No announcement yet.

Floyd MAYWEATHER, Jr. - Men's Fitness magazine feature

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd MAYWEATHER, Jr. - Men's Fitness magazine feature

Don't know how many of you have seen/read it.

With the welterweight fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez only a day away, we talk shop with Editor in Chief of Men's Fitness magazine Roy S. Johnson.

Johnson and his team took part in a photoshoot for Mayweather's upcoming appearance on the magazine.

Interview by Michael Payne

Did you get to see him in action in the gym?

Our day was not a full workout. It was a shoot day, so I am sure we did not see him pushed to the max. That said, his power and quickness were more than apparent as was his passion for the sport.

In your experience how does his training compare to others you have seen?

Most elite athletes are the same. They do what they need to do and they do some more. Mayweather will never lose a fight because he's out of shape. He respects the sport too much to allow that to happen.

He looks in great shape, do you see the lay off he has had being a problem or could it have any benefits?

Both. His time in the gym since announcing his return (sparring, conditioning) however, should mitigate any downside he might have had from the layoff. The upside is that he has a renewed fire. His mind was able to relax and be refreshed, which could be a major benefit.

How do you see Floyd returning will affect the sport?

At least for the short term, he makes boxing relevant to a large market like no one else could. No one. Boxing still has issues that affect its long term viability but from now until he retires again, people will care about boxing again.

His training is at a very high level obviously, but what can the normal man on the street take away from this to help themselves in the gym?

Boxing is a great workout. Any guy can do what Mayweather does in the gym (ie. heavybag, speedbag, pullups, medicine ball situps, cardio "punching" sessions.). Boxing may be the ultimate old school workout with benefits for every part of your body.

With his return there is a risk of him not being as dedicated as he once was if he has lost the desire for the sport. Do you see any signs of this?

Not at all. See question one: His confidence (and yes, his arrogance) will not allow him to be unprepared.

I have heard people say that he only retired in order to encourage big money offers for a return. In the article the signs pointed largely to it being based on missing the sport. How do you see it?

There's never a simple answer as to why an athlete retires or unretires, especially in boxing but also in other sports (see: Jimmy Connors, Brett Favre, Michael Jordan etc.). I believe he was mentally burned out at the time he retired and that he ultimately learned he still has a passion for the sport andthe preperation required to compete at the highest level. Like his peers, amont elite athletes he probably also missed the stage to some degree. And the money doesn't suck!

To me fighting Marquez seems like a dangerous fight after being out so long. What are your thoughts?

Whether he was out long or not, it's a dangerous fight. But it's also a legitimate test if your goal is to fight Pacquiao next.

Looking to get more muscle on cardio days? Hector Roca trained champions like Arturo Gatti, Iran Barkley, and Buddy McGirt at Brooklyn's prestigious Gleason's Gym. He recommends these boxing moves.

1) HEAVY BAG PUNCH-OUT
    On the heavy bag, punch as hard and as often as possible for 30 seconds. Take a 30-second break and repeat this 10 times.

2) TABATA SPEED BAG
    While working with the speed bag, punch as quickly as possible for two minutes. Take a two-minute rest and then repeat this five times.

3) I CAN'T DO NO MORE
    With a weight vest, perform as many pullups as possible in a row. At failure, do pushups. When you hit your limit, hop on the bar and begin pullups again. Repeat until you can do no more of either.

yea i was reading that at walmart.

Comment

****in machine

Comment

I see you bitches got some new masturbating material.

Comment

cool.............

Comment

Originally posted by BMWM3P View Post
            I see you bitches got some new masturbating material.

my first laugh of the day

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
              my first laugh of the day
              I took you until 4 to get your first laugh of the day? Damn dude your day must be boring

Comment

This thread seems pretty ****fied .....

Comment

Dont understand how Arreola isn't on this.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                    I took you until 4 to get your first laugh of the day? Damn dude your day must be boring

its 130pm here in the west coast...i woke up at noon and had to fix my tire...then i had lunch...not boring so far...but yes, it was my first laugh of the day

Comment

Working...
                    X