• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rahman is a 2X world champion so...

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
      Buster Douglas.

Tyson was viewed as unbeatable at the time. Everyone knew Joshua and Lewis can lose at any moment by getting hit with one shot.
      I remember the night Douglas beat Tyson. It was shocking. 39-1 odds don’t come along every day. People still talk about it. Boxing was a bigger sport in the US back then, and Tyson was a real star. If I recall correctly, Douglas got his own video game after that. Neither Rahman nor Ruiz got nearly the same level of attention. Not even close.

Comment

For sure Douglas and he made the most money from a single fight.

Skill wise, Douglas had it all... his work ethic and inconsistency hurt him but he had the tools. I dont put guys like Rahman and Ruiz on the same level as Douglas.

Comment

Douglas. Douglas and Rahman got huge wins but were brutally stopped afterwards and went downhill. Still, I wouldn't say any of those guys had just 15 minutes of fame as they all had great careers but I'll indulge here. Ruiz got a huge win, blew up and didn't take his rematch serious and was just outboxed but hardly even stunned or hurt.

Honestly, Ruiz isn't done at all if he actually get his shiiit together and gives it another go. He could build up to a AJ trilogy, Wilder/Fury fight, or even some good fights against Whyte, Usyk, ect. This is of course due to the heavyweight division being top heavy and not having depth, but Ruiz is still a contender if he wants to.
          Last edited by _original_; 12-08-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Douglas has the best wins and was overall the best of the 3. He fell down hard though.

Rahman probably stayed relevant the longest and its not like he ever turned into a lard ass, he just a guy who wasnt elite but had a big punch.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              That's exactly why he's top of the list. You said "HERO" to zero.

Remember, Spinks was at the top of the game when he got blown out by Tyson, then tucked tail and quit the business, went into hiding for over a decade.

This doesn't take away what he accomplished. One of my favorite fighters. But you asked, who went to ZERO after being a HERO?

Douglas would go on to fight and win some.

Rahman went on to fight and win some.

McCall - I still say that was mob related and not really him on that one, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that he would go on to fight and win some.

So by my definition those are not "zeroes". I can't even Naseem Hamed a "zero" by that definition because he won one more fight after losing.

Michael Spinks was at the top, lost, disappeared. That's a hero to zero if I ever saw one.

You do realize he was a champion for 7 years?

He didn't disappear - he retired.
              His knees was totally shot.

Oh and he did also win Olympic gold....

Comment

Ruiz story isnt over yet,,,,, I say before it all said and done he racks out another 10 million out the sport, and possibly gets his hands on the title again unless wilder manages to get them before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandur View Post
                  You do realize he was a champion for 7 years?

He didn't disappear - he retired.
                  His knees was totally shot.

Oh and he did also win Olympic gold....
                  Bold is not why he disappeared. He disappeared because he was embarrassed. His own words in 1996 when he resurfaced.

Comment

Buster all day. Might be sports biggest under dog to win something significant. Beating Tyson at that point was as big as it got.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                      That's exactly why he's top of the list. You said "HERO" to zero.

Remember, Spinks was at the top of the game when he got blown out by Tyson, then tucked tail and quit the business, went into hiding for over a decade.

This doesn't take away what he accomplished. One of my favorite fighters. But you asked, who went to ZERO after being a HERO?

Douglas would go on to fight and win some.

Rahman went on to fight and win some.

McCall - I still say that was mob related and not really him on that one, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that he would go on to fight and win some.

So by my definition those are not "zeroes". I can't even Naseem Hamed a "zero" by that definition because he won one more fight after losing.

Michael Spinks was at the top, lost, disappeared. That's a hero to zero if I ever saw one.
                      Using your logic, Hagler is a better answer than Spinks.

He basically ‘tucked tail and quit the business, went into hiding for over a decade’ by moving to Italy and doing movies.
                      Last edited by Sweet Jones; 12-09-2019, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X