HBO turns down Alvarez and Kovalev Rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re

Originally posted by DaBeastO View Post
    yeah but kovalev was never a big draw for HBO. it's no loss for HBO they get better ratings with the superfly cards. HBO need to bring bivol on board.
    HBO is on friendly terms with Main Events, so he's already in.

Comment

DAZN or ESPN+ should pick this up.

Comment

They should pair it with Stevenson-Gvozdyk.

Comment

Originally posted by thekenneth View Post
          Alvarez vs Kovalev didn't even do that much better than Kovalev vs shabransky. I dont know if Kovalev will try to go on a new network. HBO is able to match deals if they want if another network picks it up.
          That seems stupid to me. The first fight was an exciting action packed fight and the rematch should be more of the same. Hbo shows far worse fights all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
            Alvarez could fight on any network. He's not a guy SHO has invested big time in. Has fought there multiple times, but he's not tied down there nor has the type of loyalty to SHO as other fighters do.

All of those guys would be able to enter the WBSS tournament. Plus, I don't see Jack or his team turning it down just because of SHO. Gvozdyk is the one I'm not sure about as Arum doesn't want to give any of his fighters rights up. Top Rank needs as many cards as possible, and Arum would hate to lose Gvozdyk on DAZN.
            Does Top Rank have global rights to Gvozdyk? Or does he have another promoter outside the US? Has he got a guy that could say to Arum "Nah were doing the WBSS"

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
              Does Top Rank have global rights to Gvozdyk? Or does he have another promoter outside the US? Has he got a guy that could say to Arum "Nah were doing the WBSS"
              Nope, signed to his manager Klimas and his promoter Top Rank.

Comment

Looks like everyone is giving up on Kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                  Nope, signed to his manager Klimas and his promoter Top Rank.
                  Shame, he beats Stevenson he gonna be sat on that same Island with Crawford and the 2 Ramirez'

Comment

I've been saying it for a while now

Top Rank is the broadcaster for ESPN, Showtime is basically a Haymon-affiliated shop, and HBO will throw whatever bit of money they still want to spend in boxing along with whatever money Canelo can generate on PPV into hanging on as a Golden Boy shop.

If you can't help make an event with Canelo, HBO won't bother.

Anyone else (basically the non-Golden Boy folks on HBO) better hope against hope that they bring something of value to interest Eddie Hearn for his DAZN effort, or basically face going under

Comment

I see it going to DAZN. Haymon & Showtime have avoided making the Stevenson & Alvarez fight. They have not invested in Alvarez so see him going to DAZN.

Comment

Working...
                      X