Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up and down the stairs better then running?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up and down the stairs better then running?

i was thinking,if some one goes up the stairs up and down 10 times,its 100meter up and 100 meter down,equles to about 1km,is it better then just running 1km in a stright line?
    thanks

Its a great exercise for a boxer but running is still a very important part of a boxers conditioning.

Comment

ok thanks,but is it better then runing the same distance?

Comment

I'm not really sure about comparing the merits of going up and down stairs to actual roadwork but during the Diaz - cotto fight the commentators said that Diaz doesnt do any roadwork for conditioning. He just swims and uses the stairmaster at the gym...and Diaz looked in great shape so maybe there is something to be said for it, but i suppose you have to take into account that he wasnt just using the stairmaster only, but swimming as well which is an excellent anaerobic exercise.

I would say that just going up and down stairs has gotta be boring as hell though. At least with the roadwork the scenery changes and hills vary the intensity.

Comment

i prefer going up and down the stairs.
          i think the stair master at the gym is not as effective as really going up and down the stairs,what do you think?

Comment

To be honest I havent really tried just going up and down the stairs because I think I'd probably get bored after about five minutes. At my gym at least I can watch tv or admire ladies in lycra while I'm there, but I rarely use cardiovascular equipment at the gym. I go running for that and just use the gym for weights.

You might be right about the stairmaster compared to real stairs though, occassionally I use the stairmaster just for the fitness test. I put it on almost the highest setting but still dont get anywhere near my maximum heart rate...I would imagine real stairs is a harder workout.

Comment

i did like 2km on real stairs and let me tell you,when i finshed i was ****ed up,its 10 times harder then running,my heart rate was off the roof.

Comment

Yeah you aren't going to get bored running stairs. Exhausted yeah, but not bored. Still I'd do some traditional roadwork on top of that if I were you. Think of the stairs as wind sprint type stuff. An important supplement, but not a replacement, for running and jogging.

Comment

ok thanks
                  well im going to the boxing gym will be back in like 2 hours

Comment

Originally posted by spinal
                    I'm not really sure about comparing the merits of going up and down stairs to actual roadwork but during the Diaz - cotto fight the commentators said that Diaz doesnt do any roadwork for conditioning. He just swims and uses the stairmaster at the gym...and Diaz looked in great shape so maybe there is something to be said for it, but i suppose you have to take into account that he wasnt just using the stairmaster only, but swimming as well which is an excellent anaerobic exercise.

I would say that just going up and down stairs has gotta be boring as hell though. At least with the roadwork the scenery changes and hills vary the intensity.
                    How is swimming anaerobic exercise??

Comment

Working...
                    X