No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Brook vs Spence. My thoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just rewatched Brook vs Spence. My thoughts

So, just took the horrible time to re-watch the fight from yesterday night.

I must admit that Spence did a lot better than I thought. When I watched it yesterday on a dodgy stream that paused every few moments, I felt Brook was comfortably in control up until the 7th round.

However, looking at it back, I actually only felt rounds 5,6 and 7 were good for him.

He fell into his shots a lot and didn't connect with many great punches in the early rounds, whereas spence was solid with the jab and went well to the body on the inside.

Brook was on top for those rounds I mentioned above, but after seeing spence come again, I felt that was the end for Brook. I also felt from there that he couldn't last.

In fact, I was surprised that he was still standing after 9th and 10th where Spence literally had a dead man in front of him. I think Brook deserves some credit for that.

The eye injury clearly had him thinking a lot and rightfully so. There's no reason to sustain permanent damage. It's a sport at the end of the day, let's not forget. People might disagree, but that's always how I've felt, and would have said the same if it was Spence.

Overall, I think Spence looked sharp. Not unbeatable, but I don't really think anyone is at WW. I think Brook looked dead after 7 rounds and should move up to 154. Spence's bodyshots of course were part of that, but even at this point I wouldn't advise Brook to take Khan at 147. It takes him 16 weeks to get down in weight, and that takes its toll on the fight too.

I rated Brook above Thurman as it was, so for me Spence is #1 right now until proven otherwise.

He really proved to be a champion yesterday night. and he's a good guy too. How could you hate him? He's a nice respectful kid, who doesn't care about fame, just about the glory, plus will clearly fight anyone.

That's something.

I haven't rewatched it yet. But from what I recall watching it live, Brook was landing that straight right with accuracy and authority and stunned Spence early. I was surprised Brook came out backing Spence up. I think it was pretty clear these two men are the strongest at that weight. That looked like a MW fight last night. Brook was also landing that sneaky uppercut on the inside. Early in the fight I think both guys took each others shots well. Kell's experience was showing early. The rounds were close but Kell knew how to make it look like he won the RDS. Each round felt like a 12 Rd fight within itself with the back and forth. Spence would be winning then Kell would finish strong and vice versa. Both did an excellent job of cutting off the ring. That 10th round was legendary. Kell showed he had some dog in him and his heart should never be questioned again. He quit but he's not a quitter

Comment

The Sky commentary was very biased and didn't acknowledge Spence's jab or body work early on. That's why you have a lot of guys on here saying Brook was easily out boxing Spence when he wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
        The Sky commentary was very biased and didn't acknowledge Spence's jab or body work early on. That's why you have a lot of guys on here saying Brook was easily out boxing Spence when he wasn't.
        Brook took 1-5, period. Many of Spence's jabs were air punches, his body work was on point but there wasn't enough of it, and Brook was much more agile.

Spence himself will acknowledge he lost the first half. But that's okay - that's how he fights. Same thing was happening against Algieri, he was getting outboxed at first. It just takes him time to adjust.

Comment

Good post, and agree with you on the #1 spot.

Comment

Errol Spence Junior had a better jab, and i believe his body shots early on was a very smart move! Kell Brook for me always looks like he is reaching with his punches, he has a very slim and petite wing span! Which in my opinion gives him issues when he faces a fighter who is great at throwing straight punches! (As the fight progress past the 6th round, Brook just slowly began to become weaker and his work more erratic! Brooks physical dimension's are very strange, visually he does not appear to be a big welter-weight in my opinion! and his bone structure is very petite, taking these factors into consideration! big tall fighters at 154 could stylistically cause him some major issues).

I predicted that Spencer Junior would stop him late!
            Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 05-28-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              Brook took 1-5, period. Many of Spence's jabs were air punches, his body work was on point but there wasn't enough of it, and Brook was much more agile.

Spence himself will acknowledge he lost the first half. But that's okay - that's how he fights. Same thing was happening against Algieri, he was getting outboxed at first. It just takes him time to adjust.
              This is just not true.

Comment

Spence was body bagging Brook alot in the early rounds on the inside with short shots abd mostly body shots are hard to keep up with because snapping headshots somewhat overwhelms the moment because of all the moving head and the splatter if sweat. It gives the illusion of the things that are clearly seen are stronger but not really knowing what is on the inside and hidden.

Comment

Froch was awful all night. He needs to be demoted

Comment

soul_survivor gave me red k for this thread

why?

Comment

Working...
                    X