Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: As New Ballot Arrives, It's Time To Clean Out Hall Closet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: As New Ballot Arrives, It's Time To Clean Out Hall Closet

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - This is a fun time of year. During the first week of October, I can count on the annual International Boxing Hall of Fame ballot arriving from the boys in Canastota which ultimately yields both a 1,200-or-so word column in which I announce my votes, and an inbox full of emails telling me I'm a blubbering idiot. But in 2018, it's the gift that won't stop giving...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Gatti definitely number 1 all time most overrated

Comment

Legit. Every sport should adopt the 75% rule of Hockey and Baseball have set for their Halls of Fame. No one else gets their hall of fame as right as them. Set a standard of how much of a percentage of votes it takes to get in, and either you make it or you do not. If only one fighter has that percentage, good for him. If 6 make it, good for them. But taking three in regardless of qualifications, or in years when there are obviously more than three worthy, belittles the Hall and just makes Boxing look as silly as some of the scorecards in big fights.

Comment

GIF: Tommy Hearns vs. Pipino Cuevas - KO

Pipino Cuevas (inducted 2002): Quick... what's your most vivid memory of the former WBA welterweight champion? My guess is anyone who didn't say his spaghetti-legged KO loss to Thomas Hearns in August 1980 had it second only to the four-round stoppage by Roberto Duran

Pepino/Cucumber-Spaghetti KO was one of funniest I ever seen!

Pepino Cuevas must of got in the HOF for his devastating punching, according to Rings 2003 edition of ' Greatest puncher of all-time' Pepi is ranked 31, higher than : Lennox Lewis, Marvin Hagler, Joe Frazier, Carlos Monzon ; Retired with a record of 12-1 (11 KOs) in world title bouts.

So I think its safe to say Deontay 'Bronze-Bomber' Wilder is guarantee first ballot HOF, having KO all opponents! and soon to become lineal HW champion of the WORLD!
        Last edited by 1hourRun; 10-09-2018, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Pepino Cuevas must of got in the HOF for his devastating punching, according to Rings 2003 edition of ' Greatest puncher of all-time' Pepi is ranked 31, higher than : Lennox Lewis, Marvin Hagler, Joe Frazier, Carlos Monzon ; Retired with a record of 12-1 (11 KOs) in world title bouts.

So I think its safe to say Deontay 'Bronze-Bomber' Wilder is guarantee first ballot HOF, having KO all opponents! and soon to become lineal HW champion of the WORLD!
          Good gif! great centerline exposure by Hearns and a tremendous right hand. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
            Gatti definitely number 1 all time most overrated
            How can you say Gatti didnt belong though? He was in how many fight of the years? He personified what the public thought boxing should be during his career.

Comment

or

Its literally called the hall of fame. the level of fame you achieve surely has to factor into some inductions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                Good gif! great centerline exposure by Hearns and a tremendous right hand. Good stuff.
                Talk about lining-up your opponent, how did Pipi not see that coming?
                Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                or

Its literally called the hall of fame. the level of fame you achieve surely has to factor into some inductions.
                Mercy! That means Adrien Broner is getting in and Ryan Garcia with all his Instagram followers must be Luke-Sky-Walking on these haters! hehe.

Comment

Talk about lining-up your opponent, how did Pipi not see that coming?

Mercy! That means Adrien Broner is getting in and Ryan Garcia with all his Instagram followers must be Luke-Sky-Walking on these haters! hehe.
                  There is a difference between being infamous for being an idiot that didnt live up to their potential, and being in 3 fight of the years where it would have been 4 if 2 of your amazing fights didnt take place in the same year..

boxing is entertainment. You cant deny the ultimate entertainers
                  it doesnt diminsh the fighters that got in for their supreme skills.

Its not the hall of supreme skill, its to immortalize the important fighters of generations, and Gatti was definitely a big part of a generation, as was ward.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    There is a difference between being infamous for being an idiot that didnt live up to their potential, and being in 3 fight of the years where it would have been 4 if 2 of your amazing fights didnt take place in the same year..

boxing is entertainment. You cant deny the ultimate entertainers
                    it doesnt diminsh the fighters that got in for their supreme skills.

Its not the hall of supreme skill, its to immortalize the important fighters of generations, and Gatti was definitely a big part of a generation, as was ward.
                    Yep agree with that ^

Comment

Working...
                    X