No announcement yet.

Congratulations to Usyk on a Great Win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Usyk on a Great Win

Usyk did one hell of a job last night, knocking out a very game Tony Bellew in eight rounds. He not only made the first defense of his undisputed cruiserweight crown. He also beat yet another opponent in his own backyard after Gassiev in Russia, Breidis in Latvia, Huck in Germany and Glowacki in Poland. He beat three current/former champions in three fights this year in all their hometowns. I don't ever recall any fighter doing this. So, I say congratulations.

And I'd like to give a massive shake of my head to these guys who do nothing but take away from an excellent win by boxing's current best:

Cutthroat
    Robbie Barrett
    Julia Slobberts
    Deontay Wilder (the poster ha)
    earl-hickey
    lparm

Don't worry, Brothers of the Usyk. These Sisters of the Bellew are clearly just jealous wimps.

As much as I like Usyk, it was an ok win at best. Bellew's best win is an often retired Haye who entered the fight with a pre-existing injury. I look forward to see what Usyk can do in the future and in my opinion he is one of the best out right now, but I can't gas this win as if he just whooped a world beater

Comment

cringe .....

Comment

it was just an ok win in comparison to his other achievements, but still another solid name on the record in only 16 fights.

People rank Crawford at the top of the p4p list but after 34 fights he probably still hasn't beaten anybody better than Bellew.

Comment

I agree completely with everything you said. The better these Eastern European champions are the more some hate them. That great win over Bellew combined with his other success has earned Usyk the kind of hate that used to be reserved for GGG only. Now they are praying some heavyweight can beat this wonderful fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            I agree completely with everything you said. The better these Eastern European champions are the more some hate them. That great win over Bellew combined with his other success has earned Usyk the kind of hate that used to be reserved for GGG only. Now they are praying some heavyweight can beat this wonderful fighter.
            Man, I'll tell you. It was like a horse show in here with all the long faces. WTF? Honestly. I don't think I've ever seen such a negative reaction to a great fighter picking up a win. If Gvodzdyk beats Stevenson, someone's going to commit suicide on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
              As much as I like Usyk, it was an ok win at best. Bellew's best win is an often retired Haye who entered the fight with a pre-existing injury. I look forward to see what Usyk can do in the future and in my opinion he is one of the best out right now, but I can't gas this win as if he just whooped a world beater
              I think it's Bellew who should be getting praised for really stepping up what people thought he was capable of. Usyk just did what he was supposed to do and Bellew surprisingly made it take longer than expected. I honestly didn't think Bellew had a performance like the first 5 rounds in him, I figured he was gonna make it a dog fight. Really exceeded my expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                I wouldn't classify it as a great win, I would say a good win. He clearly showed his class and demonstrated IMO that no one at 200lbs is going to defeat him right now.

With all that said I want to see what he can do at HW. It is a tough challenge but if someone isn't curious to see him try it out then they aren't really a fan of boxing.

The funny thing is you will see other opponents get more praise for fighting lesser opponents and either doing it in less dominant fashion or equally the same.

Comment

Originally posted by evets View Post
                  I think it's Bellew who should be getting praised for really stepping up what people thought he was capable of. Usyk just did what he was supposed to do and Bellew surprisingly made it take longer than expected. I honestly didn't think Bellew had a performance like the first 5 rounds in him, I figured he was gonna make it a dog fight. Really exceeded my expectations.
                  It actually took less time if you went by the Vegas book. The over-under was 9 rounds.

Usyk threw a total of 50 pounds over the first two rounds and I would say less than 10 of those were actual punches. Once he really started to fight in round three (he threw 60 punches or 10 more total punches than the first two rounds combined) things started getting progressively worse for Bellew. That isn't to diminish his heart but I think he is also getting overblown for his performance. It was solid but once Usyk said it was time to go he started taking control. Outside the first two rounds he won by almost default there were only two other competitive rounds, the third and I think the 5 or 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
                    It actually took less time if you went by the Vegas book. The over-under was 9 rounds.

Usyk threw a total of 50 pounds over the first two rounds and I would say less than 10 of those were actual punches. Once he really started to fight in round three (he threw 60 punches or 10 more total punches than the first two rounds combined) things started getting progressively worse for Bellew. That isn't to diminish his heart but I think he is also getting overblown for his performance. It was solid but once Usyk said it was time to go he started taking control. Outside the first two rounds he won by almost default there were only two other competitive rounds, the third and I think the 5 or 6th.
                    I get what you are saying but I mean honestly - I think even being competitive in 2 rounds was exceeding many many peoples expectations (kinda depressing to type that out for A PPV undisputed title bout :/ ). Despite what some say this was really a no chance shot in the dark for anyone I spoke too and it was only Bellews immense confidence in fight week started to skew that. 3 weeks ago people I speak to about boxing locally were expecting a honest to god schooling, whitewash until corner stopped it but this week people were all of a sudden expecting an upset. I didn't think he would take a single round, not even the usually slow first rounds that people can steal.

Comment

Working...
                    X