Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should tournaments be mandatory once there are 4+ different world title holders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should tournaments be mandatory once there are 4+ different world title holders?

The WBSS has been doing what the fans have been wanting to see for a while. Making an effort to get the best fighting the best and giving us an undisputed champion. Is anyone else in favor of the idea of seeing a mandatory tourney (not necessarily by WBSS), once there are 4+ champions?

I think a WBSS tournament (or some other entity) would do well for boxing to have some sorta cycle of putting the 8 best guys who are willing to fight all comers in a tournament together every 4 years like listed below.

Could spread it out longer to maybe 6 years to. Whatever works out best. But it'd be a regular & scheduled period of time when fans could expect a division to be decided for the top guys who wanted to be involved in figuring out a division for career high money.

Year 1: HW, 160, 135, 118
    Year 2: 200, 154, 130, 115
    Year 3: 175, 147, 126, 112
    Year 4: 168, 140, 122, 108, 105

*obviously could arrange it anyway to make more sexy divisions more spread out & less sexy divisions combined.

Comment

The different bodies don't like things like unification tournaments. If one person holds multiple belts they make less money. hence this stupid stuff of regular/super/elevated champs to free up belts when they unify.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I think a WBSS tournament (or some other entity) would do well for boxing to have some sorta cycle of putting the 8 best guys who are willing to fight all comers in a tournament together every 4 years like listed below.

Could spread it out longer to maybe 6 years to. Whatever works out best. But it'd be a regular & scheduled period of time when fans could expect a division to be decided for the top guys who wanted to be involved in figuring out a division for career high money.

Year 1: HW, 160, 135, 118
        Year 2: 200, 154, 130, 115
        Year 3: 175, 147, 126, 112
        Year 4: 168, 140, 1f22, 108, 105

*obviously could arrange it anyway to make more sexy divisions more spread out & less sexy divisions combined.
        Homie answered so well, I got nothing to add!

Comment

Undisputed may not be a good idea, IMO. Can you imagine there being only one champion per division and him only giving a contender a shot at a world title once or maybe twice a year. With how many big names there are now it would just take fighters way too long for title shots and would cause top contenders to be inactive waiting for their opportunity

Comment

No, in my opinion. I am all for the best fighting the best but I don't care much for most tournaments. They tie up too many boxers and take too long to complete. They give too much power to whoever is running the tournament.Sometimes they put boxers in the tournament who don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning it. That's just a waste of time. The four best boxers in a weight class is enough. Then the whole tournament can be over in three fights. But who decides who the four best boxers are?

Comment

Originally posted by Dyl-G View Post
              The WBSS has been doing what the fans have been wanting to see for a while. Making an effort to get the best fighting the best and giving us an undisputed champion. Is anyone else in favor of the idea of seeing a mandatory tourney (not necessarily by WBSS), once there are 4+ champions?
              They've done excellent work.

Yeah, I think it should be mandatory. Like when there are four belts, have the champions fight each other. It's pleasing for the fans and we get to see who's really number one. We know they'll split up usually as soon as we get a unified champ but people will still know who's number one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                Homie answered so well, I got nothing to add!

I agree-gree!

Comment

These tournaments are great. It's a shame we need them because there's only need for 1 champion in any weight class anyways.

However, in the world that we live in. Tournaments are the next best thing.

The WW tournament Holyfield is doing is kind of a 2nd chance tourney, but still should be fun.

Eff Pandas idea is brilliant also. Have each weight class perform an automatic tourney every 4 years. There needs to be an exception if, for example, there is already a unified champion. In that case the champion would be exempt. Tournament contenders fight for mandatory status.

Even ranked #2-7 fighters being occupied...champion could still fight #8-10 (seeing how he's likely already beaten some/all of #2-7 since he's unified...)
                  Last edited by BO$$NELO; 05-28-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                    No, in my opinion. I am all for the best fighting the best but I don't care much for most tournaments. They tie up too many boxers and take too long to complete. They give too much power to whoever is running the tournament.Sometimes they put boxers in the tournament who don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning it. That's just a waste of time. The four best boxers in a weight class is enough. Then the whole tournament can be over in three fights. But who decides who the four best boxers are?
                    If you do it like the WBSS idk if thats true. Start to finish is less than a year. Half of the 8 are out in the first 8 weeks.

But yea I do agree you gotta put in the best 8 guys who want in & not 4 top 10 guys & 4 top 50 guys matched up with those top 10 guys.

Randomly it might not even be a bad idea to not schedule a tournament til like 8 of the top 12 or 15 guys are in it. With maybe 5 of those guys being top 10 guys or something like that. That would ensure its a quality tournament.

I think all you can do to determine who the best are is a consensus of all the rankings like Comosa-sp seems to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X