Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before I should start sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before I should start sparring?

I just started boxing around a month ago, and I already had 8 boxing sessions, these are one-on-one training sessions with my trainer at the gym. When can I start sparring? Maybe light sparring with my trainer or some random novice at the gym as well?

Personal Experience: Been training one-on-one for the last two months and we haven't gotten around to it yet. Our pad training is becoming more dynamic though and he'll have me dodging punches, training my footwork, learning how to shield/take punches whilst I hit the pads and practice different series. So we're getting gradually closer to actual sparring. 18 practices in, he's told me perhaps next week we'll start doing light sparring. So that's my personal experience. Would be good to hear what more experienced boxers have to say.

Comment

I started sparring after my 3rd training session. The trainers didn't believe that I hadn't boxed before when I first came in (I had watched some youtube videos and had done a bit of calisthenics and running, but hadn't thrown any punches as I didn't want to develop bad habits before getting into the gym). I was pretty adamant about starting to spar as I'm a hands on learner. The guys didn't really take it as easy on me as they probably should've, but I wasn't very good at controlling my power. I def took some shots those first few sessions, but helped me progress much more quickly as well as figure out what I needed to work on (mainly breathing and footwork). I made a little list 1. Breathe 2. Relax 3. Focus, that I would keep with me and try to think of before I started each round.

The new guys that come into the gym now and start sparring have it much easier lol.

Comment

I started sparring after like six months when I started training, just to get my courage up.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          I started sparring after like six months when I started training, just to get my courage up.
          I have too much fire and confidence. I wanna start as early as possible to gain more experience and hands on knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
            I have too much fire and confidence. I wanna start as early as possible to gain more experience and hands on knowledge
            You need to demonstrate some fair knowledge of the basics, some people that takes a little longer than others, because you also don't want to further develop bad habits you may have.

As long as its controlled sparring with trainers/coaches/instructors or experienced sparring partners I don't see any issue with getting in there rather quickly.

At the gym I'm training out of currently they try to get ppl in there pretty quick. Get them acclimated even if its just like light touch sparring.

Comment

Can you block a jab? Can you slip left and right and straight drop slip? (bend your knees and get under a jab)
              Can you counter jab off those defensive moves?

Once those very basic techniques are understand and performed well then I would add contact to those specific drills.

I trained amateur and pros for many years on every level there is.
              A smart and concerned trainer teaches first then applies lessons learned. If not you get your name changed to meat!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
                I just started boxing around a month ago, and I already had 8 boxing sessions, these are one-on-one training sessions with my trainer at the gym. When can I start sparring? Maybe light sparring with my trainer or some random novice at the gym as well?
                Have you talked to your trainer about letting your spar soon.

I've seen kids beg for it. They got to spar in the 2nd or 3rd session at the gym.

2-3 months of beginner training was the average at the gyms I went to.

Maybe ask to spar with nothing but jabbing.

Comment

My point is that you EARN the right to spar!
                  You show your trainer that his lessons are learned from your hard work. You pay attention to spar sessions and you digest everything that's going on in the gym.

You earn ring time!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Can you block a jab? Can you slip left and right and straight drop slip? (bend your knees and get under a jab)
                    Can you counter jab off those defensive moves?

Once those very basic techniques are understand and performed well then I would add contact to those specific drills.

I trained amateur and pros for many years on every level there is.
                    A smart and concerned trainer teaches first then applies lessons learned. If not you get your name changed to meat!

Ray
                    This feels like great advice. I've been learning how to block and slip punches for the last month but know I need to work on my conditioning before I jump the gun and start sparring. You need solid foundations and that takes time. So before I'm dodging punches effortlessly, have my footwork down and know how to counterpunch, I'll wait to get into sparring. Thanks again for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                    X