Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size glove for training? 10oz, 14oz, or 16?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how anyone here can think using 10 OZ gloves for hitting heavy bag, and 16 OZ for sparring is beneficial. After 1 round of sparring your arms are going to be tired because your not using to the heavier glove.

And of course using heavier gloves for training makes you faster and stronger.

Wear 16 OZ gloves for a month of training and then go wear a 12 or 10 oz, I guarantee your speed and power, and amt of punches you throw goes up.

Comment

I wear 14oz for bags and pads and usually 18 but sometimes 16 for sparring.

Sometimes I'll wear 10's for pads.

Comment

People starting out in boxing should leave the 16 ounces for when they get good enough for sparring. Jumping right in to using 16 ouncers, especially for kids who are lighter, will inhibit their ability to learn the proper technique, IMHO. Should use 12-14 ounces for bag and mitt work and get used to throwing properly

Comment

i like to use 16 for bags and we use 20 ounces or sometimes 18 for sparring i think itsa good idead cuzthe amateur fights the gloves are 12 so ull b able to do alot more damage

Comment

I highly doubt that wearing heavier gloves will increase your punch power or speed much.
            Otherwise why dont all pro's just train with heavier and heavier gloves each year then they'll all be Mike Tysons or George Foremans within a few years....

The only benefit I can see to training with heavier gloves is that you will no doubt get better arm endurance because to hold your guard up with 16oz is more strenuous than with 8oz....simple.
            And obviously you will feel more confident in the fight because you will feel like you arent wearing gloves at all.

But if somebody has legitimate proof that heavier gloves will make your punches faster and more powerful.....then be my guest and post it up and i'll gladly apoligise and eat my words.

Comment

lol @ u wearing 10 oz 4 bag work... and 14 for sparing smh...

look at me am 135 and use 14 for everything and 16oz for sparing!

step your **** up...

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                I don't know how anyone here can think using 10 OZ gloves for hitting heavy bag, and 16 OZ for sparring is beneficial. After 1 round of sparring your arms are going to be tired because your not using to the heavier glove.

Wear 16 OZ gloves for a month of training and then go wear a 12 or 10 oz, I guarantee your speed and power, and amt of punches you throw goes up.
                pacquiao uses 12 ounces to hit the bag and mitts, and he's arguably the fastest boxer out there

wearing 16oz gloves to practice technique doesn't help. it may not hurt some, but to a guy that isn't too into boxing yet, it could ruin his form

i love doing mitts with 12oz gloves. since i started doing it, my form improved drastically, and i don't have any problems during sparring with the change to 16oz gloves

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post

It has worked fine for me, I have won most of my fights and done well, and another fighter trained by my coach does the same and has fought internationally.

After 1 round of sparring your will be tired at peak fitness last year I could spar at a high pace for as much as 6 rounds at a time and still have enough in the tank to do conditioning and stuff.

Comment

i think it's pretty obvious that if you use 16 oz. gloves for training, then go down to 10 or 8 for a fight, that you won't magically have the power of Tommy Hearns or Sugar Ray

Power, in my opinion, comes from correct technique and leverage

but i think using heavy gloves for training is beneficial because they'll protect your hands and you won't feel as slow when you use Fight Gloves

Comment

Pros fight with 8 and 10 oz gloves. For bag and mitt work they usually wear 8, 10 and 12 oz gloves. These gloves allow the fighter to set their punches better and forces them to throw punches correctly. Heavier gloves are too bulky to work on the mitts. When working on speed, you usually use lighter gloves. At 154 pounds, you can spar with 12 and 14 oz gloves.

Comment

Working...
                      X