No announcement yet.

Kovalev v Alvarez “unification”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kovalev v Alvarez “unification”

Wtf is the iba lol I thought I must of heard it wrong yesterday and it was ibo at the least(although would still be a joke).... Why the hell are hbo acknowledging it as unification

Originally posted by Scary_canary View Post
    Wtf is the iba lol I thought I must of heard it wrong yesterday and it was ibo at the least(although would still be a joke).... Why the hell are hbo acknowledging it as unification
    The IBA is one step below the IBO but above the IBC and WBF.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
      The IBA is one step below the IBO but above the IBC and WBF.
      And there I thought I knew everything there was to know about boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Scary_canary View Post
        Are you sure HBO recognized it? When did an HBO commentator refer to it as a unification?

The promoter hires the ring announcer and the promoter (Main Events) is in bed with the IBA now.

Comment

The IBA has been around for a while. It was one of those titles like the NABF that were regularly fought for on Tuesday Night Fights.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
            The IBA has been around for a while. It was one of those titles like the NABF that were regularly fought for on Tuesday Night Fights.
            The NABF is a WBC continental federation. When you win the NABF title, you are the North American champion of the WBC and a highly ranked contender for the world championship.

The IBA was an unrecognized title being propped up by Top Rank during their feud with the IBF. Arum was advocating for the IBA to replace the IBF and did everything he could to try to get the IBA accepted as a fifth world title. Lots of Top Rank's big fights at the time had the IBA at stake, including both DLH-Mosley fights.

Top Rank had their own ESPN series that was a competitor of sorts to Tuesday Night Fights, so you may actually be thinking of the IBC, which did pop up from time to time on TNF.

Comment

Probably so. Thanks for the history lesson. Didn’t Ivan Robinson hold the IBA? I’m on my phone at the moment and don’t care to search

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                And there I thought I knew everything there was to know about boxing
                Currently they only have 2 champs in all the weightclasses..

154 Max Deluca & 175 Alvarez

Comment

Working...
                X