Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Brook's Coach on Spence: They Also Said Lacy Was Next Big Thing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
    For about two years, all the fat Yanks went on about was how Jeff Lacy was the latest reincarnation of a prime Mike Tyson. How Joe Calzaghe was scared, ducking, going to get absolutely destroyed, beat into retirement etc etc. The Yanks can't just hype their fighter. They have to disrespect and try to trash all the established boxers and genuine champions. Yea, Calzaghe was sort of alright... but he slaps a lot and is unorthodox... nothing compared to Lacy absolutely demolishing Syd Vanderpool and Scott Pemberton. Everywhere the fat Yanks were spewing this classless vitriol. Boxing forums, boxing websites, all of your boxing analysts, writers, pundits, "experts".

And the worst part? After Joe Calzaghe gave them all a sweet dose of reality. They all just turned their backs on Jeff Lacy and moved onto the next hypejob. Like it never happened and they didn't spend years blowing smoke up this boxer's ass. The majority of Americans now even claim they knew all along Lacy was a fraud. Funny because at the time 100% of them were behind him.
    This is a good summing up. They did the same to Michael Grant too. When Lewis crushed him he was an embarrassing amateur. When he was coming up he was the next big thing.

Comment

I recall Lacy having quite a bit of fans at ESPN board at the time. I made sure to watch Calzaghe since the first Veit fight, and followed Lacys career as well. All on Showtime.
      The first time I saw limitations in Lacy was when he fought Ross Thompson and he couldn't take him out. Lacy fought another undefeated in Tsypko on HBO and didn't win or look good. When he failed to take out Omar Sheika i felt it was a matter of time before he lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
        For about two years, all the fat Yanks went on about was how Jeff Lacy was the latest reincarnation of a prime Mike Tyson. How Joe Calzaghe was scared, ducking, going to get absolutely destroyed, beat into retirement etc etc. The Yanks can't just hype their fighter. They have to disrespect and try to trash all the established boxers and genuine champions. Yea, Calzaghe was sort of alright... but he slaps a lot and is unorthodox... nothing compared to Lacy absolutely demolishing Syd Vanderpool and Scott Pemberton. Everywhere the fat Yanks were spewing this classless vitriol. Boxing forums, boxing websites, all of your boxing analysts, writers, pundits, "experts".

And the worst part? After Joe Calzaghe gave them all a sweet dose of reality. They all just turned their backs on Jeff Lacy and moved onto the next hypejob. Like it never happened and they didn't spend years blowing smoke up this boxer's ass. The majority of Americans now even claim they knew all along Lacy was a fraud. Funny because at the time 100% of them were behind him.
        obviously not 100%, but i know what you are saying. i think you are exaggerating a bit, that said nothing you are writing isnt true. but it also isnt relevant.

like you say, they move on to the next guy. thats boxing. promoters sell their product, no matter how good a fighter really is they are going to try to make him look better. sometimes ppl get conned, fans and analysts alike.

when the con gets found out, they move on. again, thats boxing. i dont see in what regard lacys hype is relevant now. boxing hasnt changed as far as hype goes and lacy got found out. so why are you beating a dead horse? the jeff lacy hype saga is one dead ****ing horse. that mother****er is decomposed, you are beating the god damn ground by now. move on.

if your point is that hype still exists, you are not telling anyone something they dont already know. if you are trying to give joe credit for beating a bad fighter with a good reputation, we know the truth about lacy so that **** wont fly. to my previous point, we all know hype exists. what ppl thought or said doesnt make the win better, reality is what it is. or was, rather.. again, one dead ****ing horse..

Comment

Quote:
          Originally Posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
          Haven't read all the comments (yet) but really, is there no one who will say congrats to Brook for stepping up? You know, ONE of the several ones of you who dogged Brook forever it seems for supposedly being chicken to fight Spence.

And no, this isn't about comparing Lacy to Spence. And it's ridiculous so many of you saying that. It's about a hot U.S. based prospect coming to the UK, with all the hype on him, and Brook supposedly being easy to beat. Basically, the same scenario as with Lacy/Calzaghe.

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
          So you want people to give Brook props for fighting his mandatory? Which is the only thing he has done anyway since he became welterweight champ. I'll give him as much props for taking this fight as I did for him taking on his other mandatories
          I'm just giving my opinion on how I don't think he's given enough respect. But I guess you've been in the ring with the most avoided in your division and have done well. Good for you. I happen to respect boxers whom I think have had some good accomplishments. If you want to talk the duckers, talk Floydie or Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
            Haven't read all the comments (yet) but really, is there no one who will say congrats to Brook for stepping up? You know, ONE of the several ones of you who dogged Brook forever it seems for supposedly being chicken to fight Spence.

And no, this isn't about comparing Lacy to Spence. And it's ridiculous so many of you saying that. It's about a hot U.S. based prospect coming to the UK, with all the hype on him, and Brook supposedly being easy to beat. Basically, the same scenario as with Lacy/Calzaghe.

I'm just giving my opinion on how I don't think he's given enough respect. But I guess you've been in the ring with the most avoided in your division and have done well. Good for you. I happen to respect boxers whom I think have had some good accomplishments. If you want to talk the duckers, talk Floydie or Wilder.
            Nobody mentioned anything about ducking. The guy has fought nothing but mandatories at welterweight since he got his strap. Is that a lie? And now we are supposed to be all impressed since he decided to fight another mandatory? A shame this is what boxing has become. We are in such a punk era that when fighters actually fight someone good (which is what they are supposed to do by the way) we heap crazy praise on them. Well, thanks Kell Brook for fighting yet another mandatory. I guess we are just fortunate that people actually know who this one is, and he actually has some skills
            Last edited by Rip Chudd; 02-19-2017, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X