Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson boxing's biggest upset ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacquiao vs De La Hoya was a huge upset in it's time

Comment

Originally posted by llamas1 View Post
      I watched all Tyson's fights. But that night I had a party and was getting tired of all the 1st round KO's.....

I couldn't believe when I heard the outcome.
      I was 13. Me and my Maw were Tyson fans since the begining. That fight had a funny air about it, and I remember tellin my Maw, that somethin aint right. I thought the fight was gonna be over and that I was trippin in the 8th when Mike KD Buster(I still to this day believe the ref gave a long count, Buster aint beat that count shoulda been a KO for Mike ). I'll never forget we were yellin at the TV(Like he coulda heard us)for Mike to forget about the mouthpeice and just get up. Mike(to me atleast)was the last world's baddest man.

Comment

There have been big upsets in Boxing, but that upset shook the Sports world by far.

NOBODY saw Tyson losing, period...let alone Douglas (a 40-1 underdog) beating Tyson, by KO nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
          I was 13. Me and my Maw were Tyson fans since the begining. That fight had a funny air about it, and I remember tellin my Maw, that somethin aint right. I thought the fight was gonna be over and that I was trippin in the 8th when Mike KD Buster(I still to this day believe the ref gave a long count, Buster aint beat that count shoulda been a KO for Mike ). I'll never forget we were yellin at the TV(Like he coulda heard us)for Mike to forget about the mouthpeice and just get up. Mike(to me atleast)was the last world's baddest man.
          That long count is NOT Douglas' FAULT. He went by what the referee's count was. If the count was quicker..he would've got up quicker. The way Don KING TRIED to spin things when Mike was getting his a$$ handed to him on a platter was borderline criminal. Mike did show heart that night coming up with that punch & if that would've been ruled a KO it would've covered up everything that was wrong with him. People would've bought the fact that Mike could show up at 50% & still KTFO any time he wanted to. Buster was the better fighter that night & justice prevailed as he earned the knockout of Tyson & was the better man that night... end of story!

Comment

Schmeling - Louis I is probably the biggest upset considering all the events at the time.

A huge upset which isn't mentioned much is Honeyghan - Curry as well, maybe not on the Tyson Douglas level but thought It'd be worth a mention .

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
              (I still to this day believe the ref gave a long count, Buster aint beat that count shoulda been a KO for Mike ).
              I always thought that was just a myth that King spread around, Buster would have gotten up anyway, he was waiting for 8.

Comment

Buster Douglas will forever be known as the guy who showed to the world that no one man is invincible. You can never take that away from him as for one night he showed the biggest heart in boxing doing what no man had done before him & that is knocking "tHe SO CALLED BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET" spark the **** out.

Comment

Originally posted by FootWork777 View Post
                  Douglas was what, about a 40-1 underdog lol.
                  In my opinion,yes.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    I always thought that was just a myth that King spread around, Buster would have gotten up anyway, he was waiting for 8.

Buster was making sure he took as much time as the count allowed...he was ready as soon as he got up & the bell rang..we don't know what would've happened had there been a minute left in the rd..Mike was NOT fresh so going in for the kill was not a given & the heart that Douglas displayed all night..you can almost rest assure he was going nowhere. He was upset for getting caught..pounded his glove on the mat & then proceeded to knock Mike Tyson out in the next 5 minutes.

Comment

Douglas didn't just get lucky either. He handed out one of the worst beat downs I've seen and wore down Tyson. The fight said more about Tyson than Douglas. I never believed a guy at 5'10" was not going to come a cropper at some point.

Comment

Working...
                      X