. My first time was chaotic. I was very excited to be in there and my adrenaline got the best of me and I was wide-eyed and all over. Not sure if I breathed the whole time. Technique? Gone. Plan? Whatever.
              You gotta get in a lot of LIGHT sparring and if they don't do that at your gym, you're probably in the wrong place. Nothing, I mean nothing is going to get you ready for the fight like getting in some sparing time to find out what you're doing wrong, get your nerves steady, get used to what is going to happen on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                You gotta get in a lot of LIGHT sparring and if they don't do that at your gym, you're probably in the wrong place. Nothing, I mean nothing is going to get you ready for the fight like getting in some sparing time to find out what you're doing wrong, get your nerves steady, get used to what is going to happen on fight night.
                Agreed, and we do what you are saying. The evaluation was just that, to see where I was at that moment, movement, etc.

We have evenings just dedicated to slow movement, and others to light sparring. Additionally, that is changed depending on who is in the ring at the time.

Comment

Initial feedback from my calf/leg from my workouts yesterday is positive. Things feel "good". Did a standard fitness boxing class this morning though I slowed down and worked on technique instead of wailing away. Tonight is a session with the actual boxing coach. If my body holds up I'll do another of my individual workousts and either do the exact same thing I did, or maybe add one additional set for each movement.

Comment

Got in a great workout tonight and just when I thought I was "done" in comes a guy who is a sub for the Harlem Globetrotters as well as the Washington Generals, though usually a General plays up and they backfill the General. The boxing coach knows him and when he's in town comes in to get in a workout. The coach asked me to stay behind and work the bag and mitts with him so I did. As it turns out, I WASN'T done, and pushed harder than I had in a long time. It was great and terrible all at the same time. While the guy's boxing wasn't that good, he had very good (though not technically correct) footwork.

Comment

Got in a great workout tonight and just when I thought I was "done" in comes a guy who is a sub for the Harlem Globetrotters as well as the Washington Generals, though usually a General plays up and they backfill the General. The boxing coach knows him and when he's in town comes in to get in a workout. The coach asked me to stay behind and work the bag and mitts with him so I did. As it turns out, I WASN'T done, and pushed harder than I had in a long time. It was great and terrible all at the same time. While the guy's boxing wasn't that good, he had very good (though not technically correct) footwork.
                      Guy must have been 6'5?

Comment

Working...
                      X