Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong- Top 5 P4P or overrated due to romanticism?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
    No, I was implying making the gloves 2 oz smaller. 6 oz for 147 and below and 8 for 154/above. It's the hurt business. Truthfully, I don't think there is that much of a big difference in 8 and 10, but this is the hurt business. Getting ko'd early if far better for someone's health than getting punished for 30 minutes
    I'm fine with where they are at because we will never get smaller.aint it funny though how these mma guys brag about size of their gloves.i look at it like this boxers are not even allowed to wear less than 8 and its same comm just shows boxers hit much harder than mma guys

Comment

Keep in mind, boxing was the most popular sport in the USA at that time. The best athletes tended to go into boxing.

So his competition was very good. And he often fight and defeated men much bigger than himself.

Armstrong is one of the three greatest of all time, in my opinion, along with Langford and Greb.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hammer View Post
        Keep in mind, boxing was the most popular sport in the USA at that time. The best athletes tended to go into boxing.

So his competition was very good. And he often fight and defeated men much bigger than himself.

Armstrong is one of the three greatest of all time, in my opinion, along with Langford and Greb.
        I get on Armstrong and maybe greb in top 10 but it really hard to place Langford didn't kecheal fight him?and Johnson beat him a few times with a lota nds.but I know Johnson was much bigger

Comment

not sayin Langford not great just hard to place him with such little footage and the fact he fought all over the place in weight.ov because he was being ducked by many

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
            Please take the time to actually watch/study these guys before dismissing them. You should watch a guy like Armstrong and imagine how good he could've been in the modern day with benefits of modern technology, training etc.
            You're only looking at it 1-sided tho. If you're going to do the hypothetical thing and imagine how fighters from 70 years ago would be in present day then you can't just factor in the things that would possibly make them better. You also have to factor on the things that could possibly stop them from being as good. Imagine if srr had access to the type of money that Floyd has access to. Does it fight 200 times? Why would he? Does he take the same risks that he took in his career? Why would he? If srr had access to the kind of fortune and fame that mayweather has then he would've been a completely different fighter with a completely different mentality and he would've had a completely different career. It's the same thing for mayweather in reverse. If mayweather were born 60-70 years earlier and had to compete in srr's era, he would've been a completely different fighter with a completely different mentality and he would've had a completely different career. This is why it's silly to take these fantasy debates seriously. Fighters from eras that are a certain amount of time apart simply can't be compared accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
              I get on Armstrong and maybe greb in top 10 but it really hard to place Langford didn't kecheal fight him?and Johnson beat him a few times with a lota nds.but I know Johnson was much bigger
              The only time they had fought, on April 26, 1906, ended in a fifteen-round decision.

Johnson was much taller and heavier than Langford, and though he knocked down Langford in the sixth round, many spectators felt Langford had won the bout.

Johnson had been fighting top heavyweights. Langford had been fighting at welterweight and weighed 156 for this fight. Later Johnson avoided Langford.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hammer View Post
                The only time they had fought, on April 26, 1906, ended in a fifteen-round decision.

Johnson was much taller and heavier than Langford, and though he knocked down Langford in the sixth round, many spectators felt Langford had won the bout.

Johnson had been fighting top heavyweights. Langford had been fighting at welterweight and weighed 156 for this fight. Later Johnson avoided Langford.
                he avoided ALL black fighter after he won title but had winning rec with all of them lang,mcvey,ed martin,and I more wose name I forget

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Your just typing what everyone knows...where are the NEW techniques you spoke about. As far as conditioning the fighters then were in far better "boxing shape" than the men today.
                  "cryogenic chambers" seriously this isn't basketball where you need to recover quickly. When you fight these days you have six full months to recover. Robinson might have taken advantage of this because he fought MONTHLY!

"your a nobody in boxing"......I was IN boxing, you on the other hand have never visited a gym. My gym name is still in existence today producing state, regional and national competitors and champions since 1969.
                  World Champions have come to me for prep work prior to title fights how many country have you boxed in?
                  What historical venues have you boxed in? Disney Land!

Quoting old statements from BoxRec and making believe you actually knew what happened then is a joke.

My mentors were outstanding men in the sport and they taught me well. If you want to actually talk Methods & Techniques then do it but don't BS about "new" techniques when you have no idea how to perform them and you damn sure can't teach them.

Ray
                  Type Ray Corso boxing into google and see what you find; I'll answer that for you **** all. Your full of **** kid go hold the spit bucket in your imaginary gym. Your no different than any of the other people on this forum. We're all just boxing fans with opinion's. Difference is the majority of us can have a debate without becoming a passive-aggressive, narrow minded, condescending A**hole.

Comment

Originally posted by juandabomb View Post
                    miguel cotto is greater than henry...goat baby
                    Not on this side of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                      I honestly hope your trolling.
                      SSR is the most phenomenal fighter to ever lace 'em up.
                      No, I am not trolling. He was great relative to his era, but by today's standards, he had many holes in his game.

Comment

Working...
                      X