Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Injuries, Conspiracies & Floyd-Devon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Injuries, Conspiracies & Floyd-Devon

by David P. Greisman - There is no trust in boxing, not in a sport where the credo for its combatants is to protect themselves at all times. That is of utmost importance in the ring; that maxim might as well hold true outside of it as well.

This was a business built up with mob involvement, by the shady practices of promoters and the questionable decisions of sanctioning bodies, damaged by continual controversy and darkened by the specter of judging and refereeing that raises questions of corruption and allegations of incompetence.

We as boxing fans and observers have learned to question everything.

We have gone from long counts to phantom punches, from banned substances in water bottles to banned substances in hand wraps to banned substances in the fighters themselves. We raise an eyebrow at the boxers themselves, who no longer just take dives, but now duck opponents — and who are not at all immune from being labeled as fakes and frauds. [Click Here To Read More]

Celebrities and athletes need to get off twitter..even if you delete your twattering someone saw it and likely took a pic..same with Erik Morales and his insinuation Marquez was doping..I can see the Garcia kid being irresponsible, the people around him are going to let him. I mean he's what? 24, a millionaire, champion, and new to fame..nobody including good ole dad is going to interfere..considering he's treated like the sun shines out his ass this is no big shock. I hope Zab has the night of his life in their fight tho. Fact is Guerrero easily gets paid high six figures close to seven for the belts he holds if he just wanted to keep fighting on premium cable, hey Canelo's made a small fortune off showtime already doing this. Alexander on the other hand is happy to take 2 million for a loss. The no negotiating power I disagree with..he's a belt holder and a belt you stand to win I think he's got a bit of leverage there for himself. I think he's the tougher opponent if he's allowed to impose his will.

Comment

I can't wait for Floyd vs Devon.

Comment

I CAN wait ....lol , come on floyd make a real fight !

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup
          Celebrities and athletes need to get off twitter..even if you delete your twattering someone saw it and likely took a pic..same with Erik Morales and his insinuation Marquez was doping..I can see the Garcia kid being irresponsible, the people around him are going to let him. I mean he's what? 24, a millionaire, champion, and new to fame..nobody including good ole dad is going to interfere..considering he's treated like the sun shines out his ass this is no big shock. I hope Zab has the night of his life in their fight tho. Fact is Guerrero easily gets paid high six figures close to seven for the belts he holds if he just wanted to keep fighting on premium cable, hey Canelo's made a small fortune off showtime already doing this. Alexander on the other hand is happy to take 2 million for a loss. The no negotiating power I disagree with..he's a belt holder and a belt you stand to win I think he's got a bit of leverage there for himself. I think he's the tougher opponent if he's allowed to impose his will.
          Good post but Alexander and the bold do not belong in the same sentence. Alexander impose his will? What will?

Nobody wants to hear Alexander's barking ass hitting nothing but air and clinching to death.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

whatever...

I could live without a mayweather fight the fight im looking forward to is
            Nonito vs Rigo

Comment

Brilliant article, I was also suspicious of the sudden rise in "injuries" lately that seem far too convenient to be legitimate. As for the Mayweather-Alexander circus, if floyd actually takes this fight i don't think he can call himself P4P king any longer, no matter the outcome. For one he's been far too inactive of late, refuses to make the fights the fans want, and seems content to fight on the same card as canelo as opposed to fighting him in order to keep his PPV numbers. I will accept Floyd fighting only once a year, but if he wants to do that and continue to call himself the best he has to give us better fights than this garbage....I didn't even think guerrero was a good fight until Floyd started his twitter announcements. I hope that's floyd's plan: use the alexander talk to make the guerrero fight look better. Interested to see how this all plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                by David P. Greisman - There is no trust in boxing, not in a sport where the credo for its combatants is to protect themselves at all times. That is of utmost importance in the ring; that maxim might as well hold true outside of it as well.

This was a business built up with mob involvement, by the shady practices of promoters and the questionable decisions of sanctioning bodies, damaged by continual controversy and darkened by the specter of judging and refereeing that raises questions of corruption and allegations of incompetence.

We as boxing fans and observers have learned to question everything.

We have gone from long counts to phantom punches, from banned substances in water bottles to banned substances in hand wraps to banned substances in the fighters themselves. We raise an eyebrow at the boxers themselves, who no longer just take dives, but now duck opponents — and who are not at all immune from being labeled as fakes and frauds. [Click Here To Read More]
                Guerrero is the new Margarito...the most feared man in boxing. Guerrero is an elite fighter and the fans want to see him fight Mayweather. Sign em up lets do this. WAR GUERRERO!!

Comment

Article was good at bringing more attention to this.....I feel that the trend of all of these "Injuries" and fighters dropping out a few weeks before fight-night is also due to PED scheduling - as well as all of these other reasons this article states. The trend of dropping out of fights has increased alot this past 2-3 yrs...so has the amount of fighters getting tagged for banned substance

Comment

I agree with everything, however I think it most definately SHOULD matter what the fans think. A lot, in fact. Contrary to Bob Arums "I don't give a **** what the fans want" and Floyd Mayweathers "the fans don't take care of my kids" - the fans very much DO pay their bills. And even though we sometimes have to wade through the obviously hate filled or ridiculous conspiracy theories, it still matters. The problem is when the people complaining the loudest still turn around and buy these fights, giving the Bob Arums, GBPs and Floyd Mayweathers etc. etc. the satisfaction of high (enough) numbers, the results are a "who gives a ****, they'll buy it anyway" never ending cycle. If the main event isn't good enough to sell itself, the pitch becomes "look at the great undercards we have". Whatever happened to "it should have a great undercard anyway" theory? I'll stop here though, because undercard discussions are a whole other monster in itself. Let's just say, I get what these promoters are doing. They aren't rich for no reason. We made them rich, and we continue to make them richer.

We need to make ourselves matter more. But beyond furiously stroking their keyboards in outrage, it doesn't seem that the majority (so far) is really standing up against these issues. The only way for us to stand up is to stop buying these fights we don't believe in. The business of boxing has put boxing fans in a ****ty predicament. We just want to watch GOOD fights. Unfortunately for now, it will continue to be "You'll get what we give you and if you don't like it ".

Comment

Working...
                    X