No announcement yet.

Random Boxing Thoughts in my Head This Weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Boxing Thoughts in my Head This Weekend

The Loma/Linares fight played out like I had anticipated. Linares would be an easy way to dip your toe in to fighting larger/skilled guys...just without the power. I'm sorry, but if Mikey catches Loma with the same shot, it's a wrap. Still, it was a beautiful fight IMO.

I disagree when Lampley said "Had Ali fought Liam Smith instead, it would have been a totally different outcome." The common theme Saturday night was size is an underrated attribute. I don't see how Ali (whom I like) would have fared any better against Smith (whom I'm not a big fan of)...but I keep it real, nonetheless.

Hurd vs Brook? I guess talks between Khan have totally fallen through...or it's yet more posturing. Should Hurd end up getting a chance to put hands on Brook, he could do some time. #FreeHurd

Rey Vargas had his hands full Saturday night...but this was a good win for him. He showed he can handle intense pressure for 12 rounds. That was a war.

Haney looked good. Damn good. He's what, 19 fights in? He needs to continue step ups. I think he could contend at 30 for the next 8-12 months...but he looks like he is still growing so imagine he'll end up at 35/40 for most of his career...maybe even up to 47 years from now.

I still don't understand why AJ fans aren't demanding the Wilder v AJ fight next...just as US fans are. If you are a fan, regardless of which side of the pond, why would you not be vocal about making this fight ASAP? It seems a lot of their energy is spent on why AJ should NOT take this fight. That's just what I see, anyway. I mean two, undefeated knock out artists, fighting for ALL the belts...each countrymen extremely confident their fighter will win...why not get busy with it?
    Last edited by JohnP2; 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM.

Originally posted by JohnP2 View Post
    Hurd vs Brook? I guess talks between Khan have totally fallen through...or it's yet more posturing. Should Hurd end up getting a chance to put hands on Brook, he could do some time. #FreeHurd
    I'd be amazed if talks with Khan haven't or don't fall through so yea Khan vs Spence & Brook vs Hurd probably is more likely. Khan won't go quietly into the good night.

Haney looked good. Damn good. He's what, 19 fights in? He needs to continue step ups. I think he could contend at 30 for the next 8-12 months...but he looks like he is still growing so imagine he'll end up at 35/40 for most of his career...maybe even up to 47 years from now.
    I was really impressed with Haney too. He's had one of the most bs resumes for a prospect up til the other night. Lets not start throwing the guy parades just yet doe. Lets not forget Menard is a limited guy & he'd been out of the ring for a year & is just a bad style matchup for Haney. I'm excited to see what Haney can do vs better guys later this year doe & I don't hate his chances vs Easter, who he was beefing with awhile back, if that fight got made.

I still don't understand why AJ fans aren't demanding the Wilder v AJ fight next...just as US fans are. If you are a fan, regardless of which side of the pond, why would you not be vocal about making this fight ASAP? It seems a lot of their energy is spent on why AJ should NOT take this fight. That's just what I see, anyway.
    Thats weird I agree & I've brought this up along with many others before too, but I think what it is after thinking on it a lil bit is a lot of UK fans are kinda enjoying the boxing power they got right now with Joshua so I think thats a nice piece of the stance with talking Wilder down instead of talking the fight up & other sh^t like that. So they are engaging in conversations they'd rarely get a chance to engage in in the past with their solid, but usually not #1 HW's (outside of Lennox in recent times).

Comment

Linares landed that perfect right hand in a flash. Linares is very fast and accurate with his punches and has a good eye and reaction time for split second openings. Mikey might never land a perfect right hand on Loma. Mikey has been dropped before and Loma has also shown one punch KO power before, He could stop Mikey just as likely as Mikey could stop him. the HBO fight callers kept saying how huge the Mexican was and how small Ali was. They also said Ali was faster and more skilled. Ali was smaller because he is really a welterweight but the Mexican was just normal full sized sized 154 pound boxer and not some giant light heavyweight as Jones kept saying. I thought the Mexican was faster, more skilled and all around better than Ali. Smith would also have easily beaten Ali in my opinion. Ali got too much credit for beating a terrible version of Cotto.I doubt Ali will be a champion again at any weight.

Comment

Working...
      X