Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson Silva still wants Roy Jones

From the main page:

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    It appears that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is not ready to walk away. He still wants a boxing match with former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr. Several weeks ago, Silva called out Jones to a boxing match. Jones quickly accepted, but UFC president Dana White was only willing to let them fight under mixed-martial-arts rules, which Jones is not willing to do.

In a recent interview with MMA website Sherdog, Silva said he was confident that a fight with Jones would come together for 2009.

"I'm still confident this fight will happen," Silva said. "This can be this year or in 2009. I respect Dana White, the UFC owners and their point of view, but my vision is that I want this boxing match."

Silva said the fight "has to happen" and appears to want it badly. He feels the fight will be good for MMA and boxing, and seems to be a bit taken back that White will not allow the fight to come through.

"I have a contract with UFC; I respect them, I respect Dana White and I don't have anything to complain about the promotion -- they always treated me nicely," said Silva. "But this is my huge personal wish, a pro boxing fight against Roy Jones, who I consider the top boxer. I'm his fan as well. I'd like this fight to happen and I'll do everything possible to make it happen. Roy Jones stated his will to fight as well. He has an exceptional character, and we want this fight. This would be good for both sports - MMA and boxing. This would be historical! This has to happen! I can't believe that the people responsible to make it happen don't see that. They can't let the fans be without this match, which can mark the story of the fight sport."

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ boxingscene@hotmail.com
    [details

I think this fight's bound to happen. No doubt, Silva stands to make a lot more money in this fight than he does in any MMA. I think by saying this fight can happen in '09, Silva's probably alluding to a contract resigning to occur by then. If it comes to that, no doubt he'll dump the UFC contract and get in the ring, as he'll stand to make many more millions. Even if he had to dump the UFC, he'd still have considerable earning power (especially in the wake or the Jones fight, provided he doesn't get blown out in the first round) so he'd be potentially even bigger money in the MMA game.

Bottom line is MMA fighters don't make nearly as much per fight as boxers do. This is Silva's fasttrack to the big leagues.

On a side note, I'm ****ing sick of Dana White and the UFC and all their political bull****. I'm looking forward to their demise through mismanagement.
    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 04-18-2008, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by baserocks View Post
      I think this fight's bound to happen. No doubt, Silva stands to make a lot more money in this fight than he does in any MMA. I think by saying this fight can happen in '09, Silva's probably alluding to a contract resigning to occur by then. If it comes to that, no doubt he'll dump the UFC contract and get in the ring, as he'll stand to make many more millions. Even if he had to dump the UFC, he'd still have considerable earning power (especially in the wake or the Jones fight, provided he doesn't get blown out in the first round) so he'd be potentially even bigger money in the MMA game.

Bottom line is MMA fighters don't make nearly as much per fight as boxers do. This is Silva's fasttrack to the big leagues.

On a side note, I'm ****ing sick of Dana White and the UFC and all their political bull****. I'm looking forward to their demise through mismanagement.
      Great post man!!!!!

Glad to see the real MMA fans who know how **** really goes down and ain't sheep feeding into every stupid ****ing thing that comes out of that bald turds mouth.

Comment

Someone remind me which one is Anderson Silva? Theirs so many Silvas and Silvias that I get them confused, Is Anderson Silva the one that beat the **** out or Franklin? (Twice)

Comment

Yeah, thats him

Comment

I still think they should fight in a kickboxing match, no knees. Fairest way to go. I think Jones will own Silva in boxing. Maybe work somthing out where they have 3 fights, 1 in Boxing, 1 in MMA, and 1 kickboxing. I dunno, but Dana will never go for this.....

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
              I still think they should fight in a kickboxing match, no knees. Fairest way to go. I think Jones will own Silva in boxing. Maybe work somthing out where they have 3 fights, 1 in Boxing, 1 in MMA, and 1 kickboxing. I dunno, but Dana will never go for this.....
              No they should box because it's Silvas big mouth thats running not Jones. Jones never said he wanted to fight Silva, it's the other way around.

Silva thinks he's a bad ass, let him get in the ring with a real boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                No they should box because it's Silvas big mouth thats running not Jones. Jones never said he wanted to fight Silva, it's the other way around.

I was just suggesting a way to get Dana to go for it. And Silva is hardly running his mouth, I think he mentions how much he respects Jones, like 12 times in every interview...

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post

It's a business transaction.

Comment

Working...
                  X