I Think It's Time to Drop the P4P Mythical Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larry GGG View Post
    Ward becomes p4p #1 all the -p4p should be eliminated

Ward has a bad ppv THEY LAUGH!!!..GGG has 2 and all the sudden PPV doesnt matter

Ward has a close fight-THE JUDGES ARE TERRIBLE...GGG has a close fight-ALL 3 JUDGES GAVE HIM THE FIGHT

As I stated above, Larry, I will gladly bump this thread the very second anyone else gets the number one spot.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      Well I don't know about that. I mean, I've never seen...oh wait. I forgot. I took a load of garbage to the dump the other day and sure enough, a WBO belt sat right there on the top. I asked the guy running the compactor what he thought about it. He pushed the crush button and returned to his office.
      Hahahaha, couldn't even get scrap money for it.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
        Hahahaha, couldn't even get scrap money for it.
        I haven't been watching Pawn Stars lately but if those belts found their way in there, I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

I promise every one of you that I'll bump this thread if GGG or Kovalev or RG or anybody gets it. Guaranteed. I think the concept is just lame. That's all. It's all subjective and not something you actually win inside the ring.
          Fair enough then. I apologize if that's true. I've subscribed to the thread.

The value of P4P, as I myself understand it, is to acknowledge the skills and accomplishments of fighters in all weight classes by considering them relative to the fighter's size. This gives the casual boxing public some insight into who boxing insiders consider to be doing the most impressive things, despite that we understand that the top much smaller fighters would almost surely not best the top larger fighters head to head. (Especially nowadays in the era where the top heavyweights are largely in the territory of 6' 5'+ and 240+lbs)

Sure the list is subjective, but then again so are the outcomes of individual matches sometimes. In rounds where both fighters land about the same number of punches, judges have to use a subjective assessment of how impressive the fighters were or how hurt the fighters seemed etc.

And the rankings for an individual weight class tend to be subjective, especially in divisions where matchups between the top fighters haven't happened yet.
          Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-22-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            Fair enough then. I apologize if that's true. I've subscribed to the thread.

The value of P4P, as I myself understand it, is to acknowledge the skills and accomplishments of fighters in all weight classes by considering them relative to the fighter's size. This gives the casual boxing public some insight into who boxing insiders consider to be doing the most impressive things, despite that we understand that the top much smaller fighters would almost surely not best the top larger fighters head to head. (Especially nowadays in the era where the top heavyweights are largely in the territory of 6' 5'+ and 240+lbs)

Sure the list is subjective, but then again so are the outcomes of individual matches sometimes. In rounds where both fighters land about the same number of punches, judges have to use a subjective assessment of how impressive the fighters were or how hurt the fighters seemed etc.

And the rankings for an individual weight class tend to be subjective, especially in divisions where matchups between the top fighters haven't happened yet.
            Oh I get the argument and you make a great one, sir. For me, it's just the fact that it can't be proven. Two guys in the same weight class or near the same weight class can actually get in there and fight(if they will). Ward and RG are never going to fight. That's pretty much my main point. It can't be proven. I understand it as a measuring stick, though. Great post.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
              If they would beat Floyd or Manny, then yes of course they are better. If a man and a woman play chess and the man wins, is the woman the better player because she's a woman? Even though she lost? If a 250 pound man and a 150 pound man race, and the 150 pound man wins the race, is the 250 pound man actually faster even though he was really slower?

The argument you're making here is completely illogical.

We have weight classes so we can make money from more world champions. We have weight classes so we can make money from the 1,783rd best boxer in the world. But it doesn't change who is the better fighter. The better fighter is the fighter that would win.

If you started a basketball league for people shorter than 5' 6", would you claim they're actually the best basketball players even though they would lose to the taller players?

Yes it does. He's better at playing tennis. He would win in a tennis match. The person who is better at playing tennis is the better tennis player. This is common sense.

Yes, we have divisions for a reason. Money. A marketing gimmick to trick people into caring about who is the "world champion" of being terrible at boxing.
              Um, I doubt Boxing divisions were Created in the 1800's for Financial Gain. So by your logic, let's eliminate Boxing divisions, and have everyone Box each other. Really, HW would be the only division left. Floyd, GG, Duran, Leonard, u name it would not have a career? You're welcome to your opinion, but I'm sure less than 1% of people on this forum (or even in general) are in favor of eliminating weight classes. I enjoy me A Flyweight Bout as much as I enjoy the big dudes. So in wrestling, Kickboxing, Etc., no more weight classes?

Don't get me wrong, I like the HW's too, but I dont want Every Single Bout on TV to be only HW's. Other than the top 20 or so HW guys, I would get tired of seeing a bunch of 300 lb'ers who eat 10 cheeseburgers Every Day who can barely move around the ring. I like variety. There is simply more action at lower weight classes. In this way, Boxing is different from other sports that u mentioned.
              Last edited by HAMMER77777; 03-22-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I promise every one of you that I'll bump this thread if GGG or Kovalev or RG or anybody gets it. Guaranteed. I think the concept is just lame. That's all. It's all subjective and not something you actually win inside the ring.
                Let's sit here and act like GGG fans didn't Start paying attention to kov until a fight with WARd was looming

They wanted to see the guy lose regardless of who

Has no thing to do with RG and Kov ....its lame because GGG has no claim to p4p...you guys are see through.....RG and Kov deserved p4p placement....GGG doesn't...deal with it....has he taken risks like them? Hell no and you know

P4p has been around since the 1930s....henry Armstrong, barney Ross era....won't go away because a few dick riders are upset that a fighter they love is overrated n doesn't take risks

Comment

Originally posted by larry GGG View Post
                  lol.Floyd was on the p4p list since 1998 man
                  They weren't following boxing then lol

I guess they forgot PAC wasn't #1 until Floyd retired lol...bu bu bu ward got it cuz RG lost

Then when they fight and settle it, shoulder gate.....funny how the shoulder never was an issue since lol....fake azz injury. Ive had a strain n my shoulder and was adviced not to train, it hurt to even lift my arms past shoulder level, barely could lift groceries past my chest yet this fool goes rounds throwing shots with a tear? Yea right

Comment

I haven't been watching Pawn Stars lately but if those belts found their way in there, I wouldn't be surprised.
                    "Look, there's no money to be made, and it's not even one of a kind. But..fine, I'll give you $20. But only because you're wearing a funny hat"

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      Let's sit here and act like GGG fans didn't Start paying attention to kov until a fight with WARd was looming

They wanted to see the guy lose regardless of who

Has no thing to do with RG and Kov ....its lame because GGG has no claim to p4p...you guys are see through.....RG and Kov deserved p4p placement....GGG doesn't...deal with it....has he taken risks like them? Hell no and you know

P4p has been around since the 1930s....henry Armstrong, barney Ross era....won't go away because a few dick riders are upset that a fighter they love is overrated n doesn't take risks
                      No I liked Kovalev before Ward. I first saw him beat Cleverly and thought he was a beast. Then he dominated Hopkins which impressed me. And I've enjoyed watching him fight ever since.

The RING magazine has only actually been doing them on a regular basis since 1989. They never have mattered because they can't be proven. For conversation sake, sure. It's all well and good just like mythical match-ups. However, you cannot gauge this in any way. Ward can fight Kovalev. Ward can possibly fight GGG. GGG can possibly fight Kovalev. How do either of them fight RG? That will never happen and cannot be proven. So, it's a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. You're lumping me into a group here but as I stated, when another guy rises to number one, I'll bump this thread back up.

Comment

Working...
                      X