Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between JACOBS and GGG WBA title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hard to keep up these days. As far as i know, a fighter becomes a super champion if he has defended his WBA title 5 times, or if he holds 2 or more of the available titles: WBO,WBA,WBC,IBF.

When a fighter becomes a super champion, the title he originally held becomes a 'regular' title..which is then made vacant for two other available/highest ranked guys to fight over.

So you have a super champion, and a regular champion. The super champ is seen as the 'real' champ. Some ranking systems like Ring don't recognize the regular champion as a champion.

I think the idea was supposed to be that the burden of mandatories became lighter on the super champ, who held titles from different governing bodies. But really, it was probably just so the WBA can charge sanctioning fees to both the super and regular champ.

I think it's something close to those lines. There is that many titles these days that they tend to become somewhat confusing after time.

Comment

Gennady Golovkin is the real middleweight champion.

Daniel Jacobs is a paper champion who was KOed by Dmitry Pirog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
        Golovkin's is more respected, but people still count his defenses as WBA Regular champ so Jacobs should be no different
        Exactly....the media and GGG'S fans made the regular belt matter

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          Gennady Golovkin is the real middleweight champion.

Daniel Jacobs is a paper champion who was KOed by Dmitry Pirog.
          So ggg's paper defenses dont count then right?

Comment

Jacobs fought cancer and came back for a belt. the other is an HBO hype job fighting uber and taxi drivers saying that he'd beat any 154-168 fighter

Comment

Working...
            X