Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kell Brook a serious contender/prospect at WW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    Well, before the Carson Jones fight he was getting mad hype but people talk about him now like he's a bum

I think it's somewhere in between, he's decent but not elite
    This. And I've always thought this about him.

Comment

Ok, watching some of Saldivia's fights. He has the infamous Argentinean power, pretty explosive and has a good offensive repertoire to complement his power. He's also a pretty solid/compact WW, probably giving up a 1-2 inches in height/reach. Money punches seem to be the right uppercut and the right hook to the body. He knows how to maintain distance, knows how to slip and avoid shots, decent hand-speed. Doesn't mind taking a step back to reset his position, take his foot off the gas so he can recuperate. Pretty agile for an in-fighting brawler. His killer instinct is a double edged sword, can get very reckless and totally abandons his defense. He also doesn't utilize a jab enough.

So, Brook should be able to outbox him, but Saldivia is fast enough to catch and hurt him. The championship rounds will be very interesting. I still pick Saldivia by late stoppage.
      Last edited by kiaba360; 10-20-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        Ok, watching some of Saldivia's fights. He has the infamous Argentinean power, pretty explosive and has a good offensive repertoire to complement his power. He's also a pretty solid/compact WW, probably giving up a 1-2 inches in height/reach. Money punches seem to be the right uppercut and the right hook to the body. He knows how to maintain distance, knows how to slip and avoid shots, decent hand-speed. Doesn't mind taking a step back to reset his position, take his foot off the gas so he can recuperate. Pretty agile for an in-fighting brawler. His killer instinct is a double edged sword, can get very reckless and totally abandons his defense. He also doesn't utilize a jab enough.

So, Brook should be able to outbox him, but Saldivia is fast enough to catch and hurt him. The championship rounds will be very interesting. I still pick Saldivia by late stoppage.
        Saldivia seems chinny though. Jones would have lost early without his iron chin. Besides Jones is much better than his record, and would be trouble for half the welter top ten.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
          Saldivia seems chinny though. Jones would have lost early without his iron chin. Besides Jones is much better than his record, and would be trouble for half the welter top ten.
          His killer instinct got him stopped against Quali, shit happens. But that was over 2 years ago, and it's a mistake that can be corrected in training.

Saldivia doesn't look like the type to put on the ear muffs and just let the opponent bang away, he's gonna look for openings and try to create them too. He'll be looking to time/counter the faster fighter. Could that get him hurt? Yeah, but it still seems like a better idea than just waiting and giving away rounds. I expect Saldivia to employ a better game-plan than Jones did. Jones was a bit too passive in the first half and it's the reason why he lost the fight.

Comment

B+ fighter at best.

Comment

I have every faith in him, sure he had a bad night against jones, but that may well turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to him. Definitely good enough to win a world title at some point.

Comment

I used to think he could be. Now Im not so sure. He'll be 27 soon and has fought the bottom barrel of WW's.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                  His killer instinct got him stopped against Quali, shit happens. But that was over 2 years ago, and it's a mistake that can be corrected in training.

Saldivia doesn't look like the type to put on the ear muffs and just let the opponent bang away, he's gonna look for openings and try to create them too. He'll be looking to time/counter the faster fighter. Could that get him hurt? Yeah, but it still seems like a better idea than just waiting and giving away rounds. I expect Saldivia to employ a better game-plan than Jones did. Jones was a bit too passive in the first half and it's the reason why he lost the fight.
                  It wasn't being passive in the first half that was Jones' problem, he was outclassed. He was getting hit on the way in, countered when he did throw and generally being beaten by a better fighter.

Jones didn't do anything at all until Brook began to gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burner View Post
                    I used to think he could be. Now Im not so sure. He'll be 27 soon and has fought the bottom barrel of WW's.
                    What does it matter how old he is? I dont understand.

His career has been a bit of a slow burner because Frank Warren didn't really promote him well. He's made a natural progression up the ranks since going to Eddie Hearn and is on the brink of a title shot. He has plenty of years left to prove people right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                      It wasn't being passive in the first half that was Jones' problem, he was outclassed. He was getting hit on the way in, countered when he did throw and generally being beaten by a better fighter.

Jones didn't do anything at all until Brook began to gas.
                      Jones was trying to box and use his reach, he was boxing the boxer. Couple that with his lack of power, and it's a recipe to get outclassed. Once he lost respect for Brook and started letting his offense go, the momentum shifted in his favor. Brook has to come with better conditioning this time around, cuz Saldivia is good on the inside and throws with conviction. Brook can't afford to fade down the stretch.

Comment

Working...
                      X