No announcement yet.

Bareknuckle fighting is a different game

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Boxing defensive maneuvers work fine in that sport, as Lobov could barely land anything on Malignaggi.

But offensively you can't just tee off on guys and reel off multi-punch combinations to the head. There is a real danger of hurting your hands like Paulie did yesterday.

I think precision is much more important and you have to be very careful about where you place your shots. It's also probably a good idea to concentrate heavily on the body too.

I posted this in the other thread but just for the record Paulie isn't the first boxing guy in bareknuckle. The already have boxing rep in there who has a belt ... Bobby Gunn. Gunn's breakdown on Paulie was the following going into the fight;

-------------------------
    “Right now I believe that Paulie has the boxing ability to box circles around this guy if he doesn’t do what a lot of boxers do.”

They freeze up, he said, because they are used to having wrapped hands and gloves.

“They can’t comprehend the difference from hand wraps and gloves, it’s psychological, it breaks them and it puts them into a hyperventilating state and they break down, I’m telling you something that’s the gospel truth. If Paulie can’t relax, I don’t know if he can fight bare-knuckle. I don’t know if he ever had a bare-knuckle fight, I don’t even know if he has fragile hands.

“You understand this sport requires hands like steel. I soak my hands in Epsom salt and rubbing alcohol every other day, I soak the skin on my hands. When I broke a hand it’s because I threw a punch with all my power, I only throw 40% in bare-knuckle fights. I hope these guys have had bare-knuckle fights in the past because it’s a different world, my friend.

“I hope that he’s a kid from Brooklyn, so he’s probably had a hundred street fights, you know I think he has. I hope he has. The other kid probably had a lot of street fights, too, so he’ll probably understand the concept. I hope they understand that this is not a regular sport, it’s not boxing and it’s not mixed martial arts, it is bare-knuckle boxing, different effin’ world, brother.”

Comment

First of all, I posted many times that Paulies hands would "shatter like dry macaroni" with the first punch. And....he broke his hand.

Second....this "sport" is NOTHING like a street fight because biting, kicking, gouging, beer-bottleing is not allowed. Call it what you like, just don't call it street fighting.

Third....I watched 4 of the fights....most of the fighters had no more skill than a bouncer at a local bar. Balls yes, skills no.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        Well it’s certainly not a sport for a pure boxer with no power.

I said yesterday that out of all boxers, Malignaggi would be the one you would pick last to go into a bareknuckle fight.

The thing is, you can’t even judge and score the fight on boxing standards. The onus is on aggression, which is why Paulie lost. He barely threw punches. People saying Paulie won are judging it as if it was a boxing match, which it wasn’t.

That said, i think a real boxer-puncher would whoop these other guys in these events, but it’s just not for potshotters that fight on the back foot.
        Yes but as I said earlier in another thread Paulie wasn't thrown to the wolves here either. He fought a MMA guy who didn't KO guys in MMA with 4oz gloves. It's not like they put Paulie in with McGregor who would have starched Paulie bad.

Thats why this fight played out like it did and its also why Paulie excepted the fight in the first place. He's fighting a MMA guy with little power and little reach in bare knuckle which is going to be the most favorable matchup he could get in that type of situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
          You’re aware in a street fight you can palm strike with Fast lighting combos
          I thought the same. In a streetfight you have to use a lot of palm strikes in order to protect the hands. Closed fists must be used sparingly and carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by fathergll View Post
            I posted this in the other thread but just for the record Paulie isn't the first boxing guy in bareknuckle. The already have boxing rep in there who has a belt ... Bobby Gunn. Gunn's breakdown on Paulie was the following going into the fight;

-------------------------
            “Right now I believe that Paulie has the boxing ability to box circles around this guy if he doesn’t do what a lot of boxers do.”

They freeze up, he said, because they are used to having wrapped hands and gloves.

“They can’t comprehend the difference from hand wraps and gloves, it’s psychological, it breaks them and it puts them into a hyperventilating state and they break down, I’m telling you something that’s the gospel truth. If Paulie can’t relax, I don’t know if he can fight bare-knuckle. I don’t know if he ever had a bare-knuckle fight, I don’t even know if he has fragile hands.

“You understand this sport requires hands like steel. I soak my hands in Epsom salt and rubbing alcohol every other day, I soak the skin on my hands. When I broke a hand it’s because I threw a punch with all my power, I only throw 40% in bare-knuckle fights. I hope these guys have had bare-knuckle fights in the past because it’s a different world, my friend.

“I hope that he’s a kid from Brooklyn, so he’s probably had a hundred street fights, you know I think he has. I hope he has. The other kid probably had a lot of street fights, too, so he’ll probably understand the concept. I hope they understand that this is not a regular sport, it’s not boxing and it’s not mixed martial arts, it is bare-knuckle boxing, different effin’ world, brother.”
            Good post. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
              You’re aware in a street fight you can palm strike with Fast lighting combos
              I mean sure you can slap but the muay thai guy will be clinching you and hiting you with fuking elbows in there. Elbows > Slaps

You can use palm strikes in bare knuckle. I've seen some fighters do it when they injure their hands in previous events. But they don't get the "respect" that they would with punches and usually get timed and countered. It's not as effective as you think it is.

Comment

For sure I think guys are going to have to condition their hands more.

Also maybe strike with a vertical fist. Jack Dempsey wrote about this and always maintaining the "power line" in his book. His advice might become relevant again.

Then there is the use of long, extended guards that the old time bareknuckle fighters used. Will those prove more useful for maintaining distance than shelling up behind a high guard?

The sport is still evolving and it will be interesting to see what practices the most effective fighters end up adopting.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg House View Post
                  I mean sure you can slap but the muay thai guy will be clinching you and hiting you with fuking elbows in there. Elbows > Slaps

You can use palm strikes in bare knuckle. I've seen some fighters do it when they injure their hands in previous events. But they don't get the "respect" that they would with punches and usually get timed and countered. It's not as effective as you think it is.
                  "Palm strikes=slaps"

I've broken slabs of concrete with those "slaps"

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    For sure I think guys are going to have to condition their hands more.

Also maybe strike with a vertical fist. Jack Dempsey wrote about this and always maintaining the "power line" in his book. His advice might become relevant again.

Then there is the use of long, extended guards that the old time bareknuckle fighters used. Will those prove more useful for maintaining distance than shelling up behind a high guard?

The sport is still evolving and it will be interesting to see what practices the most effective fighters end up adopting.
                    I think the "gypsy slick" style that guys like Tyson Fury and Billy Joe Saunders employ to great effect in pro boxing probably derives from bare knuckle boxing. I don't know if those two specifically had any bare knuckle fights but their training and stylistic principals would've likely been influenced by it anyway. The sport has a long unbroken tradition in that community, not like the American scene which looks like it's going to have to basically re-evolve from scratch

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                      "Palm strikes=slaps"

I've broken slabs of concrete with those "slaps"
                      LOL Palm Strikes >>>>> Boxing

Get this badass in the ring. He will teach those fools how to motherfuking street fight with them palm strikes!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X