No announcement yet.

How HBO Lost Manny Pacquiao Thomas hauser article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy crap.

commercials for the fight on the network during the ncaa tournament and other cbs sports programming.

they'll interview the fighters and undercard fighters on cbs shows.

they're gonna hold the cbs morning show in vegas fight week.

they'll show a 24/7 type pre-fight show on primetime on network tv.

how the hell did arum get that?

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      holy crap.

commercials for the fight on the network during the ncaa tournament and other cbs sports programming.

they'll interview the fighters and undercard fighters on cbs shows.

they're gonna hold the cbs morning show in vegas fight week.

they'll show a 24/7 type pre-fight show on primetime on network tv.

how the hell did arum get that?
      Of course they would put commercial on during March Madness that is CBS only major sporting event that isn't golf during the build up (although the Master's is pretty big also).

The real problem with CBS is after the Masters they have like zero sports on the network, prime time is good because that is a wide net but it is easier to sell the idea of buying a fight to a sport fan rather than just an average person watching a sitcom or drama. The most important part of the build up is the month before and CBS really doesn't offer a lot at least in terms of sports.

Comment

As I have been saying all along, this shift to showtime is going to be good for the sport in the long run. The competition between the networks will be fierce and it will benefit the viewers and boxing.

I see some resignations at HBO... maybe they will try to mask it with transfers or early retirements. HBO needs new young execs with creativity and business flair.

They tried to hijack the role of the promoters and got burned for it... not surprisingly because it isn't their core competence.

Comment

Hauser always owns HBO with impunity. This is one of his many great articles about how they've destroyed themselves along with the sport.

I like the part where he points out what a desperate fight Bradley/Alexander is for HBO.

In the past that fight is a Boxing after dark match, but because HBO is so pathetic they have it hyped as a "superfight" on WCB...

Between two glorified prospects that nobody knows.

Arum just destroyed Hbo.

Comment

interesting read

should Floyd sprout a testicle or quickly run out of money, Showtime could now be involved in what would be a bidding war for that mega-fight...HBO lost that exclusivity leverage

also, Cotto-Margarito 2 could become a Showtime ppv

Comment

I couldn't stop reading the entire article. The author really made Ross and Kerry to look like a pair of dummies. But these two fools deserve to be called out for the foul **** they did like not going to Arum's sons funeral and completely forgetting about dudes like Pavlik.

Alexander-Bradley = Superfight LMAO. HBO can still recover but they better get their house in order quick.

Comment

I do agree that HBO is investing way too much in Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander even though they are talented. They should've forced Alexander to give Kotelnik a rematch because nobody wants to go to St Louis to fight him now after that gift he got. And without St. Louis Devon Alexander a nobody where drawing a crowd is concerned. And in the mean time, they should've had Bradley fight somebody like Lucas Matthyse or Zab Judah (Especially Judah because he has name value) as a stay busy fight since Khan was tied up with Maidana. Then the winner of those two fights should've met each other which probably would've been Khan (No doubt on that one even though he should eventually rematch Maidana) and Bradley.

In actuality, that's the better and more meaningful fight than Bradley-Alexander because fans can't identify who the real champ is with trinkets. But Khan probably would've ducked Bradley so I'm likely wasting my breath here.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post
                  I do agree that HBO is investing way too much in Timothy Bradley and Devon Alexander even though they are talented. They should've forced Alexander to give Kotelnik a rematch because nobody wants to go to St Louis to fight him now after that gift he got. And without St. Louis Devon Alexander a nobody where drawing a crowd is concerned. And in the mean time, they should've had Bradley fight somebody like Lucas Matthyse or Zab Judah (Especially Judah because he has name value) as a stay busy fight since Khan was tied up with Maidana. Then the winner of those two fights should've met each other which probably would've been Khan (No doubt on that one even though he should eventually rematch Maidana) and Bradley.

In actuality, that's the better and more meaningful fight than Bradley-Alexander because fans can't identify who the real champ is with trinkets. But Khan probably would've ducked Bradley so I'm likely wasting my breath here.
                  You say this now, but when Alexander was calling Bradley out, you were *****ing Bradley was ducking.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                    You say this now, but when Alexander was calling Bradley out, you were *****ing Bradley was ducking.
                    I admit that, you are right. But this fight lost a lot of luster because of the way Kotelnik got ripped off against Alexander. So on instinct, Timothy Bradley wasn't gonna fight Alexander without neutral grounds so now they are putting the fight in a place where it will only sell 200 tickets. But both guys are getting paid a lot of money by HBO anyway despite this fight not being as big as it was so it isn't Alexander or Bradley's loss. It's the networks.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post

nah, bradley/alexander is the right fight to make, although I would've liked an alexander/kotelnik rematch. its just that this fight isn't a super fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X