Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When something goes wrong around the house, who fixes it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can find out the gist of anything, but I know what’s worth my while. I can help with any house related stuff and get the best deal on any item, but I have a brother for most of that. I can find out what’s wrong with most cars, bypass most dealer bull*****. I’m good with computers. These are two industries that I consider “Rackets” and wish was taught in schools more. I can cook and am a decent baker, YouTube helps a lot like most have said. When u can drag a big net and then glean what pops up the most it helps. That being said I’m having issues getting my new video card to work if anyone’s a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
      Hahahaha fuking hell man!

Comment

I just pay a professional to do it lol

**** that, i'm not going to get my hands dirty for a half ass job. Im gonna get it fixed right.
        Last edited by llll; 01-15-2020, 04:40 AM.

Comment

I try to fix everything, then we call someone and have it done right.

Comment

I do like a real man

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
              something straightforward you can youtube it, but if its involving remotely even death n disaster, like the boiler, I call someone (but not for obvious stuff obviously like "release this valve for 20 seconds" etc).

I appreciate tools can be an issue for those with hand problems, for instance. The older people must be a lucrative market for handymen.
              You're not wrong there, man.

Comment

My dad never really showed me much when I was growing up. His mates were plumbers, painters, electricians, builders etc, and he liked giving them work.

But once I got my own house, I started picking things up. It's funny, it just kind of happens bit by bit. Something needs to be done, and you don't want to spend a fortune, so you do it yourself. So you find yourself googling how to paper the joints in drywall for the new wall you just put up in the room you are about to install floating engineered timber boards in.

I don't think I will ever touch anything electrical (although I did run ethernet cabling through my own house) and I will only do the smallest and easiest plumbing stuff. The next thing I think I will try to learn is tiling. My bathrooms are almost 40 years old, and need to be renovated - but that is damned expensive to get a professional to do.

Comment

With the internet I just learn how to fix everything myself. I've never hired a handyman.

I haven't run into any major electrical/subterranean plumbing stuff though.

Comment

It will fix itself

Comment

From house to cars and everything in between... my first inclination is to repair it myself unless it’s time critical situation and I don’t have the time to do it myself.

I’ve ran 30A dual pole lines to my AC and Dryer.
                      I recently fixed a leaking toilet by replacing the flange and seal.
                      Home Depot and eBay (for hard to find replacement parts) is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X