Has MMA rendered traditional martial arts obsolete

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has MMA rendered traditional martial arts obsolete

Things like karate etc.

Do you think those martial arts will die out or is there still a place for them

If anything I think we're seeing a comeback of TMA in MMA. Most of the really good fighters already have a solid base in a TMA before adding on to their skill set. Guys like GSP, Machida, Pettis, and Anderson Silva all come from a TKD or Karate Background.....

Comment

Yeah, as long as there are successful fighters that have trained in karate, tae kwon do, kickboxing, muay thai, there will still be a place for martial arts. If anything, MMA has advanced the progression of martial arts, showing us what is most effective in a real, full contact fight. We now know what works and what doesn't work and some things that don't work today years later might work, depending on the fighter. karate guys got their asses beat for a while in the early days and then Lyoto Machida comes along. Strikers kept getting submitted and grounded and pounded by grapplers until they started training in ground fighting, learned to sprawl to avoid the takedowns and keep the fight on the feet so they could use their striking. The best fighters will always be able to keep the fight where they want it so they can employ whatever traditional style they're best at. If anything, MMA makes them more important, because fighters need to learn certain elements of just about all the different martial arts.

So the answer to the question would be no.
      Last edited by Anthony342; 02-12-2013, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Kids don't train mma. At least most don't. Their parents would never drive them to a "cage fighting class" as the general population consider this "brutal sport".

If anything, mma will help make karate, wrestling etc seem cool. When i grew up everyone thought only fhhhaggots wrestled. I'm sure it's a different tune nowadays.

Comment

Working...
        X