Shin Splits / Calf Fatigue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shin Splits / Calf Fatigue

Hi guys

So as I've recently gotten into boxing I've been trying to increase my stamina and CV. I've always been a gym goer and 'heavier/stockier', so my cardio for extra calorie expenditure has always been a power walk for 20-30 mins.

As boxing is obviously more fast paced, I've started doing HIIT cardio or a fast paced jog.

Something which is annoying me is that my shins/calves give out quicker than my CV/heart does. I find that after about 6-7 minutes my breathing is getting heavier but its manageable, where as my calves are really quite fatigued and I get shin splits. I have some proper running shoes, just wondering if anyone has any tips or anything? The shin splits are the worst out of the two

Cheers
    Dan

Originally posted by DanUK94 View Post
    Hi guys

So as I've recently gotten into boxing I've been trying to increase my stamina and CV. I've always been a gym goer and 'heavier/stockier', so my cardio for extra calorie expenditure has always been a power walk for 20-30 mins.

As boxing is obviously more fast paced, I've started doing HIIT cardio or a fast paced jog.

Something which is annoying me is that my shins/calves give out quicker than my CV/heart does. I find that after about 6-7 minutes my breathing is getting heavier but its manageable, where as my calves are really quite fatigued and I get shin splits. I have some proper running shoes, just wondering if anyone has any tips or anything? The shin splits are the worst out of the two

Cheers
    Dan
    When I first started boxing, I believe what I got was shin splints, I pushed through them. They never ever came back. They came from jumping rope. Never really felt them other than doing that.

Listen to me - Jump rope... and jump it good. Be around people who can jump and try to get real good at it. The weight will come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
      When I first started boxing, I believe what I got was shin splints, I pushed through them. They never ever came back. They came from jumping rope. Never really felt them other than doing that.

Listen to me - Jump rope... and jump it good. Be around people who can jump and try to get real good at it. The weight will come off.
      Like you said, I think I just need to push through it, its probably my legs just getting used to running again.

I jump rope as part of my warm up and cool down, one of my favourite cardio types

Comment

I see we share a few things in common.

When you job, what part of the foot do you land on? Shin splints are often caused by that part of your leg trying to keep your foot from flexing, meaning like what happens if you land more on your heel. You land sortof on your hell and your toe wants to go downward since your heel area is now a point of rotation. The muscles along your shin keep it from doing so. Also if you land on the balls of your feet (forefoot striker) then you also stress that area but a bit differently. For many people who have a bit of extra weight on them they have to move to what is called "mid foot striker". That is one of many things I did to get rid of shin splints when I wanted to jog a few years ago, and what I'm doing now to get back up to just a max of two miles.

Another thing is rolling my calf from Achilles to lower hamstrings, rolling my shins, and ensuring a proper warmup before actually jogging. If you feel the need I've filled my tub with the coldest water my tap will do and soak my lower leg after a jog.

Comment

Ive never really had that happen before. I usually find that my energy gives out before anything else, especially at a rapid pace.

Comment

Originally posted by DanUK94 View Post
            Hi guys

Cheers
            Dan
            I think you would find it easier if you dropped some weight and retained less water...it tends to settle more in the lower extremities and cause cramping. Stretching and messaging out trigger points in the shins and calves will help of course...but I have found this happening to me a couple of times after bulking up and it resolves when I drop the weight. The heavier you are the more likely you will be to experience this.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              I think you would find it easier if you dropped some weight and retained less water...it tends to settle more in the lower extremities and cause cramping. Stretching and messaging out trigger points in the shins and calves will help of course...but I have found this happening to me a couple of times after bulking up and it resolves when I drop the weight. The heavier you are the more likely you will be to experience this.
              Cheers man - I guess I'm trying to do too much, too soon

Comment

Another vote here for foam rolling.

I would foam roll from above your achilles all the way to your glutes. Also, make sure to foam roll the front muscular part of your calves.

I tried to push through shin splints before and developed a stress fracture. Not saying that'll happen to you, but just sharing my experience. I found running 3, maybe 4, times a week was good for me and would help me avoid shin splints by getting enough rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Frog View Post
                  Another vote here for foam rolling.

I would foam roll from above your achilles all the way to your glutes. Also, make sure to foam roll the front muscular part of your calves.

I tried to push through shin splints before and developed a stress fracture. Not saying that'll happen to you, but just sharing my experience. I found running 3, maybe 4, times a week was good for me and would help me avoid shin splints by getting enough rest.
                  That's not a bad idea. I may try some foam rolling myself.

Comment

I used to get shin splints a long time ago from playing ball. I do a certain stretching excercise before any running now and I never have that problem anymore. Put both hands on a wall and have one foot forward and one foot behind it. Push against the wall and stretch your calves. Do both sides.

Comment

Working...
                    X