Jake LaMotta A brief deconstruction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake LaMotta A brief deconstruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3UOexMhUoM

The funny thing about laMotta is that despite his reputation, his form is impeccable. I took a video of a later fight of his for your viewing pleasure.

1) Classic false line. LaMotta's head never rests over his shoulders, it is always off to the back shoulder creating the illusion that its an open target. Fighters did this going all the way back to the old timers. With LaMotta his front shoulder protects his chin and his head rests towards the back shoulder...if the guy wants to hit him he has to come into laMotta and get past that front shoulder as well. All LaMotta has to do is shift weight to the back leg to avoid.

2) laMotta is always transferring weight. he never has his weight totally squared. To generate more power and to create distortion LaMotta can choose when punching, to either transfer his weight, or not.

What is interesting about LaMotta is that he swings his punches from his waist with his elbows often extended....not conventional form, but this allows him to punch around the opponent and to flurry. Why? For the same reason mexican styled fighters like to lead with the hook: circular punches are harder to block...one has to judge their distance, the punch can work around a guard, and the punch can land in any position on a semicircle. A straight punch can be slipped, deflected, or blocked. Circular punches are not better, but they are a different way.

3) laMotta has very strong waist and shoulder movement. he operates from a crouch and slips punches with the shoulders as he sets up for the hook. he does not wait for the punch to land before starting to move...it often looks like he is getting caught flush with a jab when in fact his head is moving, shifting, because he is constantly shifting to and from the back foot and shifting his shoulders to set up for the punch.

Truly to LaMotta the best defense is his offense.

4) LaMotta does something which one can see Dempsey did, Tyson do as well, he pivots and sets up for his attack outside to keep his man always in range. You will often see him take a step to a position to continue to apply pressure...he did this against carpentier for example.

These are some things LaMotta did well. his shoulder and waist movements were fantastic and he used distance deceptions with a false line. his form, with his chin tucked and guard is actually textbook perfect.

Comments? I chose a typical fight for Lamotta to comment on, there are many to look at.

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

The funny thing about laMotta is that despite his reputation, his form is impeccable. I took a video of a later fight of his for your viewing pleasure.

1) Classic false line. LaMotta's head never rests over his shoulders, it is always off to the back shoulder creating the illusion that its an open target. Fighters did this going all the way back to the old timers. With LaMotta his front shoulder protects his chin and his head rests towards the back shoulder...if the guy wants to hit him he has to come into laMotta and get past that front shoulder as well. All LaMotta has to do is shift weight to the back leg to avoid.

2) laMotta is always transferring weight. he never has his weight totally squared. To generate more power and to create distortion LaMotta can choose when punching, to either transfer his weight, or not.

What is interesting about LaMotta is that he swings his punches from his waist with his elbows often extended....not conventional form, but this allows him to punch around the opponent and to flurry. Why? For the same reason mexican styled fighters like to lead with the hook: circular punches are harder to block...one has to judge their distance, the punch can work around a guard, and the punch can land in any position on a semicircle. A straight punch can be slipped, deflected, or blocked. Circular punches are not better, but they are a different way.

3) laMotta has very strong waist and shoulder movement. he operates from a crouch and slips punches with the shoulders as he sets up for the hook. he does not wait for the punch to land before starting to move...it often looks like he is getting caught flush with a jab when in fact his head is moving, shifting, because he is constantly shifting to and from the back foot and shifting his shoulders to set up for the punch.

4) LaMotta does something which one can see Dempsey did, Tyson do as well, he pivots and sets up for his attack outside to keep his man always in range. You will often see him take a step to a position to continue to apply pressure...he did this against carpentier for example.

These are some things LaMotta did well. his shoulder and waist movements were fantastic and he used distance deceptions with a false line. his form, with his chin tucked and guard is actually textbook perfect.

Comments? I chose a typical fight for Lamotta to comment on, there are many to look at.

Jake imposed his will, and powerful shots to stop many opponents. If SRR wasn't around...

