Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one know why Carlos Monzon never tested the water at Lightheavy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one know why Carlos Monzon never tested the water at Lightheavy?

He was big enougth and had the skill and chin to trouble any lightheavy.Imagine Foster vs Monzon, Monzon punched hard like a heavyweight so for me he could of beat foster

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
    He was big enougth and had the skill and chin to trouble any lightheavy.Imagine Foster vs Monzon, Monzon punched hard like a heavyweight so for me he could of beat foster
    Probably the same reason Marvin Hagler never moved up to face Michael Spinks. Even Ray Robinson only fought at 175 once, he fought well but lost and never ventured that high again.

As good as Monzon was, I wouldn't give him much chance of beating Bob Foster, who had torn through every light-heavy contender they could muster and was also competitive with top heavies of his era. Imo moving up to face dominant, powerful big guys like Spinks and Foster would be a near-certain loss for virtually any middleweight.

Had the 175 champ in their day been a Donny Lalonde type fighter, maybe they would have gone for it. But both were comfortable dominating their own division, so the prospect of facing an all-time great light-heavy and a likely heavy defeat is probably why they didn't bother. Had Jones, Hopkins and Calzaghe been faced with that prospect, I suspect they would have stayed in their own divisions too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
      Probably the same reason Marvin Hagler never moved up to face Michael Spinks. Even Ray Robinson only fought at 175 once, he fought well but lost and never ventured that high again.

As good as Monzon was, I wouldn't give him much chance of beating Bob Foster, who had torn through every light-heavy contender they could muster and was also competitive with top heavies of his era. Imo moving up to face dominant, powerful big guys like Spinks and Foster would be a near-certain loss for virtually any middleweight.

Had the 175 champ in their day been a Donny Lalonde type fighter, maybe they would have gone for it. But both were comfortable dominating their own division, so the prospect of facing an all-time great light-heavy and a likely heavy defeat is probably why they didn't bother. Had Jones, Hopkins and Calzaghe been faced with that prospect, I suspect they would have stayed in their own divisions too.
      The book i'am reading says how Robinson meet with Moore to make a fight at 175 but Moore felt he should be getting paid more then what Robinson was offering so it never went about.

And Robinson i know what trying to get a fight with Floyd Patterson but don't know what happened on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post

Kid,
        I agree with you 100% about Monzon vs Foster. Foster was used to KOing and getting hit by lightheavyweights and even heavyweights. Monzon never tested those waters.

Remember when Jose Naples ventured up 13 lbs to fight Monzon? I see the exact same thing happening if Carlos went up 15 to face Foster.

As for hitting power, I think Hearns at 160 hit harder than Monzon did at 160.
        Carlos had good power, but he was no Gerald McClelland or Julian Jackson. Or Bob Foster....

Cotto16, I often wondered how King Carlos would have done if he went up in weight as well. He was friends and stablemates with Victor Galindez. I'm sure they sparred. Carlos did the best for his career by staying planted at 160, where he attained legendary status. Had he moved up to 175 (since there was no 168 when he was active) he would not have dominated like he did at 160.

Kid, I gave you more good K for your post. Well said, sir!

Comment

Working...
        X