Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are old school fighters better than present day fighters??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
    What I meant is that that is the last in a series of major rules changes that ushered in the era of "modern boxing." Not that any one isolated event signified the beginning.
    good of you to clear it up.

anyways, thats your opinion, mine is still that the modern era of boxing started in 1867 when the queensbury rules were published as it facilitated the creation of modern skill sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      Yes by in large they are.
      Please explain it than and show the numbers you have to prove it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        fat weighs more then muscle.

if the fighters are the same weight but bigger, that means that they must have a higher body fat% then some one thats the same weight but smaller.

and if fighters are the same weight but better conditioned they have less body fat in turn making them smaller.

so in reality, boxers of the same weight class either have to be smaller and better conditioned or bigger and fatter, assuming nothing has changed is not a viable conclusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by larryx1950 View Post
          why or why not

Where's Larry gone to? One or two unrelated replies then he disappears? I'm thinking this was either a troll thread or a numbers thread. I can imagine Larry being the type of guy to do that.

I came across an old thread in which Larry had this to say about himself "if carl thinks thats sexy he should get out more...im a broke ass ex con and have better looking whores than that" in relation to this girl: http://www.deporteshoy.com/Las%20bel...ordingley.html

His idea of a 'better looking whore' that he pulls you ask? Well, he put up this pic to show us. His regular thing I guess. http://ist1-4.filesor.com/**********..._black_ass.jpg
          Last edited by BennyST; 05-24-2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            Name one current welterweight who wouldn't be deposited onto the Moon by Tommy Hearns.
            Thomas Hearns is a modern fighter I am talking about guys from the 50s and before.

Comment

Thomas Hearns is a modern fighter I am talking about guys from the 50s and before.
              so like henry armstrong and sugar ray robinson? ted kid lewis? jack britton? mickey walker? barney ross?

or even NP jack dempsey who often fought right around 147?
              Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-24-2012, 03:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I think he's talking about fight night weight. Not so much general physical size, but weight. If that's the case then he's right simply because the guys have a day to put on a ton of water weight and hydrate themselves back to their real division weight, usually two divisions above the one they're fighting at.

So, while Clottey fights as a welterweight, he weighs in just above middleweight in older era fight terms. He is the same weight as a SMW. He's not actually a welterweight.

As far as I know Clottey has weighed in around 165 for most of his latter stage 147 fights.

It still doesn't change one fact though. Today's fighters don't fight at the division limit that older fighters did, so of course they are going to be bigger. They are not technically in the same division, not even remotely. This is a good quality pic of two middleweights from 50 years ago who at fight time weighed less than Clottey does for his welterweight bouts, meaning that back then Clottey would have been fighting these guys, not Emille Griffith or Luis Rodriguez.

Speaking of Emile and Luis: Two real welterweights, actually weighing within the division limit at fight time. Are Mayweather and Pac, the only two guys today at 147 who weigh in at the actual division limit as these fighters did, bigger and stronger than these two? Both of these guys in their fights weighed in under the limit and that's the weight they fought at.
                Last edited by BennyST; 05-24-2012, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• From before the 50's?

Here is a good pic of Joe Gans:

5'6 1/2" with a 71" reach. Today's fighter that weighs at or around 135? Well, let's use a good, famous example: Pacquiao. For the first Barrera and Marquez fights, he was unofficially a JWW. He weighed in at 137 against Marquez and would have done the same against Barrera or right about there. He's 5'6", with a shorter reach than Gans, and when fighting at 126, weighed more than Gans did when Gans fought at 135, when he usually weighed in under the limit.

So, Pac at 137 vs Gans at 135:

Comment

147 is 147 no matter how you look at it. Some fighters taller, some shorter, but the weight doesn't change. You seem to think there has been some kind of evolutional change where fighters are some how bigger today. They aren't. The only thing that has evolved (most would say devolved) is the rules.

Comment

So what magical event happened in 1960?

Hearns' prime was over 25 years ago. Certainly modern training and nutrition should have produced hundreds of better fighters than him since the 80s.

Comment

Working...
                      X