Comment

LaMotta is the ideal research on how to become a contender & champion when giving away height, reach and power!
      I think of Marciano, Frazier to Tyson as extentions of LaMotta's style even though those heavies brought power you still have to press to get close enough to land.
      LaMotta checked distance on both sides of his opponents and had a game plan after a few rounds of moving in, around and watching his opponent react to punches thrown out and around and up the middle. You don't think of LaMotta throwing triple hooks but he did it all the time and his arm slot and pronation was spot on! When your void of huge power you need a two handed attack and Jake threw all angles with both hands and slipped shots by the slightest margins to be able to return shots quickly.
      He was rarely hit solidly and at the tender age of 90 married a 64 year old woman!!!! Thats no BULL! Jake is 94 years young, a serious life to study.
      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        LaMotta is the ideal research on how to become a contender & champion when giving away height, reach and power!
        I think of Marciano, Frazier to Tyson as extentions of LaMotta's style even though those heavies brought power you still have to press to get close enough to land.
        LaMotta checked distance on both sides of his opponents and had a game plan after a few rounds of moving in, around and watching his opponent react to punches thrown out and around and up the middle. You don't think of LaMotta throwing triple hooks but he did it all the time and his arm slot and pronation was spot on! When your void of huge power you need a two handed attack and Jake threw all angles with both hands and slipped shots by the slightest margins to be able to return shots quickly.
        He was rarely hit solidly and at the tender age of 90 married a 64 year old woman!!!! Thats no BULL! Jake is 94 years young, a serious life to study.
        Ray.
        But someone just yesterday said here that LaMotta was a punching bag!

Comment

Really are you sure it was "someone" instead of "No One"!
          think about it........

Ray

Comment

Ray.
            You know something funny....Adrien bronner has LaMotta's build! Big head, very strong shoulders and neck. But LaMotta despite being bigger by a good margin could throw punches all day unlike Bronner...so much for Elroy's evolutionary schedule lol.

I love to watch LaMotta. This fight I linked is nice as the guy he is fighting really looked game!

Comment

"This fight I linked is nice as the guy he is fighting really looked game"!

The name caught my attention so I looked him up and he was a very good boxer with a strange record. Jake LaMotta twice/split...desc Jake in Boston (hometown) by 1 pt 3 ways
              Paul Pender twice/split...Pender comes back to stop him.
              Bobo Olson twice/unn. decs both times in 10rds
              Laurent Dauthuille lost to Laurent in 10rds
              In his 5th fight he fought tough trial man Saint Paul at that time his record was 42w 28l 2d.

He did ok but as he progressed he didn't show any power and that doesn't work out in most cases. He was 24w 17l 1d only 7 ko wins but was only stopped once! Tough game!

Ray

Comment

"This fight I linked is nice as the guy he is fighting really looked game"!

The name caught my attention so I looked him up and he was a very good boxer with a strange record. Jake LaMotta twice/split...desc Jake in Boston (hometown) by 1 pt 3 ways
                Paul Pender twice/split...Pender comes back to stop him.
                Bobo Olson twice/unn. decs both times in 10rds
                Laurent Dauthuille lost to Laurent in 10rds
                In his 5th fight he fought tough trial man Saint Paul at that time his record was 42w 28l 2d.

He did ok but as he progressed he didn't show any power and that doesn't work out in most cases. He was 24w 17l 1d only 7 ko wins but was only stopped once! Tough game!

Ray
                Somebody ought to show him to Elroy....the guy threw more punches, along with laMotta than any 3 fighters usually do these days in a fight of ten rounds. but according to junior boxers changed dramatically due to conditioning coaches!!

Comment

The "kids" don't understand that fighters fight to eat, pay their rent and car payments too. Not everyone is on the level of a million+ per fight.
                  When Sugarman earned 25 grand back then it was good money but he had bills to pay and most fighters have a really tough time saving money. Their time feels short and they want to have a good time in between fights.
                  I had to coral more than a few and they weren't even my guys. Half the time your a baby sitter! hahaha........

I can honestly say I never disliked any fighter I ever met! Most were soft spoken and humble outside training and the ring. Made no difference if they were top tier talents or trial horses looking to get by, all nice people!
                  Ray

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Brilliant analysis, counters many claims that he was a meathead with no method to his madness. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X