No announcement yet.

It's impossible for us to be the only life in the universe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's impossible for us to be the only life in the universe

What else could be out there? the possibilities are infinite, yet startling. The universe may never end and there may be millions of other places with life that we will never know about. It's impossible to think that we are the only life out there.

11 assassination attempts on his life, killed a few days after this speech in his home..

Comment

Maybe. Doesn't at all follow that it has to be even remotely common. It's quite feasible that all other life in this galaxy is single-celled (or at least not reaching the level of complex animal life). The conditions for complex multicellular life to appear are exceedingly demanding. For example, if a planet hadn't collided with the earth around the time of it's formation, tilting it onto an axis and breaking off a large portion which became the moon, there would be no life here. That's only one of dozens of extremely specific conditions that had to be met. In the universe, sure there probably is or was other complex life (which does not have to be sentient mind you and may have already run its course and all died out in a majority of locales). Doesn't mean we will ever encounter it, even with impossible sci-fi space travel.
      Last edited by Miburo; 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

The universe, as we understand it thus far, is too fu.cking big for other liferform's not to exist, in simple high end math term's. It is pure human arrogance to think otherwise. As far as these other form's of "life", it may be beyond our simple grasp to comprehend. We still kill each other over stupid sh.it on the daily.

Comment

I wouldn't say "impossible" but it is probable that if there is any type of living organism out there is not likely a mammal or animal in nature. Even if we discovered some type of micro organism out there, I doubt we'll establish a line of communication with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
            The universe, as we understand it thus far, is too fu.cking big for other liferform's not to exist, in simple high end math term's. It is pure human arrogance to think otherwise. As far as these other form's of "life", it may be beyond our simple grasp to comprehend. We still kill each other over stupid sh.it on the daily.
            Indeed, but we have to bear in mind the utterly unique circumstances that allow there to be life on this planet. I don't even want to speculate on the probability of these conditions being found elsewhere, I'd guess at it being extremely low though.

Me personally, I do believe there is some form of life out there. I can't see it being the advanced kind like you would find in Star Trek - they would have found us by now surely! - but maybe some very basic form, who knows. I'm just gutted I won't be here the day humans determine whether there is or not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
              Indeed, but we have to bear in mind the utterly unique circumstances that allow there to be life on this planet. I don't even want to speculate on the probability of these conditions being found elsewhere, I'd guess at it being extremely low though.

Me personally, I do believe there is some form of life out there. I can't see it being the advanced kind like you would find in Star Trek - they would have found us by now surely! - but maybe some very basic form, who knows. I'm just gutted I won't be here the day humans determine whether there is or not.
              Yep, Fermi Paradox. With as many radio waves floating around out there as there are, we'd have picked up something by now if intelligent life was common in this galaxy.

Comment

life else where?

a planet else where with liveable conditions?

so that would involve what?

a very specific chain of events.

like a large amount of asteroids and meteors crashing into the earth depositing much of the earths water.

a very very large astroid hitting the earth to give us a moon and a metal core.

a metal core that gives us a magnetic field that protects us from solar winds ect.

an early earth with many volcanoes providing proper conditions for basic archai bacteria and virusus to begin their existance.

and then billions of years for the basic building blocks to happen to get together under the correct condidtions and in the perfect order for the basic archai bateria and virusus to start to form.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                  Yep, Fermi Paradox. With as many radio waves floating around out there as there are, we'd have picked up something by now if intelligent life was common in this galaxy.
                  Is our ability to pick up radio waves restricted to this galaxy then? or could it be possible intelligent life exists in other galaxies?

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
                    Is our ability to pick up radio waves restricted to this galaxy then? or could it be possible intelligent life exists in other galaxies?
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canis_Major_Dwarf_Galaxy

this would be the nearest galaxy.

this galaxy is 27,000 light years from us.

radio waves from this galaxy could reach us but it would take 27,000 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X