Reasons for starting boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for starting boxing

When and why did you all start boxing?

I had to permanently stop playing football a year ago, so I took up fitness training and conditioning to get into good shape. Then I took up boxing because I always admired it, and wanted to reach another level of self-discipline and pushing my limits. I start this past January, at the age of 17.

i watched a lot of MMA since high school and well i pretty much did a few arts, such as Judo, Mua Thai, and Jits, but never tried boxing. when i tried boxing out, i think it was the ultimate sport, it made me more tired than anything else i did combat wise, and probably athletically wise also. i met a friend that was amateur, he taught me a few things then i didn't see him for a while then i saw a gym which had a sign that said Palm Beach Boxing, checked it out, and was sold on it.

now that i admire boxing so much, when i watch MMA fights (still a fan), i ***** at their boxing skills, if any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by d_lyrik803 View Post
      i watched a lot of MMA since high school and well i pretty much did a few arts, such as Judo, Mua Thai, and Jits, but never tried boxing. when i tried boxing out, i think it was the ultimate sport, it made me more tired than anything else i did combat wise, and probably athletically wise also. i met a friend that was amateur, he taught me a few things then i didn't see him for a while then i saw a gym which had a sign that said Palm Beach Boxing, checked it out, and was sold on it.

now that i admire boxing so much, when i watch MMA fights (still a fan), i ***** at their boxing skills, if any at all.
      As a matter of fact, I also watched a lot of UFC on the tele before starting boxing. Boxing seemed more of a man's sport though; UFC basically comes down to grown men humping one another on the ground, much like wrestling.

Comment

I started at the beginning of last year at the age of 31.
        I did it because I wanted to loose weight and get fit, and I thought Boxers were the fittest out there so I would train like them.
        by the end of last year I had lost 20kg (44lb).

I had no intentions of boxing.
        But now I spar more rounds than most in the gym, me and another guy get used as the work horses in the gym.

I still have a couple of years left to make the Amateurs so I might give it a go.

DMC

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
          When and why did you all start boxing?

I had to permanently stop playing football a year ago, so I took up fitness training and conditioning to get into good shape. Then I took up boxing because I always admired it, and wanted to reach another level of self-discipline and pushing my limits. I start this past January, at the age of 17.
          when i was younger like 9, 10, 11, 12 years old I was an athelte.. I won basketball tournaments, kid marathons and iron man competitions and swimming and running at this summer camp i used to go to.. i was the man.. and everyone would chant my last name and that was the greatest feelin i ever had in my life.. then as a teenager i got in with the wrong crowd got in some toruble did some bad thins and never got around to boxing when i wanted to do it at 17.. now at 21 i satrted 2 months ago and i did 3 weeks of sparring.. i want that glory back.. winning

also in my avatar thats my great grandfather he came to america from Ireland in 1905 or somthin like that and was a pro boxer and a pretty big name in NY back in his day.. i found that pic on the internet of him..

Comment

I was scared of getting hit.

Comment

In my area growing up if you did sports it was either football, basketball, baseball, or hockey and I played those but i was about average. And the kids who were the superstars at those sports locally were the popular people. So i basically said to myself '**** that iam tougher then those kids' that and i already had a desire to box all my life.

Comment

i had always wanted to box....
                but my mom had told me against it
                because she worked with a manager whose whole family boxed
                and one night the whole family except the dad got murdered in there house...
                so to keep my mom happy i have kept away
                but now...
                im old enough to make my own decisions...
                and im sorry mom...
                but this is something i just feel like i have to do!!!!
                I Cant Wait To Get In That Ring!!!

-see ya at the 2012 olympics!!
                haha...
                hopefully!!

Comment

It's exciting and it tests all your abilities - physical, mental, and emotional. I like the technical skill involved in boxing as well as the conditioning aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWater39 View Post
                    also in my avatar thats my great grandfather he came to america from Ireland in 1905 or somthin like that and was a pro boxer and a pretty big name in NY back in his day.. i found that pic on the internet of him..
                    That's so cool! Somehow I always think 'back in the day' boxers were even tougher...

I picked up boxing, cause it's great fun, difficult to master, and a great workout.

Comment

Working...
                    X