No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Boxing, Concussion and Depression - Time To Open Our Eyes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    Being a real man is calling brain damaged people pussies on the internet.
    Exactly, some f#ckning people man

Comment

Being a real man is calling brain damaged people pussies on the internet.
      Way to misconstrue what I said

Comment

Well penned article.Society in general tend to deem mental health issues as abhorrent topic, hence the silence. Mental health issue emanates from man's interaction with his environment and lesion of the brain.It can be biologically or societal caused.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimjoe View Post
          Well penned article.Society in general tend to deem mental health issues as abhorrent topic, hence the silence. Mental health issue emanates from man's interaction with his environment and lesion of the brain.It can be biologically or societal caused.
          Being mentally ill or having a degenerative brain condition is the result of our feminised modern society, according to the experts polled on this thread.

Comment

Just glossed over the story, but I always take issue with mfers misrepresenting the Ali vs Liston II fight.

The quote is supposedly what the author feels like what Liston mighta been thinking:
            “**** this ****" and hit the deck to see out the count"

If anyone has watched that whole fight sure Liston gets dropped by a questionable punch but HE GETS BACK UP and the fight continues for a few seconds before the ref is told that he was on the wrong count & the fighter was down longer than 10 seconds. Liston DID NOT QUIT or STAY DOWN from that questionable punch (& very questionable "acting" when trying to get back up I'd even add).

That pic of Ali standing over Liston is such a ironic picture I think mfers forget or don't even know what really happened after the knockdown.

Comment

Being mentally ill or having a degenerative brain condition is the result of our feminised modern society, according to the experts polled on this thread.
              It is self-evidently true that society is becoming more and more feminised. Ever hear of positive masculinity?? Life's b*tch and then you die. Being a good human means living your life as best you can, without being a ****ing pu$$y, facing up to the realities and dangers of life without fear or regret, whether you are a man or a woman or whatever the **** you are.

The article's about the link between boxing and depression. I don't see it. Depends how you fight. Depends how you deal with ****. Depends on a lot of things. I don't know what you've got a bee in your bonnet about but actually yeah, what you're saying, as some kind of apparently sardonic parody, might be true. So, I don't know why you're acting like you've got the answers.

Take the rising acceptance of mentally ill people over time, who have thus borne children in greater numbers... if there is a genetic link to mental illness, just this fact alone suggests a greater ACTUAL incidence rate of mental illness, by virtue of a greater acceptance of mental illness (no more forced sterilisations, etc). Or take the increasingly large volumes of DSM which have been published over the years: some people like to have a label, viz., the 'sick role'. This suggests a greater incidence rate of mental illness, whether actual or not. And there are loads of other arguments that could be made for why mental illness, in general, is rising

As I have said, I don't think humanity has changed very much throughout history (hence, my noting of ancient-PTSD) but what has changed in recent years is the tendency to want to make everything better and safe and comfortable, and to blame bad things on things we can't control. I think this is a good path to go down IF we want to live in a dull, sterile world, where no-one takes responsibility for themselves. I think a lot of people who say they have mental illness are just mentally weak and use it as a get-out.

Anyway, I hope scientists keep doing the research on the limits and dangers of boxing, including links to depression. Although I hate the early stoppages, boxing does seem to be getting safer (relatively), we just need to be careful not to over-egg the whole thing

Dr Rumack, the piece is designed to get us to think, so tell us your thoughts? So far, you've just acted morally superior, but without articulating anything of note

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
                It is self-evidently true that society is becoming more and more feminised. Ever hear of positive masculinity?? Life's b*tch and then you die. Being a good human means living your life as best you can, without being a ****ing pu$$y, facing up to the realities and dangers of life without fear or regret, whether you are a man or a woman or whatever the **** you are.

The article's about the link between boxing and depression. I don't see it. Depends how you fight. Depends how you deal with ****. Depends on a lot of things. I don't know what you've got a bee in your bonnet about but actually yeah, what you're saying, as some kind of apparently sardonic parody, might be true. So, I don't know why you're acting like you've got the answers.

Take the rising acceptance of mentally ill people over time, who have thus borne children in greater numbers... if there is a genetic link to mental illness, just this fact alone suggests a greater ACTUAL incidence rate of mental illness, by virtue of a greater acceptance of mental illness (no more forced sterilisations, etc). Or take the increasingly large volumes of DSM which have been published over the years: some people like to have a label, viz., the 'sick role'. This suggests a greater incidence rate of mental illness, whether actual or not. And there are loads of other arguments that could be made for why mental illness, in general, is rising

As I have said, I don't think humanity has changed very much throughout history (hence, my noting of ancient-PTSD) but what has changed in recent years is the tendency to want to make everything better and safe and comfortable, and to blame bad things on things we can't control. I think this is a good path to go down IF we want to live in a dull, sterile world, where no-one takes responsibility for themselves. I think a lot of people who say they have mental illness are just mentally weak and use it as a get-out.

Anyway, I hope scientists keep doing the research on the limits and dangers of boxing, including links to depression. Although I hate the early stoppages, boxing does seem to be getting safer (relatively), we just need to be careful not to over-egg the whole thing

Dr Rumack, the piece is designed to get us to think, so tell us your thoughts? So far, you've just acted morally superior, but without articulating anything of note
                This is terribly incoherent. You think that people with mental illness just need to accept responsibility (for their illness and mental weakness?) rather than complain and then the illness will go away? Or is it that you think there was no illness to begin with? Or is it just that a lot (the majority?) are faking it to get what, sympathy?

What is the supposed connection between a more feminised society and mental illness and 'playing the victim' supposed to be? That women are mentally weak and like to play the victim, and men are now encouraged to be just like them? If so that argument is predicated on some wonderfully misogynistic premises.

You don't have to think that mental illness has been rising in modern society to believe that mental illness is not only real but a major medical issue.

The original article is correct to point out the link between concussions and brain damage and the various kinds of extreme behaviours that many boxers have displayed over the years. Who would have thought that having your brain damaged could cause disfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUntouchable View Post
                  Being depressed or just generally ****ed up is cool right now. I get it.

And until you can come up with scientific facts I'll dismiss every single of those claims as being in line with our modern victim society.
                  There was a very recent study done recently that those with PTSD, often from serving in combat, have brain injuries comparable to those that have taken repeated blows to the head such as football players. It draws a direct correlation to CTE seen in football players and those surviving blasts and serving in hot combat zones with firefights, artillery blasts etc. Depression is one of the most common characteristics from both control groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                    This is terribly incoherent. You think that people with mental illness just need to accept responsibility (for their illness and mental weakness?) rather than complain and then the illness will go away? Or is it that you think there was no illness to begin with? Or is it just that a lot (the majority?) are faking it to get what, sympathy?

What is the supposed connection between a more feminised society and mental illness and 'playing the victim' supposed to be? That women are mentally weak and like to play the victim, and men are now encouraged to be just like them? If so that argument is predicated on some wonderfully misogynistic premises.

You don't have to think that mental illness has been rising in modern society to believe that mental illness is not only real but a major medical issue.

The original article is correct to point out the link between concussions and brain damage and the various kinds of extreme behaviours that many boxers have displayed over the years. Who would have thought that having your brain damaged could cause disfunction.
                    Another misconstrual, again backed up with nothing but a pointing finger

Comment

people who are willing to take money in exchange of getting hit shouldnt complain. get into competitive video gaming if you want another option.

Comment

Working...
                      X