No announcement yet.

How come Sonny Liston...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come Sonny Liston...

Had such an un-noteworthy KO record at the start of his career? His first 10 fights were 9-1 (3 KOS... and all his KOS were by stoppage.. It doesn't look like a slugger's record to me. Then he won most of his fights thereon by KOs.. What was up with that? Did he greatly improve? Did he change his style?

Some would say that the fights after that were fixed by the mob. I think he just greatly improved as a boxer. If you watch some of his earlier fights and then compare that to his later (pre Ali) ones, then he does greatly improve in strength and style.

Comment

Originally posted by supaduck
      Had such an un-noteworthy KO record at the start of his career? His first 10 fights were 9-1 (3 KOS... and all his KOS were by stoppage.. It doesn't look like a slugger's record to me. Then he won most of his fights thereon by KOs.. What was up with that? Did he greatly improve? Did he change his style?
      i think after those fights he went to prison and then got better in prison, so when he got out, he became an instant destroyer!

Comment

I thought he took it up while in prison, not before.

Comment

He did take it up in prison.

Comment

Then maybe his natural strength just increased, it happens, Julian Jackson wasn't a KO artist that early in his career either, he got stronger.

Comment

they were fake fights, like wwf. the mob built him up so they could bring in huge money when they brought him down against clay.

Comment

Uh huh. Sure they were Blockhead, sure they were.

Comment

Originally posted by blockhead
                  they were fake fights, like wwf. the mob built him up so they could bring in huge money when they brought him down against clay.
                  for some one who likes to flame people and calling them idiots and such, that was a pretty stupid post made.
                  Last edited by butterfly1964; 02-18-2006, 03:59 PM.

Comment

It was more than stupid....

Comment

Working...
                    X