No announcement yet.

Is watching old fighters useless?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
    Robinson fought over a 100 bums / GGG could stop those 100 bums one every day.

You people are dreamers living in a time you weren't even born its the good ol days syndrome. even with the footage available were you can see how limited they were.

Man this will turn into some heated arguement...
    Gonna grab some snacks and watch

Comment

Try using an instruction manual from the 1960's to fix your modern car. See how you get on.

Comment

Yes useless.....................if you don't know what your viewing!

There might be 4 people on this site besides me who has a clue what technique & methods are in boxing.
        This is a "fan club" site not a knowledge sharing discussion.
        Fans here tell everyone that this guy is a "bum" and they don't even know what that term means in boxing. They talk about trunks and robes and entrance songs but never say a word about a
        pivot move and working an under/over!
        Because they Don't KNOW what their looking at!

They know Tall....Weight......Reach and how to read a record even if they don't know 90% of the names on it!

I don't know if Porky Pig is a better cartoon character than Daffy Duck but I'll bet there's a huge number of fans here that do.............

So watch whatever and make comments about things you have no clue about. Seems to be more kids here now than ever, of course they know everything, every new generation does.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by BuakawBanchamek View Post
          Man this will turn into some heated arguement...
          Gonna grab some snacks and watch
          Yes it does indeed. Opinions are like azzholes as they say. people have things backwards. Forget about old versus new, look for technical points, application, etc. There are modern trainers like Barry Robinson who discuss these points, but what you hear a lot of these days are empty cheering.. . "come on!!!!' When my dad boxed in the Marine Corps in the forties trainers gave directions, "when he snaps his jab, feint left and hook."

My point is that when exploring the technical points of boxing, as Ray Corso has said many times, inevitably you come to recognize the work of trainers like blackburn, Goldman, etc. and inevitably the fighters that show the technical luster, the ability to carry out technique in the midst of chaos, they are the fighters from the classical periods of the sport.

Maybe that is a coincidance? Maybe Vlad Klitsko, with his stationary ways, his cringing, and his china chin is the epiteme of heavyweight fighting...? Maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
            Robinson fought over a 100 bums / GGG could stop those 100 bums one every day.

You people are dreamers living in a time you weren't even born its the good ol days syndrome. even with the footage available were you can see how limited they were.

you're calling out the bums ray robinson fought with the same breath you're using to talk about the resume of gennady golovkin?

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
              Try using an instruction manual from the 1960's to fix your modern car. See how you get on.

try putting adrien broner and ray robinson in the same boxing ring.

broner is a world champion in 4 weight classes in your vaunted modern era. war 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

There might be 4 people on this site besides me who has a clue what technique & methods are in boxing.
                Fans here tell everyone that this guy is a "bum" and they don't even know what that term means in boxing. They talk about trunks and robes and entrance songs but never say a word about a

They know Tall....Weight......Reach and how to read a record even if they don't know 90% of the names on it!

I don't know if Porky Pig is a better cartoon character than Daffy Duck but I'll bet there's a huge number of fans here that do.............

So watch whatever and make comments about things you have no clue about. Seems to be more kids here now than ever, of course they know everything, every new generation does.

Ray
                So basically; "If a poster doesn't agree with my point of view and hold old school fighters and past generations in high regard then they don't know shid about boxing." You are correct in there being you and maybe four others who like to make believe that previous generations were so much better than modern fighters. You and only four others who have been blessed with the knowledge and wisdom to see that this is the way of things.

You rag on the NSB regulars but the History forum is no better. Full of elitist basement dwellers worshipping fighters they've never seen fighting. "Oh well somebody 80 years ago said this guy was the best ever, so it must be true." You people are out of touch with reality. A lot has happened since one grainy video of Charley Burley was recorded.

We all know that there are many things wrong with modern day boxing, many things that were better decades ago. But at the same time, boxing has developed and evolved in so many ways. I just can't take you people serious. It's common sense stuff we're talking here.

Breakthroughs are being made everywhere. Things which were acceptable in past decades have now been proven to be counterproductive and been phased out of boxing. Science has allowed for leaps and bounds to be made in regards to nutrition, training and general health. Yet we're supposed to believe that men from ninety years ago who drank and smoked right upto fight night, ran around in military boots with the most rudimentary training facilities would be untouchable today.

I realise you're all deluded and beyond help, but you should save your breath around these parts.

Comment

Hey sonny try earning a living in the sport for 50 YEARS!

Until then I don't care what you think because you don't KNOW sh*!.

My point was if you KNOW what your looking at you can learn. If you don't you won't! Old School. Modern Day, Current Day!!!

You don't know pronating from picking your nose!

Call me when you train your first state champ.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Ray
                    good job ray, summed it up

most people dont know or understand WTF they are watching....

Comment

Hey sonny try earning a living in the sport for 50 YEARS!

Until then I don't care what you think because you don't KNOW sh*!.

My point was if you KNOW what your looking at you can learn. If you don't you won't! Old School. Modern Day, Current Day!!!

You don't know pronating from picking your nose!

Call me when you train your first state champ.

Ray
                      Damn, great response.

Unfortunately the rebuttal will probably be along the lines of "I don't need to have actually boxed or trained a fighter......."

Comment

Working...
                      X