Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of an advantage would a boxer have in muay thai?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
    I have trouble believing the skills would be useless in MT

So the fact that boxers are generally faster and more accurate with their punches would mean nothing?
    They wouldn't be useless.

There are transferable skills but there needs to be a period of adjustment to put down those neural pathways that are generally termed 'muscle memory'. If you don't first adjust your technique with repeated purposeful practice then it's likely that you'll uncounsciously revert to your former skill set and that can be detrimental.

Boxing's more fluid and that fluidity and speed (both of hand and foot) comes from the stance which also aids punching accuracy. It also comes from the relative freedom of only having to defend yourself against 'two limbs'.

The issue though is that whilst some of the components are transferable the stance itself isn't. It isn't effective enough to deal with an opponent using 'eight limbs'. The fluidity that it conferred in a boxing ring transfers to vulnerability when it's in a Muay Thai ring.

But both are bodily crafts that involve learning complex sets of movements often by breaking a larger movement down, learning the individual components and then reforming them back into a whole. If you've done that it one discipline then it gives you the grounding to do it in another. You already know how to learn and what it involves.

As far as boxing someone trained in Muay Thai? I've done it (I've trained in both amongst forays into other disciplines) and you can get away with it in bursts if you know your opponent and they tend to shell up when faced with a volume of punches at speed. Anyone with composure though will soon make you revert to a more square on stance.

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by redd foxx
      equal? Hell no. This isn't streetfighterii. How would a boxer know how to deal with kicks, knees, the plum? Is a runner going to win a triathlon if he never rode a bike and can't swim?

Now, if a guy gets 5 years of boxing and then goes into muay thai, and fights guys of equal experience in mt, then obviously he has advantages from having trained in a combat sport longer.

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      this guy is an idiot, it won rammon dekkers the first ever title held by a foreneir, and all thais have learnt alot of western boxing and a counter western boxing game, because its so effective

in kickboxing (karate) in the early days boxing was so much more effective than karate that they forced it in teh rules for ppl to throw a kick

muay thai alone vs boxing alone and muay thai wins tho

Now now ladies, you both get points as you are both right. Its hard to get rid of boxing muscle memory. I did boxing, then kick boxing and back to boxing and my trainers hated me. They wished they could've taught me from scratch without the bad habits.

Muay thai is front on so then it takes less time for rear kicks, rear checks, rear push kicks etc and the punches aren't as powerful as there isnt as much shoulder movement / weight transfer when punching in muay thai for several reasons.
      In saying this, old mate is right - Ramon 'diamond' dekkers (RIP) changed muay thai and made the thais respect boxing. Before he came along they barely threw punches and even today you get bugger all points for landing punches. Points didn't matter for dekkers as he was knocking them out with his powerful boxing skills. Anyone who doesn't know the late ramon dekkers - please youtube him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rock&Roll;16533834Now now ladies, you both get points as you are both right. Its hard to get rid of boxing muscle memory. I did boxing, then kick boxing and back to boxing and my trainers hated me. They wished they could've taught me from scratch without the bad habits.

Muay thai is front on so then it takes less time for rear kicks, rear checks, rear push kicks etc and the punches aren't as powerful as there isnt as much shoulder movement / weight transfer when punching in muay thai for several reasons.
        In saying this, old mate is right - Ramon 'diamond' dekkers (RIP) changed muay thai and made the thais respect boxing. Before he came along they barely threw punches and even today you get bugger all points for landing punches. Points didn't matter for dekkers as he was knocking them out with his powerful boxing skills. Anyone who doesn't know the late ramon dekkers - please youtube him.[/QUOTE]

Green K to you and Alexkid for the Ramon Dekkers mentions, I've never heard of him before but I've been checking his fights and he was dope

Comment

I did muay thai, I can tell you the muay thai would just elbow you, they will kick your leg to oblivion, the muay thai fighter will win.

Comment

I can't remember where I read it but Virgil Hunter had a potential strategy for how a boxer could fight a muay thai practitioner. Basically the idea was to crowd the muay thai guy and stay in close in order to smother the kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
              Let's say you had someone who's boxed for years and put him into muay thai. Assuming he has solid technique/foundations, would you expect him to do just as good if not better than other muay thai practitioners if you gave him enough time to learn?
              The only advantage he would have would be punching power and punching volume, as Thai boxers dont punch as often as boxers. The main, crippling disadvantage the boxer would have is head movement, as slipping and ducking will get you knocked out in Thai boxing. You weave your gonna get kneed in the face, or worse kicked in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMayhem View Post
                The only advantage he would have would be punching power and punching volume, as Thai boxers dont punch as often as boxers. The main, crippling disadvantage the boxer would have is head movement, as slipping and ducking will get you knocked out in Thai boxing. You weave your gonna get kneed in the face, or worse kicked in the mouth.
                That's a good point, I know a boxer who did muay thai who weaved right into a knee and broke their nose

Comment

Working...
                X