Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 PM #1
Boxing Obsessed

Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
W1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond reputeW1LL has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 16,292.74
Total Points: 22,588.90
Great posting, Usyk Brother! - Tony Trick-Pony 
Default Why did "Merciless" Ray Mercer vacate the WBO title?

Ray Mercer is one of my favourite Heavyweights of recent history and I feel he is some what unheralded. However, when he captured the WBO Heavyweight title, he made one defence before vacating and taking on a 42 year old Larry Holmes.

I understand he went for a perceived money fight, but why throw away the title? What were the specifics? Why not fight his mandatory, Michael Moorer, then take the Holmes fight?
W1LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-06-2018, 02:49 PM #2
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 16845 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,115.08
Total Points: 53,305.65
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 

I don't really remember the particulars of him dropping that title, I'm sure someone else will though, but what I do know is at that time the WBO was a 2nd rate title & not on par with the 3 main belts (WBA, WBC & IBF). It was just above the USBA or NABF titles in most US fans opinions & under the 3 main belts so him dropping that belt wasn't nearly as big of a deal as one dropping a WBO belt would be today.

And I do tend to agree he's an underrated guy, but I think he kinda did it to himself with his lack of motivation for several of his fights & almost always coming up short in big fights. After that Tommy Morrison KO I expected big things from him, but I think one could say that W was the highlight of his career & it was downhill from there even if he got some big fights later on.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 20,911.84
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 

That era seemed to breed guys who were really good but could not get it all together into the full montey. Another one, arguably destroyed by King in this case, was Tim Witherspoon. On a good day this guy could fight with the best...Oliver Mccall, though a wee bit later, was also part of that group in my opinion. I would take either man, and probably Mercer on a good day as well, to be a hard fight for any heavyweight that ever plied his trade!

If you want an answer to your question Willy, look at whom was managing Mercer. Was it King? and look at whom was managing Moore. This would tell you a lot I suspect about why Mercer may have skipped this fight.

One other possibility: Moore had a real reputation as fighters fighter! He may have been ducked. though I doubt it
billeau2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:32 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 9,838.17

The OP is right--someone on here will know eventually.

As to why Mercer never went on to capture the whole Marianne--it was a lackadaisical streak--as to why he had that we might have to ask his mother, but more likely the answer could lie somewhere in the logjam of boxing politics of the era. It may be that King's shenanigans had a way of disheartening and embittering his charges to the point that they hated to win for him anymore, setting themselves up with a dangerous contradiction where they sometimes toyed with their own defeat before winning.

An even more likely cause for his eventual unsuccess was a natural lackadaisical streak. You find that in certain fighters. Mike Weaver comes to mind. You can easily see what they have to do to win the encounter--up their activity and go after their man. But something prevents them. In front of your television set, you cannot figure out what it is that prevents them, because you are not empathic enough. They do not have the dominant vantage point of an all time master like Mayweather, Leonard or Ali when it comes to awareness and alertness in the ring. The masters take ring generalship way beyond tactics and footwork. These guys (the ATGs) seemed to even know what judges were thinking, because they were controlling that, too, as they went along.

None of that for Weaver or Mercer. They did not have that kind of vision. They did not seem to ever know how things likely stood with the judges when you yourself could see they were obviously behind in a fight yet still dragging their feet for no reason you could discern.

They didn't have those higher gifts of vision and mind control to complement their physical attributes, is, I believe, the scientific reason they were failures. If they could have even realized as much as we realized from our dominant, outside angle, they would have modified their ring behavior to take advantage of it. But they could not see the forest clearly for the trees. Only a precious few have the higher gift of dominant vision that sees not only everything happening in the ring but also seems to know and even control the very thoughts and feelings of millions watching, including the judges. Besides the gifted ones, there are those with average and also those with mediocre super vision. Mercer would definitely be in the group with mediocre (next to none) super vision in my opinion.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 AM #5
Lords of Boxingscene

Quoted: 3264 Post(s)
TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 30,261,475.28
Total Points: 30,261,774.84
Merry Christmas - siablo14 Merry Christmas, TBear! Love yah (No homo) - Kuyukut Merry Christmas, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 Belated Merry Christmas mate, hope you had a good one. - Brady_Blows12 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too T sorry it's late but I was away - -jose- 
Who came first, the Easter Bunny or the Easter egg? - !! AI-Holmes!! congrats! - -jose- Celebrating my son's 2 goals yesterday (he's 8) has 9 for the season one more game left - -jose- HBD - siablo14 Happy bday. Have a beer - -MEGA- 
Happy 4th and be lated birthday hermano! - -jose- Happy Holidays - jaded Merry Christmas - siablo14 Merry Christmas to you and family! - Dehydrator Merry Christmas to you too! - Talisayen 
Happy Christmas, TBear! - peyk-peyk Pie for Christmas desert, happy holidays! - jazluvr Merry Christmas! - -MEGA- Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! :wave - -jose- 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

Money. Mercer made more money fighting the old underdog in Holmes than he would for fighting Moorer.
Mercer who was like a 4-1 favorite, hoped to fight Holyfield after Holmes but Holmes scored the upset and about four months later got a title shot against Holyfield.
TBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:39 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,115.33
Total Points: 15,036.69
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Yeah and the WBO wasn't a major title until about the mid 2000s. 4 belts is too much to be undisputed, especially with all the crappy mandatories they throw at belt holders. 2 seemed right, even maybe 3, but more than that is kind of ridiculous, which is probably why lineal is more important these days.
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 19,630.26
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
Yeah and the WBO wasn't a major title until about the mid 2000s. 4 belts is too much to be undisputed, especially with all the crappy mandatories they throw at belt holders. 2 seemed right, even maybe 3, but more than that is kind of ridiculous, which is probably why lineal is more important these days.
Yeah, at that time the WBO was very young. Mercer and Morrison were some of their first heavyweight champions
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM #8
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 10195 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,517.14
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Whenever a new sanctioning body comes out (like say the IBO) I'm always vocal in encouraging people to ignore their belt.

That way it hopefully doesn't gain any traction and become accepted as legit.

I wish this had been done with the WBO when it first debuted. We need less world champions in boxing not more.
ShoulderRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,115.33
Total Points: 15,036.69
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Exactly. These days, it's pretty much about lineal and Ring for the hardcore fans. I heard about TBRB recently, I wouldn't mind those rankings gaining more traction and eventually becoming THE belt to win, from what I've read anyway. They any good?
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:03 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 19,630.26
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
Whenever a new sanctioning body comes out (like say the IBO) I'm always vocal in encouraging people to ignore their belt.

That way it hopefully doesn't gain any traction and become accepted as legit.

I wish this had been done with the WBO when it first debuted. We need less world champions in boxing not more.
I think guys like Hamed and Barrera made it a household name.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
"merciless", mercer, title?, vacate

User Tag List