No announcement yet.

How do you hold your mitts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hold your mitts?

I just recently watched Danny Garcia on the mitts. He and the pad holder don't synergize at all. Garcia just does not hit the mitts as the trainer wants him to and misses a lot of them / sees them too late. But just look at it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbd...Thaboxingvoice

Which leads to my question(s):

How do your hold your mitts? Do you just hold them the way you want them, so your fighter has to figure out what to throw without talking?
    Do you call the combos, call numbers or even show them?
    Or do you hold the mitts Mayweather style where it is, kinda, choreographed?

And how can you avoid the mistakes / the lack of chemistry between your fighter and the mitt holder, as shown in the video?

Mayweather style.

Comment

On my hands.........

Comment

I saw nothing wrong with the way danny and dude did the mitts, I know you guys are probably used to people calling out combos adn he doing it or the mayweather style where its all just a routine but its media day they do that for the cameras cause it looks most impressive than just holding the mitt working on things.

When I hold the mitts, I do a lil but of everything, I just put the mitts out their show em the shots and he takes it or dont, then I call out numbers/combos, and then we also do the muscle memory show that mayweathers do (not to their level) where Its a full on nonstop combo routine. I think they all have their place, letting em figure it out teaches em how to pick his shots, calling em out also helps with syncing up the brain reaction time to the action time, and the muscle memory helps make them react off instinct and second nature, when we do the muscle memory one I mess up on the mitts its no big deal their able to adjust on the fly where it didnt even look like a hiccup anymore and that is what you want the entire mitt thing to accomplish where the fighter can recognize the opening fast and act on it quick all in a instant off of instinct/2nd nature already.

Comment

All of them. Show a simple combo and call it combo, then shout out jab, jab, double jab, cross, combo. Maybe move around a bit, alternate by shouting 2 out then showing 2 if they are 2 slow put them back down and say missed. Then go back to combo for 4 or 5 reps, back to shout out with combo thrown in. Usually the buzzer goes then.

The flashy mayweather style is always media day

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
            All of them. Show a simple combo and call it combo, then shout out jab, jab, double jab, cross, combo. Maybe move around a bit, alternate by shouting 2 out then showing 2 if they are 2 slow put them back down and say missed. Then go back to combo for 4 or 5 reps, back to shout out with combo thrown in. Usually the buzzer goes then.

The flashy mayweather style is always media day
            im teaching my newphew how to box right now and I do all of em once he learns everything 100% Im numbering the lil heavy bag I bought and gonna have em do the bag like mike and cus used to.

Comment

Working...
            X