Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ask Skills Anything Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a peekaboo style guard the most, but am a rangy, taller outside boxer, 6 '1, 74.5 inch reach (I still like to work the body and throw hooks and uppercuts though)

Should I switch guards?
    Last edited by VicariousVice; 10-01-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Skills,

What's your take on the usefulness of intermittent fasting for fighters?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
        It takes "x" amount of calories to weigh a certain weight. Let's say 2000 calories per day for you to maintain 175 lbs. If you cut down to 1500 calories per day you will lose lets say 15 lbs over the course of a given amount of time. The new caloric needs for you to maintain 160 lbs would be 1500. Taking in extra calories (being in a caloric surplus) would cause you to gain weight. Thus, going back to eating 2000 calories per day would cause you to eventually be at the same weight you were provided you introduce no new exercise or method of burning off the extra calories.

These are all just random numbers, I have no idea what your caloric requirements are but this is the general idea.

I always read that if you cut down on calories, say from 2000 to 1500, your body starts to hang on to those calories even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          I am a NASM certified personal trainer for 6 years, who finished his Bachelor's in Kinesiology and I am obtaining my Doctorate in Physical Therapy (with a side hustle of Sports nutrition). "I love fitnessssss, fitnesss is my lifeeeeeeeeee."

Ask away and I shall answer as best as I can. And if I don't know....fu\uck I'll say so lol.
          I'm older now, but in my late 20's I used to lift regularly.
          Inclining 275 for 6 to 8. Flat 315 10 -12 times.
          Used to train back & bi cep on one day, chesty & tri, skip a day and blow my legs out.

As I got older I moved away from the weights, now I just do pull ups, push-ups & dips.

I'm about 6 ft 2 in now 210lbs. Not sure of my percent body fat,not worried about it.

I'm 50, but I look good for my age.

My question is this.

What types of exercises do you recommend for an older dude to maintain strength, and flexibility.

When I was deep into training,I've tried the Atkins diet, but got too lean too quick.

I'm not trying to get big, just wanna stay strong, produce T3 naturally, & growth hormone.

What exercises & died should an olde man like me be on.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            I always read that if you cut down on calories, say from 2000 to 1500, your body starts to hang on to those calories even harder.
            I honestly don't know about any of that. All ik is if you go back to eating the same amount of calories as before then you will put the weight back on generally.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
              I'm older now, but in my late 20's I used to lift regularly.
              Inclining 275 for 6 to 8. Flat 315 10 -12 times.
              Used to train back & bi cep on one day, chesty & tri, skip a day and blow my legs out.

As I got older I moved away from the weights, now I just do pull ups, push-ups & dips.

I'm about 6 ft 2 in now 210lbs. Not sure of my percent body fat,not worried about it.

I'm 50, but I look good for my age.

My question is this.

What types of exercises do you recommend for an older dude to maintain strength, and flexibility.

When I was deep into training,I've tried the Atkins diet, but got too lean too quick.

I'm not trying to get big, just wanna stay strong, produce T3 naturally, & growth hormone.

What exercises & died should an olde man like me be on.
              Just do what youve always done just with less weight and for more reps. Thats easier to maintain and theres less risk of injury. Just make sure you do full range of motion with good technique to maintain your flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                Just do what youve always done just with less weight and for more reps. Thats easier to maintain and theres less risk of injury. Just make sure you do full range of motion with good technique to maintain your flexibility.
                Thanks buddy.

Comment

I like this thread, no *****ing about who can lift the most

Comment

When is skills going to answer any of the questions?

Comment

Did SkillspayBills abandon his own thread?

Comment

Working...
                      X