No announcement yet.

Tyron Woodley rolls over Darren Till, retains title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyron Woodley rolls over Darren Till, retains title

Tyron Woodley retains his title with a submission win over Darren Till at UFC 228. Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
    Tyron Woodley made a statement Saturday night for everyone who has called him boring.

The UFC welterweight champion had perhaps his greatest performance to date in the main event of UFC 228, overwhelming Darren Till and finishing him with a D’Arce choke. The time of the stoppage at American Airlines Center in Dallas was 4:19 of the second round.

“There’s a lot of people who are hating against me,” Woodley said. “But there are a lot who are with me.”

Woodley, who is known for fighting in a methodical style, surprised the crowd by coming out agressive, immediately closing the distance, throwing punches, and shooting for takedowns. Woodley initiated the clinch to neutralize his taller foe, but twice over the course of the round, referee Dan Miragliotta made curious decisions to order restarts when both fighters were plainly working.

In the second round, though, Woodley wasn’t about to let the referee break things up. He dropped a charging Till with a perfectly placed right hand to the face, then began to unload a hellacious series of punches and elbows from top position.

Just as it appeared Woodley was starting to slow, he made his transition, expertly securing the D’Arce and forcing the Englishman to tap for his first career defeat. After securing his sixth career submission win, Woodley was awarded his black belt by his cornermen.

The win came after a 14-month layoff for Woodley (19-3-1), who was out in part due to shoulder surgery. He’s now 6-0-1 in his past seven. He says he has no one in particular in mind for his next fight.

“It’s kind of tough to say,” Woodley said. “Anytime I say I want to fight a certain person I don’t get the response I want, so I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing. Whoever they put i front of me, I’m going to beat him up.”

Till manned up to his loss and didn’t offer an excuses.

“Tyron was the better man,” said Till (17-1-1), who is now 5-1-1 in the UFC. “***** happens.”

"referee Dan Miragliotta made curious decisions to order restarts when both fighters were plainly working"

Wonder if Miragliotta is still gonna get his envelope filled with cash from Dana or not.

Respect to T-Wood doe. I honestly was expecting him to lose tonight between his age, latest injury, time off, jobs schedule outside the cage + the size disparity going on here. There seemed just too much sh^t lining up against T-Wood. Massive respect for him not just winning, but finishing this cat who they were trying to push as the next McGregor.

Comment

IMHO Darren Till is a no talent who was lucky to last as long as he did, but who knows - maybe now he will decide to forgo the extreme weight cutting and take his next fight at middleweight as he certainly will never be a match for Woodley. Also, I refuse to rule out the negative effects of a cut such as Till had to make; it had to have diminished his capacity to fight - talent or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Vae Victis View Post
        IMHO Darren Till is a no talent who was lucky to last as long as he did
        You musta not seen his previous fights if you think he's a "no talent". Most the pundits & bettors out there were leaning Till's way tonight. Till was even the non-champ betting favorite for the fight which seldom happens in UFC title bouts.

Comment

IMHO Darren Till is a no talent who was lucky to last as long as he did, but who knows - maybe now he will decide to forgo the extreme weight cutting and take his next fight at middleweight as he certainly will never be a match for Woodley. Also, I refuse to rule out the negative effects of a cut such as Till had to make; it had to have diminished his capacity to fight - talent or not.
          I don't know how anyone who watched his UFC fights pre-Cerrone thought he was going to be a great fighter lol, he gassed in the 3rd aganst Nicolas Dalby and almost got finished too lol

It took yet another passive performance from Wonderboy Thompson to get Till a title shot, and I knew Woodley wasn't going to just sit back and let Till outpoint him ... but ofc Till being cocky thought Tyron would be backing up all night

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            You musta not seen his previous fights if you think he's a "no talent". Most the pundits & bettors out there were leaning Till's way tonight. Till was even the non-champ betting favorite for the fight which seldom happens in UFC title bouts.
            haha only clowns picked Till

Sure it's MMA and anything can happen, but the smart money was on the cerebral champion. Tyron has made himself the man to beat at WW and he's a lot smarter than fans seem willing to give him credit for ... can't understand why, he's gameplanned everyone out of the fight since he took the belt off Lawler.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              As far as I'm concerned, both Till and Wonderboy Thompson lost that fight; neither man won it. I really did not understand the betting favorite status for Till either
              P.S. Wonderboy's style is (IMHO), "Look, a guy could get hurt in this sport, and I want to get out with my brain still intact." Now I don't blame him as MMA takes an awful toll on the fighters. It's just that Thompson limits his chances of winning with that philosophy.

Comment

In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to FightMetric: http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-det...6ac52bfb217761

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, both Till and Wonderboy Thompson lost that fight; neither man won it. I really did not understand the betting favorite status for Till either
                  P.S. Wonderboy's style is (IMHO), "Look, a guy could get hurt in this sport, and I want to get out with my brain still intact." Now I don't blame him as MMA takes an awful toll on the fighters. It's just that Thompson limits his chances of winning with that philosophy.
                  Wonderboy is a counterstriker. His fights are almost always boring until that moment when its over cuz of some crazy KO. His a weird matchup for a lot of guys. His fights with T-Wood were boring as f#ck TIL something happened & those few moments were exciting as sh^t. Thats standard Wonderboy sh^t.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn1 View Post
                    haha only clowns picked Till
                    Lotsa clowns in MMA media then according to you.

Actually thats probably about right, but its not cuz they picked Till.

Comment

Working...
                    X