Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Americans act like boxing is an American sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WarHagler View Post
    https://healthandfitnesshistory.com/...machia-boxing/
    Well it looks weight classes were added as well as multiple rounds and decisions .

They are similarities but the had other combats sports that used wrapped fists before this

3rd BC millennium Sumeria is first where they had a similar combat sport.

There was a huge disconnect between Queensberry and ancient Greece. Seems as the had some other similar sports in the middle ages. So doubtful Greece was the inspiration.

But it was Queensberry where modern boxing and the sport we know today was formed.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I am an American but I know my boxing history and the sport started in England. The English and Irish brought boxing to America and America became very good at boxing. I just root for boxers I like based on how they fight and what they are like as a person. I don't care where they live and don't favor American boxers over others. I like lots of English boxers. My favorite is Callum Smith. I think he is the best at 168 unless Bivol could beat him since Bivol says he can go to 168. If an American fights and Englishman I just root for the boxer I like the most and it might be the Englishman.
      Didn't Callum lose to Beterbiev at LHW? I guess he moved back down ... big boys up there

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
        Since Porter has a trinket, he isn’t mid-tier. He’s an American champion and Kell Brook battered him in his backyard in America.

Spence fought a damaged/shot Brook with one eye.
        Spence gave him a matching one in deference

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
          They are similarities but the had other combats sports that used wrapped fists before this

3rd BC millennium Sumeria is first where they had a similar combat sport.

There was a huge disconnect between Queensberry and ancient Greece. Seems as the had some other similar sports in the middle ages. So doubtful Greece was the inspiration.

But it was Queensberry where modern boxing and the sport we know today was formed.
          Agree to disagree I suppose. I still believe that it laid down foundation to queensberry rule .

Comment

You are a very rude insulting guy who started this thread to pick a fight with Americans. Other than insulting and pissing off Americans I don't know what you started this thread for or what you hope to accomplish. I am just a boxing fan and don't care about soccer, football or rugby. I thought this was a boxing board for boxing fans.
            Very good post, eluding to the motives of this thread.

The BangEm dude is obviously seeking to sow discord or negativity because he somehow feels offended or vexed about some other content within the Forum.

I've said before that this type of instigation is unfortunate, sad, and juvenile, because the sport of boxing is actually an opportunity to promote unity and bring people together. Such divisive rhetoric only serves to divide and provoke.

The BoxingScene Forum is very liberal in terms of its permissible content and censorship. Each member has a personal responsibility to police his/her own agenda being put forth. I encourage all of us to be thoughtful and consider the motives and merits of our agendas, before we hit the "submit reply" button.

Most of us realize the unpopularity of boxing today, and how rare it is to find friends in real life, willing to discuss the "nitty-gritty" of boxing. We'll be better off in the long run, if we find more ways to bring us together, than tear us apart. I recommend some reading on what Nelson Mandela thought about "the power of sports to unite PEOPLE GROUPS".

- Peace.

"Sport has the power to change the world, It has the power to inspire, it has the power to unite people in a way that little else does."
            -- Nelson Mandela

Comment

Originally posted by MastaBlasta View Post
              Spence gave him a matching one in deference
              Oh, after he became damaged goods with one eye and everyone was saying he should retire.

Comment

You are a very rude insulting guy who started this thread to pick a fight with Americans. Other than insulting and pissing off Americans I don't know what you started this thread for or what you hope to accomplish. I am just a boxing fan and don't care about soccer, football or rugby. I thought this was a boxing board for boxing fans.
                Good post. It was something I was gonna say, too. Thanks for saving me time. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post

The BangEm dude is obviously seeking to sow discord or negativity because he somehow feels offended or vexed about some other content within the Forum.

I've said before that this type of instigation is unfortunate, sad, and juvenile, because the sport of boxing is actually an opportunity to promote unity and bring people together. Such divisive rhetoric only serves to divide and provoke.

The BoxingScene Forum is very liberal in terms of its permissible content and censorship. Each member has a personal responsibility to police his/her own agenda being put forth. I encourage all of us to be thoughtful and consider the motives and merits of our agendas, before we hit the "submit reply" button.

Most of us realize the unpopularity of boxing today, and how rare it is to find friends in real life, willing to discuss the "nitty-gritty" of boxing. We'll be better off in the long run, if we find more ways to bring us together, than tear us apart. I recommend some reading on what Nelson Mandela thought about "the power of sports to unite PEOPLE GROUPS".

- Peace.

"Sport has the power to change the world, It has the power to inspire, it has the power to unite people in a way that little else does."
                  -- Nelson Mandela
                  Your fellow ignorant Americans do too much. There's a big world out there outside America and no one needs to go to America. And the greatest boxers are Cubans and they should be the ones saying that, not Americans.

Stay humble. Eating big food and driving big cars don't make you the best.

Comment

Brits are soft. Also a reason why their country is being taken over right now lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post

- Peace.

-- Nelson Mandela
                      Well written and smart post.

I don't think the guy is bad at all or anything like that.

He's disappointed and sad because his favorite fighter (Joshua) just lost in such spectacular way. I think it's his way of venting off some of that negative energy.

I don't like too much censorship. The NSB mods are cool because most of them are among us and know what's up.

Green K sent.
                      Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 07-06-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X